Thread: Natural Adhesives for Healing Wounds

Cool Natural Adhesives for Healing Wounds

Well, I just want to hear from you guys concerning natural adhesives with medicinal uses.

Kindly share with us your experiences about natural materials that can heal cuts or other wounds through its stickiness. It's a lot useful because instead of using sutures, you use "natural glues" instead.

Hmmm. So I guess I'll start.
    Honey, pine resin pitch, snail slime (i guess?).

I don't really know much actually. Hahaha.

I don't think I'd be too quick to put any of that in a wound. There are better ways to deal with cuts than packing something in it that might cause an infection.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm a big fan of balsam pitch. Balsam is a important tree, almost as important as paper birch.
    here's a link.
    http://earthnotes.tripod.com/balsam.htm
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

This is gonna be kinda tough.....most people that get a cut, used standard First aid.....or if bad enough, professional help.
    Most information would be anecdotal, or speculation, I would think.

I have heard that spider webs can be used to pack a wound,....but have not tried it.

Let us know what you find out.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A old tee shirt works best, I have first hand experience with that.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    A old tee shirt works best, I have first hand experience with that.
    Or shop rag......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Pack dirt in there and wrap it with duct tape until you find some tree sap. Use clean dirt.
    Last edited by pete lynch; 05-06-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: misspelled due to sap, dirt and duct tape on fingers while typing
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

You could probably boil the dirt to insure it's sterile. Of course, if you are bleeding a LOT you could probably boil that and poke it back in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Honey and a clean rag or bandage works well, and you won't get a screaming infection using this method!

Here's something I know works because I've tried it. Powdered sugar.
    When I was a kid, I dropped a bottle of milk on a hard surface which shattered and a piece of shard flew and cut the side of my leg right around the knee bend. It was a small cut but wouldn't stop bleeding no matter what I did. Didn't want to tell mom because I figured she'd give me a hard time over the broken bottle. An old lady, a neighbor of ours, poured some powdered sugar in it, and like magic, it stopped bleeding and was crusty in a few hours. Mom never found out.

Might as well stuff some sphagnum peat and puffball spores in there.

Quote Originally Posted by B
    Powdered sugar

So that's why you are so sweet.

(if that didn't earn me an attaboy nothin' will)

"Langdale says he knows instinct is the one thing that really saved him.

"I started to make my way up the bank and my arm was bleeding really badly so I started grabbing some spider webs and grabbing whatever I could. I put the spider webs on my arm because it'll stop the bleeding," he said."

This kid got his arm tore off by a gator and used spider webs to stop the bleeding.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/18994258/...-about-the-arm

I have read about a bunch of other plants used as both an antiseptic and a dressing. Pine pitch and the inner bark of the strangler fig is all I could remember though.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Here's something I know works because I've tried it. Powdered sugar.
    When I was a kid, I dropped a bottle of milk on a hard surface which shattered and a piece of shard flew and cut the side of my leg right around the knee bend. It was a small cut but wouldn't stop bleeding no matter what I did. Didn't want to tell mom because I figured she'd give me a hard time over the broken bottle. An old lady, a neighbor of ours, poured some powdered sugar in it, and like magic, it stopped bleeding and was crusty in a few hours. Mom never found out.
    Was it confectioner's sugar or just super-fine sugar? If it was confectioner's, the corn starch may have helped a bit.

sugar is good stuff, here's a link

http://www.tngun.com/how-to-make-sugardine-antiseptic/