Thread: Hi from Charibelle18 in Tulsa, OK

Wink Hi from Charibelle18 in Tulsa, OK

I am a 49 year old female. I grew up mostly in Tulsa, OK, via Long Beach, CA, & Joplin, MO.

I am disabled, but able to get around well enough. I was studying to be a nurse, but my mom got sick, & I ended up taking care of her, then my husbands health went downhill. It was a good thing I learned as much as I did, because I sure did get to use it. My husband passed away 3 years ago. I of course had first aid, CPR, & many other classes in health. I took some ROTC classes when I first went to college, in map reading, marksmanship, & repelling. I used to shoot with a friend at the Nat Guard Armory. I was the only female to survive the marksmanship class, & was excused from the final so the guys wouldn't be intimidated.

I grew up camping & hiking a lot. I was taught a good bit
    about edible plants as we hiked. My dad also taught about weapon making, ie. knapping & putting handles on tomahawks, knife making... When I got older, & between health insurances, I started studying herbs, & their medicinal uses. This helped greatly with my own health, & I passed on this info to anyone who would listen. I was also a great fan of the series; "My side of the Mountain". I was very interested in the edible plants he used. This got me searching to learn more about what I could find. I was in Girl Guards (like Girl Scouts) as a kid, & learned what I could through that.

I would have to rate my level of experience at somewhere between intermediate, & advanced, with instructor thrown in in some areas.

I would have to say that my preparedness planning would have to be the same. A friend of mine who is male & 10 years younger, was talking to me & asked who I thought would last longer if dropped out in the wilderness. I told him that I would. He laughed. I said ok, were dropped into the wilderness in separate areas, near fresh water & green vegetation. I said that I would have to have several knives, my fold up shovel, & my machete, some dental floss, flint & steel, & nippers for limbs. First I would make shelter for myself, & find some food. I explained how, & he thought I was lying about the abundance of food available to anyone who knew about it. I then started leading him to web sites & telling him about some of the foods available in his area (CO). He said he would spend the first night cold & hungry. He also thought that because his health was much better than mine, that he would stand the better chance.

So you see I'm a natural teacher. My daughters preschool teachers called me scared that she was going to poison herself by eating wild plants around the playground. I laughed & told them that I had taught her 3 plants that she could eat, & she would only pick those. She is 15 now & knows many more. My friend is here in Tulsa now & I am taking him around & teaching him what I know. I like camping, hiking (when the weather, & my joints permit), music, reading, & learning more.

As a member I plan on sharing what I know, & learning more.
    Chari

"The past gives us experience and memories; the present gives us challenges and opportunities; the future gives us vision and hope."

William Arthur Ward

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hello & Welcome, nice intro.

Blog Entries

Hello and welcome
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Howdy and welcome aboard
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Welcome home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Welcome, it's nice to meet you.
    Thanks for a wonderful intro.

I do feel like I'm home. This is all stuff that I'm interested in, & have been for most of my life. Thanks for the welcome.
    Chari

"The past gives us experience and memories; the present gives us challenges and opportunities; the future gives us vision and hope."

William Arthur Ward

'elo and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience and will fit in well!
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Cool Hi & Welcome!

Welcome to the Wolf-Pack! I have an ex, a daughter, with two girls, my grandchildren, that live in Tulsa. My son by my 1st marriage , a former Marine, lives in near-by Sapulpa with his wife & 3 more of my grand-children. Welcome aboard! Sounds to me you're gonna fit right in around here!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hello and welcome.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hunter63, saying, Hey, welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default Thanksgiving

May God bless you & keep you. May he make His light to shine upon you. And may He grant you peace.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours from me & mine.

Chari

William Arthur Ward

I'm willing to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by skookumchetwoot View Post
    I'm willing to listen.
    Your first three posts have been rather odd, along with your blog entry. Since you seem to have stumbled upon the Introduction section why not use it to start a thread and tell us about yourself?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Heck yeah!! That was a very good Intro!! Welcome Home.

Hey glad to see you made to the intro. Well welcome to the diabled club. It is not exactly the club that anyone wants to join. I am interested in medicinal plants as well. Just have not done alot about learning except what I know from being a country girl.