Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Officially off the grid

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Nice cabin, roughly what would a place like that sell for in that location....today......?

Pretty sure the majority of the homes up here are on half an acre and there's lots of chunks of land for sale. Most places start at or around 150k and go on up to 500k. We came in at a little under 2. I know I could get 100 acres and a huuuuge place in NY where I came from for that but...location, location.

Quote Originally Posted by RCKCRWLER View Post
    Pretty sure the majority of the homes up here are on half an acre and there's lots of chunks of land for sale. Most places start at or around 150k and go on up to 500k. We came in at a little under 2. I know I could get 100 acres and a huuuuge place in NY where I came from for that but...location, location.
    Where?!
    Seriously, I'd really like to know. (not being facetious)

I am originally from Attica NY in Wyoming county, farm land, there are old homesteads up for sale pretty much all over. The county has more cows than people. If you are serious about looking for a place my old roommate is a realtor I'll pm you his number.

Nice looking place and a VERY nice area. Not like Vegas in any way. (Except the lights from Vegas sure do mess up what would be a pretty sky at night).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Ya but not too bad. At least I can see the stars again!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am originally from Attica NY in Wyoming county, farm land, there are old homesteads up for sale pretty much all over. The county has more cows than people. If you are serious about looking for a place my old roommate is a Realtor I'll pm you his number.
    We had a place just 4 miles north of Attica, NY.......very beautiful country, with lots and lots of snakes.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-19-2010 at 04:12 PM.

We had a place just 4 miles north of Attica, NY.......very beautiful country, with lots and lots of snakes.
    Alexander?

Curious what kind of communication you have. Phone? Radio?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Curious what kind of communication you have. Phone? Radio?

Verizon cell service and I can actually pull 1 radio station out of Utah. Nothing out of Vegas. I can listen to internet radio to the driveway but if I skip ahead to the next song I'll lose the signal. So, not much service but enough. I will probably end up getting a repeater, depending on wattage used, and place it on top of the house somewhere for a stronger cell signal/internet.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Under 200,K for the land and building, or just the land.....?

How often do you end up in town and do you worry about medical emergencies at all? Also, you mentioned solar panels, why not wind? I thought it was cheaper.

That's a very nice home. Congrats!
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Good looking place, do you have a well for water or what?

Under 200,K for the land and building, or just the land.....?
    Both, in our case. There is a lot by the creek that the owner wants $250k for it with nothing on it but trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    How often do you end up in town and do you worry about medical emergencies at all? Also, you mentioned solar panels, why not wind? I thought it was cheaper.
    In town everyday for work. Always in the back of my mind about medical emergencies. Closest hospital is 40 minutes away. Definitely could have used windmills this weekend witht the gusts to 90 mph! There are only a couple of neighbore sith windmills and I haven't had a chance to talk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat1958 View Post
    Good looking place, do you have a well for water or what?

There is a huge water tower, not sure of size, that is gravity feed water for the town. So essentially city water.