Thread: How to tie the "long" turks head PART 3

Default How to tie the "long" turks head PART 3

In this installment of the long turks head tutorial, I make the first few passes of the knot, explaining the critical points along the way....
    check it out!

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With all the diagrams and pictures, and directions, and lingo, I admit I was lost. This makes it seem so easy!
    So what if you wanted to build this wider, with more "turns" on the rim? What about less twists around the handle?
    Can a herringbone be done in this same fashion or does it follow other rules?

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    With all the diagrams and pictures, and directions, and lingo, I admit I was lost. This makes it seem so easy!
    So what if you wanted to build this wider, with more "turns" on the rim? What about less twists around the handle?
    Can a herringbone be done in this same fashion or does it follow other rules?
    the more turns, the less spirals/twists you need; unfortunately the cord diameter, the item's handle diameter etc. all factor in. essentially, take your item, throw on any number of pegs and a spiral or two for each 6"+/- and see how it comes out; if it doesn't "fill in" the way you want it to in the number of passes you want, then add more turns, or more spirals. there is a program someone wrote on knotheads worldwide to generate turks head patterns, but I can't get it to run on exporer and it seems more complicated than I need! the fiskars is a good frame of reference, for a 3 turn turks head with paracord. the hiking staff I showed was a 5 turn (peg) turks head, and I only spiraled 1.5 times; it took 4 passes (tan outers and two black inners) to cover abujt 6". I could probably have ended up with only 3 passes for 6" handle if I spiraled 2 full times. therefore, If I wanted to wrap 12" of staff similarly, I'd need about 4 spirals in the 12" between the pegs.

bottom line is you have to experiment; just remember the "rules" like what to do on the original return pass if you've got an even number of pegs vs. odd number, and then from the third pass onward to the complete formation of the knot you need to just do the opposite of the previous - this is true for any number combo of "spirals" and "pegs/turns".

have you also seen my video on how to use a "peg board" to form more square turks heads?

Blog Entries

I did it! Finally without having to look back at videos or books, I just remembered the rules you said, and it turned out great! I think this makes a 7Bx29L (still not good with the lingo).
    I thought I had messed it up several times with the 2 over / 2 under quirk, but I remembered to follow the previous lead and it all worked just like you said!
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I used a paper towel roll with thumbtacks and a rubber band on each end to hold them in.

I gotta get some more paracord, but I'll be putting one like this on my machete handle. Thanks for doing this series. Really helps to make sense of the knots.

A question: it makes no difference how many twists you make around the object, the rules are always the same?

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

um am i missing somthin?
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Probably....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenscar View Post
    um am i missing somthin?
    Yep. That would be my guess.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I did it! Finally without having to look back at videos or books, I just remembered the rules you said, and it turned out great! I think this makes a 7Bx29L (still not good with the lingo).
    I thought I had messed it up several times with the 2 over / 2 under quirk, but I remembered to follow the previous lead and it all worked just like you said!

I gotta get some more paracord, but I'll be putting one like this on my machete handle. Thanks for doing this series. Really helps to make sense of the knots.

A question: it makes no difference how many twists you make around the object, the rules are always the same?
    Brilliant work! you made my day showing me your success. thanks for sharing! to your last point, YES it makes no difference the number of twists (just don't forget the even/odd number of pegs means a different way coming back off the first turn!

Blog Entries

I put a 3B on my machete handle but it made it too bulky. The achievement there was I did it without using pins.. did it on the fly.

The rules are simple and the way you explain it in your video makes it so easy to remember and DO that I feel like anybody could do just what I did.. Watch, listen, learn, and wrap anything!! (not like eminem either!!)

Could we merge the 3 threads and make them a sticky? These instructions are too good to get lost in the forums!! By far the easiest of all the videos I watched. The explanations are what set it apart from the rest!!

I put a 3B on my machete handle but it made it too bulky. The achievement there was I did it without using pins.. did it on the fly.

The rules are simple and the way you explain it in your video makes it so easy to remember and DO that I feel like anybody could do just what I did.. Watch, listen, learn, and wrap anything!! (not like eminem either!!)

Could we merge the 3 threads and make them a sticky? These instructions are too good to get lost in the forums!! By far the easiest of all the videos I watched. The explanations are what set it apart from the rest!!
    YCC, your feedback makes the effort for this series worthwhile! I'm still hoping to do a final where I show how I prefer to finish and bury all the ends. Please keep up with your efforts and post pics!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hmm, interesting. I think this might be involved in our winter projects. Downloading video now!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I think this might be involved in our winter projects. Downloading video now!
    great! I hope to see some pictures.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Definatly something I want to try with my kids. They would both love it and probably be pretty good. I'll be watching more of your videos with them. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Made the grip a little too bulky, but I did it without using pins. Interesting the way it fills in. I started with a 3b and ended with 7b just by moving the previous lay back and filling in.

This is too cool. Thanks Kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by paracordist View Post
    In this installment of the long turks head tutorial, I make the first few passes of the knot, explaining the critical points along the way....
    check it out!
    Thanks, man, I bookmarked to vid as well.

Did you do one on rifle slings?
    Looked thru your other posting......

Made a couple, one with the cobra weave, was trying the 6 string, and ended up with a two part cobra weave(sorta) attached togeather.
    Looking for something wider.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter - Try the King Cobra. It's twice as wide as the Cobra.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Para...-Cobra-Stitch/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hunter - Try the King Cobra. It's twice as wide as the Cobra.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Para...-Cobra-Stitch/
    Thanks, maybe I will give that a try...........

This was the one I was trying...LOL, I never said I was good at it:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Wide.../step2/Step-1/

Came out like this...

I was kinda hoping paracordist would kinda jump in here with one of his vids, if you know what I mean?

[IMG]
    Made the grip a little too bulky, but I did it without using pins. Interesting the way it fills in. I started with a 3b and ended with 7b just by moving the previous lay back and filling in.

This is too cool. Thanks Kevin!
    I'm very impressed. Great job. Thanks for sharing your pics. If you ever want to follow those around a 2nd or third time, just do fewer "spirals".

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Thanks, man, I bookmarked to vid as well.

Did you do one on rifle slings?
    Looked thru your other posting......

Made a couple, one with the cobra weave, was trying the 6 string, and ended up with a two part cobra weave(sorta) attached togeather.
    Looking for something wider.
    closest think I've done to a rifle sling are my videos on the sog fusion sling. those are not really tutorials. check them out though, because that techniqe makes the best, most comfy strap in my opinion. it also uses tons of paracord (great if you need it) and comes apart much easier than a cobra. see stormdranes instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Wove...eletwatchband/ for a watchband, but just add more cords for wider but use the same technique. very easy, very cool.

Thanks, PC, looks like I could handle that one, you da man.

Didn't mean to hyjack the thread, thanks again.