Thread: Fire Starter Info.

Flint By Far Waterproof And A Hell Of Alot Of Strikes

Default Fire Starter Info.

i'm looking for a new firestarting tool so anyone have any ideas

Blog Entries

Cool Flint baby!

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    i'm looking for a new firestarting tool so anyone have any ideas
    Go to your local Wal-Mart & pick up a Magnesium block with flint rod for about 6 bucks, throw in another dollar and buy a water-proof match safe. Ask you mom to save her dryer lint for you and fill a qt. size zip-lock bag with the stuff.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

i haven't tried it with dryer lint but i've done with it the magnesium bar

Blog Entries

Cool tinder.

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    i haven't tried it with dryer lint but i've done with it the magnesium bar
    The dryer lint is just a great tinder to help start a fire.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

There was actually a review of the best firestarters on the market on some website (cant remember what the name of it is) but they said the easiest to use and light a fire was the blastmatch but the most durable and reliable was the swedish firesteel which is made by light my fire (which I have and I never go in the woods without it).

Blog Entries

Cool Firestarters!

In the October 2006 edition of Backpacker Magazine they did a gear test of several fire starters, including the "BlastMatch", which only got 3 out of a possible 5 stars. This little baby could work one-handed because of an internal spring that would allow you to shower your tinder with sparks by pressing against the ground or rock. The StrikeForce got better reviews, however, the company that offered them,Survival, inc., had apparantly closed their doors when I visited their web-site. I haven't checked this one out yet, but it seems that if you go to www.wildwoodssurvival.com/survival/fire you can learn to build your own bow drill.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

magnesium flint stick is what I use.
    Jesus is my king.

to make the dryer lint better rub it in petroleum jelly. the will burn ten times better.
    Jesus is my king.

lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

jelly hahahahaha
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

yep jelly. and to make it better flammable jelly.
    Jesus is my king.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Pet. jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by survivorman. View Post
    yep jelly. and to make it better flammable jelly.
    Pet. jelly is good with cotton balls as a fire starter as well. However you need cotton balls that are 100% cotton. 0000 steel wool can work as well. I like Ron Hood's tip on how to use it with a Mini-Mag-Lite to start a fire.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Talking Is It Really Flint and Steel?

Hey guys. I really want to start making fires easier than with a magnifying glass lol. I'm tired of waiting to hike on sunny days. Ive heard that Flint and Steel works really well, so I was wondering if this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-FireSt...5495803&sr=8-5

Is it really flint and steel? Ive heard that they sell things called flint and steel but they actually work differently because they use magnesium.

Also, could somebody show me how to use this product to make fire?

Thanks guys!

So this stuff really works? And I also heard that it works when wet - is this true? Thanks man

That’s not flint that’s magnesium flint, but both work Magnesium flint actually works better then natural flint that you fined in the wild, but with practice you should be able to use both.

It sparks just as much when IT is wet, the trick is getting dry tinder to light

Ok, lotsa people say they;ve tried it once, maybe twice. To get the hang of it you have to practice a lot. I can do it pretty well, and it has come in handy. I've usually used this method if I have time on my hands because it is fun and the more you do it, the better you get. It is pretty simple... all you gota do is get something like a cotton ball that lights easily. Then, spread it out and have some really small brush nearby... get the cotton ball going by holding one piece at an angle and striking downwards with the other, hitting the cotton each time. Once its going, just build it up... it takes practice to become a pro, though... as a beginner it is really frustrating.
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

Blog Entries

Made a flint and steel fire just this afternoon up on the creek. Caught the spark on the char just fine, now getting the little stuff to fire was a bit diff. but finally got a little flame.

Ya see, I forgot my tinder, so I had to use what nature had and it was all wet. Had a major thunder storm last night. Usually in dry weather, two shots with the flint on my striker and wham, insta fire.

Next time, will not forget the tinder.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

I use the Firesteel and vaseline soaked cotton balls almost exclusively, one spark will light the cotton, and it burns long enough to nurture into a fire without too much hassle. Also, the vaseline keeps the cotton 'dry' so moisture is not a problem.