Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starter Info.

A flint and steel fire is easyer than you think, You must have the right parts to make it work. Agood steel, A peice of flint or chert, And you have to have char.All this info is on U tube.Ive used this for years, And its the most reliable fire making fire method I know of, in any weather any time. I make fire steels, Ill send one free of charge to the first post that wants one. A whole kit!

Sure,why not,I'll take one.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

RWB - bring one of your kits on the 8th....I'll trade ya a Hawaiian sling for it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nell Pm me where to send it to, And Ill send.Avd Crash Ill bring you bring.

Deal - I'll cut some fresh bamboo this week.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I also use steel and flint. It is easy but the weather can mess you up if your char cloth gets wet. For bad weather I usually resort to Vaseline cotton balls and a lighter. Works first time, every time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree prefer flint n steel to all forms of fire starting
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Amen, Brother of the Bush.

gasoline and a bic works for me!
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Survival Instructor S.E.R.E Guy's Avatar

Metal matches are great,just a stick of magnesium damn near the same as flint n steel but you have to be careful because some batches suck and are hard as hell to light

I got one of Runs With Bear's fire kits this past weekend. Very nice. Thank you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Well I have been going through all the fire making methods I have ever heard of in the last year. I have been lately been trying the bowdrill method and the tree most abundant around me is maple. Maple has proven hard to find a straight enough limb for a spindle. I finally did but it's rather short, less than 10". Anyway I made the bow from choke cherry and the fireboard from maple too. Maple didn't give me much smoldering punk very fast so on the recommendation of a friend I'm looking for somne season sycamore. Apparently of the trees in my area it will work the best. I may also be able to get some cottonwood if I keep my eyes peeled. I don't think the local hedge or rather osage orange will work. I guess what it boils down to is not all woods are equal when you're looking to make fire with fiction. The bamboo saw method worked pretty well but it took an hour to generate enough smoldering punk.

flint and steel is a good way to start a fire the inside pod of a milk weed plant will caught a sprak and hold it but you need a sprak exstender.i collect them in late fall when the pods are open it is the part the seeds are hooked to brake the tip off put on flint like char cloth and strike not real hard or the sprak will fly passed the pod.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

I've done away with lighters and matches in my kit. I've found that no matter the weather, I can always start a fire with a flint and steel as long as I have the appropiate tinder. For tinder I carry cottonballs (real cotton) soaked in petrolium jelly for lousy weather and OB brand tampons (you just can't compress cotton that small by hand) for good weather. The OBs I will cut into thirds as needed and fluff up then just hit it with a spark and you got fire.

Young Woodsmen

Lightbulb

I would recommend a magnesium stick.they are easy to learn to use and work well.

Retired Old Man

Default Too shy to buy

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I've done away with lighters and matches in my kit. I've found that no matter the weather, I can always start a fire with a flint and steel as long as I have the appropiate tinder. For tinder I carry cottonballs (real cotton) soaked in petrolium jelly for lousy weather and OB brand tampons (you just can't compress cotton that small by hand) for good weather. The OBs I will cut into thirds as needed and fluff up then just hit it with a spark and you got fire.
    I'd never have the nerve to buy tampons. (It's a guy thing...)
    The 4 for $1 butane's work fine for me.

Also, I can't figure out how to char cloth before you start a fire?
    Maybe you do it in advance and carry it with you because no cheap butane's are available?

My expensive butane cost $1.19. It has an L.E.D. built in.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

cold blooded

Magnesium Bar For Me!
    lazy days!!!!!

Blog Entries

I don't use char cloth. Dryed fireweed seeds and naava(couldn't find the english word for it, but it is a hair like lichen that grows usually in clean pine and spruce forests). Again, I concider char cloth too high tech for reliable use. If you really have to survive you don't have any charcloth on you, and I for one would not use my clothing to make some in forests. Surviving is knowing what to do when all you have is nature.