Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starter Info.

a blastmatch with petrolem saturated coton balls for when i ned a fire right now regardless of winf rain or other adverce conditions I also carry several other methods to make fire
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

guess I'm a fanatic,, lol I usually have bic,blastmatch,strike force,flint-n-steel,fresnal lense,fire piston,scout firesteel,some chaga,charcloth(tshirt or cotton balls charred)and some red ceder tinder. Don't always carry em all but they are always available if I'm out and about. 30 days without food,,,,,,,,,3 days without water,,,,,,,,,,,3 hours without heat hmmm lol

Zippo, Bic, book of Matches, Fire Steel. Flint and Striker, The M37 flame thrower works 90% of the time. Brisk rubbing two pilgrims together works 10% of the time.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Yes, it is always best to have more than one method with you in case one fails
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

I carry several items, butane lighter, magnesium flint stick,water-proof matches and couple of small pieces of bicycle tube (2"x2") burns hot and long enough when needed as a starter when tinder/ kindling etc is damp/wet...
    Last edited by Axe; 11-05-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    "natura non contristatur" thus "fortitudine vincimus"

As long as I have my carbon steel knife and/or stricker, I have fire. Flint or quarts and what ever tinder I find has worked well many a time.

MRE matches will work even if they have been wet and dry out. A pack in my wallet for the just in case times.

Mag stick on my EDC knife sheath. 2 Zippos and a butane lighter on my key ring.

I hope I am covered!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Talking tinder card

these might be a good adition to a mini kit
    http://www.bestglide.com/tinder_card_info.html

Seems a lot like char cloth but with microfibers instead of carbonated cotton.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

save yourself some money and buy yourself some achcol patches i use them so great lights pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    save yourself some money and buy yourself some achcol patches i use them so great lights pretty quick
    I never thought of that! That's one of the coolest and most basic ideas I've seen here yet!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Do any of you guys and gals know what a metal match is? Ic that none of you prefer one and i was just wondering what it is. As for me though, i use a fire piston and mag flint.

Thumbs up

This is a "Metal Match." About $2.50. See the Boy Scout crest on the handle? Available wherever they carry scouting supplies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Again. What does it do? Does it scrape metal off the knife? Or is it the same as a flint?

anyone use a peace of bicycle inner tube to start a fire with as the smoke is black it is good for a signal as well ..

Quote Originally Posted by LtAttiic View Post
    i keep a magnesium stick, about 4 disposable lighters, a zippo, some steel wool(for use with flashlight), a fresnal lense, matches, waterproof matches, windproof matches, and several candels. i guess i just find comfort in knowing that if need be, i could cremate a frozen elephant.
    i still need a ferrocium rod, too...
    as for the axe, i find WD-40 works better.
    What the heck is a ferrocium rod?

I carry a blastmatch and wettinder. I like the onehanded operation of the blastmatch so I can use it even if I get hurt. I won't go anywhere without either. Lint is like manna from heaven. Good stuff, too. Once you start a fire using lint you'll never forget to clean out the dryer vent again. That stuff goes up like gasoline.

For those of you that use a BIC, don't toss it once the butane is used up. You still have a spark maker.

A ferrocium rod is an alloy of rare earth metals (predominantly cerium and lanthanum) and some hardening materials (predominantly iron oxide). It works like a flint and striker. The "flint" in a lighter is usually a ferrocium rod.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I must be doing something wrong with the lint thing. I keep hearing everyone say how good it is but when I tried it with a magnifying glass it just burnt a hole right through it. No flame.

Hey, Owl Girl. Here's a video about starting a fire with a cotton ball vs. dryer lint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn1OG...eature=related

It's a bit goofy but shows you the difference. By the way, if you have a fireplace or a wood stove you can stuff a used toilet paper roll with dryer lint. They make a heck of a fire starter for the fireplace.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blastmatch and WetFire. works in the rain.

Metal matches are usually nothing more than a Ferrocerium rod. The metal comes off the match. If you strike it, you'll see a bright shiny scape on the rod (as opposed to the striker). The next time you go to use it you'll find the shiny mark is probably gone because it oxidizes so quickly. You can actually use anything that is harder than the rod and sharp to strike it. A knife blade works but so will a rock or a piece of glass! It's actually a pretty cool trick if you have a real Ferrocerium rod. Practice it at home and the next time you're around the campfire with some buddys, show 'em how easy it is to makes sparks with a piece of glass you just "found". They will all laugh at you but when you make sparks it blows them away. It has to be SHARP and hard to work. Like the broken bottom of a soda bottle. Just don't cut yourself up in the process.

I thought you all might get a kick out of this insane flashlight for firestarting.

http://extreme-geek.blogspot.com/200...lashlight.html

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    Again. What does it do? Does it scrape metal off the knife? Or is it the same as a flint?
    Check this site out and scroll down!

http://www.wisementrading.com/firestarters/flint.htm
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin