Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I watched Glen Beck last night

Default I watched Glen Beck last night

Usually the guy freaks me out but this time he spoke of how we should help each other through the times ahead and preparation means we are not part of the problem and with excess preparation we could help others and actually be part of the solution. I've been putting up food stores and one thing I have been doing is putting up more rice than I'll ever eat to help others. I've also set up my fishing to catch enough fish to feed several families and my garden 3 times the size I need. How many are preparing to feed more than just themselves? Family and friends that are not preparing count as well. I am wondering if thier are enough doing this to make a difference.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 11-16-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm the only one in my family I know of who has more than a weeks supply of food available at any time, AS. So yup, I plan for helping them out. I'm also the only one who has a veg garden. I managed to grow enough veg to provide me and my son with veg all summer, I have fruit , tomatoes canned. Frozen some veg.
    I will share with family, but a do get annoyed when they EXPECT me to turn over more of my garden to give them veg, when they all have room to grow their own. Same with the chickens, funny how they remember where I live when it's time to kill off the meat birds. None of them are interested in learning anything useful. They're all money driven, I'm afraid.

We don't get Glen Beck over here, but I would broadly agree with the sentiment. Whether there are enough like minded people out there to make that difference is hard to say.
    Last edited by Winnie; 11-16-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

That guy is just weird. Sometimes he lounges around kooksville and other times he's right on the money. I've never figured him out.

If we look to other societies that have had massive disasters (Haiti, Indonesia, etc.) the only way they were able to cope was to pull together and help each other. Every place that has been devastated has rebounded by helping each other.

I'm with you on the preps. My plans include my larger family as well as my immediate family and I'm sure I'll have to help out some neighbors as well. I think there is some mental healing in helping others as well as physical rebuilding.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Winnie, you can check him out at www.glenbeck.com or check out www.theblaze.com.
    As to your relatives, perhaps they need a reality check as in "sorry I don't have anything for you". Just a thought.
    As for me and the wifey, we have almost a years worth stored. only have 10 months of TP right now but that will change next month. I don't have a years worth of water stored either, only a couple of months worth but that can be replenished with the rains.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarky
    only have 10 months
    I'm not going to ask you how you came to that determination. I already have this awful picture in my mind of counting squares and multiplying by the number of.....that picture is going to be there all day, I just know it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I married into an Italian family. I always have enough on hand to feed an army! LOL!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not going to ask you how you came to that determination. I already have this awful picture in my mind of counting squares and multiplying by the number of.....that picture is going to be there all day, I just know it.
    After you're done picturing that, picture the alternative.
    I am, and it ain't pretty.

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

rick you could go by usage, all the peps here go through 3 24 pk large rolls a month. easy determination.
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

It was a joke. One that obviously, lacked humor.

I laughed.

Have y'all seen those MRE Trays? I remember my husband talking about how the military used those to feed big groups on the field. We got a lot of those too. They aren't priced bad...on average about 10.00 a tray, but there's like 7lbs of food in each tray so it's worth it for feeding larger groups.
    Now...it's not something you should open up if it's just or you and a small group, because unless you can finish 7lbs of food in one sitting...it's kind of a waste.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

I started putting together 5 gallon pails with beans, rice, salt and pepper just to give to the neighbors a couple of weeks ago. I plan on putting together one a week and I have two ready and need about 10 more. Then the costs are defrayed over time. That should sustain a family of four for about a week on its own if the portions aren't too excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    Have y'all seen those MRE Trays? I remember my husband talking about how the military used those to feed big groups on the field. We got a lot of those too. They aren't priced bad...on average about 10.00 a tray, but there's like 7lbs of food in each tray so it's worth it for feeding larger groups.
    Now...it's not something you should open up if it's just or you and a small group, because unless you can finish 7lbs of food in one sitting...it's kind of a waste.
    The MKT meals. They are just like MRE's, only bigger.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    The MKT meals. They are just like MRE's, only bigger.
    THAT'S what they're called. They're pretty cool to have on hand, IMO. We've got large families and usually gather...with the prices of food going up so quick, my mentality...is well...we've got to help each other out.
    With these meals...while they may not be "home cooked", will keep that family bond alive and allow for us to share what we have with people who need help.

I'm one of those people that can't see a hungry person. If you come to my home, I have to have something to feed you. You WILL leave full. LOL!!
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

7 pound of food? wow where can i get em?
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenscar View Post
    7 pound of food? wow where can i get em?
    You can do a search to find what you like or the best price...but here's one link...Have never ordered from this place though...
    http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...Eat/Categories
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

I agree it would be hard for me to turn someone away but if it meant my families survival or theirs, then bye.

I talked to a lady at work about preparing some stuff a little at a time, like My wife and I, and she flat out said, "I won't worry about it, I'll just come to your house." I looked at her and said, "You better not show up empty handed!" She looked at me like what do you mean, you wouldn't take care of me??!?!?!?!
    Since then I don't bring up my preperations anymore to her or anyone else.
    Sorry I had to rant.
    Last edited by RCKCRWLER; 11-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.

10 ounce steak with 2 oz of Idahoan potatoes is filling. 7lbs? wow.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    10 ounce steak with 2 oz of Idahoan potatoes is filling. 7lbs? wow.
    Well, keep in mind that we have a decent sized family who would need to be fed Easily 10 mouths. I see it as every little bit helps. Prices are sky rocketing...and it if ever gets to the point where we have to bust into those 7lb meals...it's some bad times. Ya know?
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

I frequently watch Glen Beck (watching right now as a matter of fact). I have not yet found (I've done some looking) him to have provided inaccurate information. I agree that sometimes his message is rather stark, but I truly believe that he is doing it to motivate people. Maybe that approach is not the best for some, but again - I have found his information to be accurate - or when he has made an error, he quickly corrected it. His current message of preparedness is a good one. I know that many here don't need a "push" to prepare - heck - we've been doing it for a long time. Some people however need that motivation. How many of you have posted about friends and neighbors that don't see the need to prepare? I say that if his method causes more folks to be prepared - then GREAT! His messages have been about personal responsibility, getting out of debt, hedges against inflation, food stores, etc. For those that dismiss him for whatever reason (not pointing fingers at anybody on the forum) do they prepare or are they letting the messenger get in the way of doing what is right? It is always interesting to me to see folks dismiss good ideas because of the messenger of those ideas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel