Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starter Info.

Using flint without magnesium is hard... unless you have lint. It's by far my favorite tinder. It will go up in flames in less than 30 seconds if you have flint and steel, so I completely agree with bear.
    Last edited by wolf; 05-07-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    sanity is for the weak

shoe lace, lopped around around 2 sticks, grab both ends and pull up one at a time repeatedly, friction=fire, i put wood fiber under, and lint,

Quote Originally Posted by moses1moses View Post
    shoe lace, lopped around around 2 sticks, grab both ends and pull up one at a time repeatedly, friction=fire, i put wood fiber under, and lint,
    how do you do this is there a link i can get to see pics??

Blog Entries

Is there any other way to start a fire? When you first start with flint and steel it can be a pain.

Altoids cans with a little pin hole through the top. Cut up a t shirt into little squares and put them into the altoids can. Stick the can into the fire, leave until you don't see any smoke coming out of the teeny hole. Needs to be a teeny hole. Pull out and let cool.

What works great for steels are the old American made files. Break a piece of file off, about 4 iches, Wear Safety Glasses, then get a rock, any hard rock and just hit the side of the file. You will get the hang of it, then when you can make a spark, stick the char cloth under it and strike away.

It'll catch eventually.

I have many prim. style steels and the old file ones work the best. As far as rocks, you would be surprised how many rocks throw sparks.

If you find an abandoned birds nest in the woods, works great to start fires. Put the char under it and just lightly blow.

Caution, don't ever try this with two like rocks as you can cut your fingers pretty bad.

Are you talking about ferrocerium or actual flint? Ferrocerium is what lighters and mechanical sparkers use. It's alot better and easier than actual flint. Just remember when you're striking it, it's the steel that flakes off and creates the sparks, not the flint or ferrocerium. So the harder the steel, the better the sparks.

Has anyone tried a magnesium bar?

you can make charred cloth also by puting it in the fire to just in a tin can like an alltiods can or some of that nature with a hole in it and wait until its done smokeing after that then you wait till its cooled down (lay thehole on the ground so the stuff inside dont get burned and start a fire) then nice charred cloth all and ready!
    ~~ADDITCED TO JESUS!~~

Blog Entries

I'm talking real live mother natures rocks. You would be surprised at how many will throw a spark.

Had one of them magnesium things once, think it got old as it just did not work when I tried to use it. It was over 5 years old. The flint and chert I use is hundreds of years old, maybe even thousands.

I will be trying a few dif. kinds of punk wood and a really thick cotton tubed wick. I found a great dry rotting old tree during hog season, will be venturing back sooner or later.

Magnifying glass
    sanity is for the weak

Default fire starting

Hey guys, im new and i think its really hard to use the bow technique. I've tried like 15 times.

yeah i tried the bow techinque it is tough by the way anyone how to remove spinters i got some from the wood

it took me 300 long tries to perfect the bow drill
    sanity is for the weak

geez i cound't get it to so much as charocal

the best tender is used will be (wool with kero)
    u just need simpel things:
    1-wool
    2-kero
    3-a good closed contaner (to keep the wool wet with kero)

i prffer chared cloth. just 1 spark and it will take off. easy to make to
    Move undetected, strike unseen, live as the shadow and cast none yourself.

a really good way to turn a match into a gaint fire is by useing a axe deroendt spary can i now have one in my survail kit

I try and keep multiple ways of starting a fire on or near me when I venture outside for example in my pockets I keep a lighter, mag/flint thingy in my vest more lighters, fresnel lens, water/wind proof matches, petro/cottonballs, paper and more of the same in my bag. guess I just like FIRE

I carry a Bic and also a magnesium starter in my daypack. I think the fire steels look pretty handy. I used to have a flint and steel set fom my black powder days and it worked really well with dryer lint.

my zippo uses flint lol flint is the easiest thing to use. all ya have 2 do it scratch steel to it an it sparks, i have this wyrd machine that i squeze the trigger and hundreds of sparks come out the end , i have no idea what it is or where i got it but i love it

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    my zippo uses flint lol flint is the easiest thing to use. all ya have 2 do it scratch steel to it an it sparks, i have this wyrd machine that i squeze the trigger and hundreds of sparks come out the end , i have no idea what it is or where i got it but i love it
    I think that’s magnesium flint your talking about. Have you ever tried the flint you find in mother nature?

you mean banging rocks together? only whem i wana catch squirrels lol (theyr attracted by the sound of rocks rubbing together) i dont know much about flint though so i might have...