Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Black Walnut for bark tanning

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Staker softened for the most part, then rolled. This piece is about as soft and flimsy as this cow is going to get. I know you can't "feel" the picture, but hopefully it will convey a bit of the texture. It feels like most commercial cowhide leather that I've experienced, except it's much thicker, since I didn't split it.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This is the texture after rolling grain to grain
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Gryff had asked me before if there was a way to tell which way the grain runs on leather. Without actually seeing it being made, the distinction can be hard to make. I mention the "triangle" where the hairs come from. If you look closely, you can see the triangle, and you can tell that the hair in this area ran from top left of the pic, to bottom right (maybe you can tell lol).

I love the knowledge from this site. It will be interesting to see what shade my 'alpaca' fiber turns out after dying it with black walnut...

Did you ever finish tanning the hide, and did it turn out well? I read on one webpage that tanning with black walnut hulls may result in a brittle, I've collected a bunch of black walnut hulls that I would like to use at least some of for tanning, so I'm really curious to find out if it works to tan with them or not.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes. Some pieces are like body armor, and easily soaked and molded, and the pieces I softened are pliable yet tough enough for moccasin soles.
    Let's see... I made this leather three years ago, so it's pretty durable with no sign of molding or rot.