Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starter Info.

Jay - The only suggestion I would have is a BIC lighter. I've never tried the pump drill method and I'm no good at making fire with two sticks of wood. I've tried and I just don't seem to have the knack.

I would think the heavier the fly wheel the more centrifugal force would be generated and the more downward force would be required to turn the fly wheel. That's just my thoughts.

Your comment about the drill being used for metal makes you wonder if that might have been the original intent and the drill was later adapted for fire making.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Fire Starter Info.

I've seen many of you mention that you've purchased a Swedish firesteel for use in your survival kits. They run about $14+ for the small one. I just thought I'd let you know you can still pick up the Boy Scout Hot Spark Fire Starter for $2.49. Here's a link:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/...v=3&item=01167

You'll have to register on the BSA site to purchase it. Or you should be able to purchase them at your local BSA store.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As far as I know they are the same. There might be some difference in the mish metal but a sparks a spark in my book. If I can save $12.00 to make it, so be it.

Blog Entries

Cool Also...

If'n you're in a hurry, Wal-Mart sells the Magnesium Block with flint rod for $6.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    If'n you're in a hurry, Wal-Mart sells the Magnesium Block with flint rod for $6.
    The mag block works well.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Right!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    The mag block works well.
    & you got you're "fire-starter" right with your flint rod!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

But you can't carry the mag bar in your pocket and you can a metal match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Cool True...

But I've had the BSA flint break off in my pocket. the block gives it stability.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I have mag blocks in my other kits. If the BSA match breaks, I'll just replace it with another $2.49 metal match!

Blog Entries

Default Fire Kit

I use this fire kit, always does me right.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Flint, char cloth, striker, and tow all held in a tin in a raw hide bag.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    I use this fire kit, always does me right.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Flint, char cloth, striker, and tow all held in a tin in a raw hide bag.
    Do yo use natural flint or synthetic ?
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

You got get something besides image shack. It takes a long time to load then it takes you to a login screen. I can't view your image.

www.photobucket.com

Or

www.imagevenue.net

are two of the best free ones (Photobucket requires registration which is free)
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Tony - Can you view his picture?

That little silver tube on my picture hold char cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Tony - Can you view his picture?
    Sure Can Rick

Well, it's taking me to a sign up screen. I cleared my cache and dumped my cookies and I still get it. Oh, well. Maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, it's taking me to a sign up screen. I cleared my cache and dumped my cookies and I still get it. Oh, well. Maybe it's just me.
    Thats because the code used to put it on the site with has it so that if you click it takes you to the main screen,

You need to have the direct url or code equivilent to stop this

Nice to clean your PC junk out tho Rick

Blog Entries

Natural Flint, always. Imported from England.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Natural Flint, always. Imported from England.
    England Lol ive mostly used synthetic before, i think it is more reliable sparks

I have a small Q on safety. What happens if a spark land on the block part of the mag firestarter, I have a idea but never thought of trying it

the heat energy in the steel spall [your spark] would dissipate long before the block ignited. even shavings that are too coarse can be hard to light. the heat energy from the spall combined with that of the ambient oxygen combusting must be enough to bring most of the shaving of magnesium to a kindling temperature, before that heat is dissipated elsewhere.
    Last edited by canid; 01-22-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.