Thread: grandpa's moccasins

Default grandpa's moccasins

I mentioned these mocs in a previous thread. For fun I figured I'd post a few pictures. These were my great grandpas. My great grandpa was born in 1878. he lived near riley center in michigan on the belle river. the story goes that indians camped on a ridge near the river every year. a indian women made him these mocs, I don't know why. I figure he was about 10 years old due to the size of the mocs, give or take a few years. my dad gave these to me a few years back and told me the story. I remember the story from when I was a kid but I didn't have any particulars. they're really not in too bad of shape for their age.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those are really amazing! look at the neat stitching, I'm sure done by hand. I wonder what that tree is on the toes. Any idea? That's really cool to have a piece of history like that. Thanks for sharing these. I notice they are done with the "bunch" method, then cut and topped for sure fit. What are they sewn with. I wouldn't think thread would last 110 years..
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Very cool, and a neat piece of family history.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanks for the comments.
    I think they were sewn with a linen thread. the embroidery is a ojibway symbol although this is non typical I was told. I suspect he wore these that summer and then put them in a drawer and there they were all those years. I also have a civil war cartridge pouch and cap box pouch that had belonged to him. He must have picked those up in a trade somewhere.

Those are outstanding! Thanks for sharing. Oh, to know the full story and who made them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for sharing. What a great story, makes me want to hear more. You answered my question Ojibway. I have a full elk hide to make mocs this winter for my wife and I. The pictures will help. The Native American exhibit at the Denver Art Museum is under renovation so my research was re directed.

Randyt, It looks like the flaps were sewn to the sides using a welt or a tape or covered cord sewn into a seam as reinforcement. can you confirm that?

I was also wondering what the inside looked like. Is there a inner sole or perhaps another piece of hide to further protect the foot?

Thanks again
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

This is the style I had made for me by a guy who loved to make things from scratch. They were made from thick leather, lined with fluffy wool. I only went outside with them in the summer a couple times, but they were certainly tough enough for outdoor use on rocky soil.

You will notice there are relatively few seams on this style. That makes them quick and easy to make. The pair I had made had onlyl 3 pieces: bottom and sides were one piece, tongue and top of foot was another pice, and there was another piece behind the heel. There are other styles I've seen which have more seams and pieces.

Super pair of moccasins. The person that made those really did a nice job. It's really special to have a piece of one's family history like that. Looking at the pics reminds of a pair of moccasins I saw on antique roadshow a few years back.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure how to describe the seam, it's the way the leather is rolled onto it self. no tape or cord. the soles are single layer. I believe this style is called eastern woodlands puckered toe style. these mocs have a longer tongue and ankle flap than most I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure how to describe the seam, it's the way the leather is rolled onto it self. no tape or cord. the soles are single layer. I believe this style is called eastern woodlands puckered toe style. these mocs have a longer tongue and ankle flap than most I've seen.
    Yes, I totally agree with the style. I had the opportunity to examine a pair from the 1800's to day. It was a center seam puckered tow style from the planes. Interesting thing was that the soft sole was sewn with the mocc inside out using a whip stitch with a linen thread i think. Then the mocc was turned inside out and the excess was trimmed close to the stitch. That almost looked like a welt but it was the fold over on the edge of the tops. I hope to start working on them in a week or so. If can keep my wits and patience about me i'll try to document the process. Documenting seems to get in the way some times.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hey Randy, have you ever considered talking to the Michigan Ojibwe to see if they might know who that particular tribe was? You might be surprised how much information they have.

You might remember me talking about Potawatomi and the large settlement near my home. The Ojibwe, Ottawa and Potawatomi had a long standing alliance in the Midwest known as Council of Three Fires. Together, they were strong enough to battle the Iroquois and Sioux and be successful making them one of the strongest alliances in the region.

Here is the Facebook page for the Ojibwe. You might be able to find a contact through it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ojibwe/103759832995518

If not, here's the Facebook page for Council of Three Fires.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Counci...45532228790547
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick,

thanks for the info. I think I'll check into that it would be interesting to see if the group that camped there along the Belle river would be known.

that's very interesting and surprised they've led up so long with rotting.

Awesome!

My dad has a friend that collects every kind of Native American artifact you could think of and he has a pair of moccasins made from yucca (I think that is what he said) that were found in a cave. I don’t remember how old they were other than they were very, very old.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Very cool, nice to see such workmanship (workwomenship?).
    Thanks!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27