Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making Tallow Candles

I used fiberglass wick for my bacon candles. You can purchase them on the net. They are pretty cheap. I made this tute in 2009 and the candles are still good.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...acon%20candles
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I used fiberglass wick for my bacon candles. You can purchase them on the net. They are pretty cheap. I made this tute in 2009 and the candles are still good.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...acon%20candles
    Have ya eaten any of them to make sure there still good!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Thanks Sarge! I posted this on facebook as well under the title, "FOR BACON LOVERS ONLY"..lol bet my wife loves it!
    a-romantic-bacon-scented-survival-candle/
    He who has ears to hear and eyes to see...learns something daily...

I read a book in my early teens about a fellow who moved as far north of a small outskirt town as he could get. (don't recall which town or what the book was called :sad ) He built his own log cabin and at some point learned to use the oil in Smelt fish to make oil for lanterns. Yup it smelt fishy but the smelts back then ran thick up the rivers all over north america, plentiful and free. Smelts taste good with salt and vinegar. The smelt could also be dried as fish jerky. His dog loved them also...lol
    He who has ears to hear and eyes to see...learns something daily...

I remember when the smelt ran thick, it was nothing to get a couple buckets of smelt in short order.

The bacon candles don't smell like bacon. They don't have much odor at all. And no, I haven't tasted them. They went rancid some time back but they still work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Picked up an antique-y candle mold last year......then found out I could get a new one form Jas. Townsend at about 1/2 have the price....LOL
    Anyway mine is old.
    http://jas-townsend.com/advanced_sea...ac99ce&x=0&y=0
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can't believe I missed this tutorial 3 years ago. It is a really good one. Recently I have been looking at pemmican. I think I am going to make some. I don't have any deer or elk, but there is a few local beef ranchers that have grass only beef. From my limited research online, the tallow from grass only animals (not corn) contains a lot of omega 3s. Apparently men have lived off of pemmican year round without getting scurvy.
    Anyways, great tutorial.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Great tutorial and helpful comments... thanks so much.