Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Fire Starter Info.

I recently found a side release buckle on Amazon that has a whistle and flint and striker. I took a few tries to see how it worked, then just before thinking it didn't I found the secret with it. The flint and steel need to be at 90 degree angles, then it promotes heavy sparks. This with dryer lint or 90 percent alchol I keep in sealed straws, makes a fire almost instant. I used the buckle with 550 paracord and telecommunication wire to make a belt. Added a "swiss-tech" mini multi-tool and I have a survival belt!The belt has 50 feet of paracord, a whistle, flint and striker, snare wire, (adding 30 lb test fish line) and the micro tool has a small, very sharp knife, saw blade, screwdriver, pliers, and a light. Need to make a small pouch for some "alcohol straws" and a toad stool stove, and I am good to go. I have found with strikers, (like magnesium) you get what you pay for. All work but at least practice with it to find the best spark production methods for what you have. Pine needles and dried grass make excellent tinder, as do vaseline cotton balls, dryer lint (starts ewith mere sparks, ask hundreds of home owners), and dry cattaiuls, yarrow, etc.

There was once when I ws showing off trying to start a fire by using flints...when a friend shoved a lighter that was lit under my nose.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I've tried starting fires with lint and cotton using a weak magnifying glass. The cotton is too light and fluffy to catch fire. The lint will smolder but it will never catch fire. It just smolders away to ash. But those tinders seem to do well with even the slightest sparks, and will burst instantly into flames.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Remember, when working with a magnifying glass the darker the TINDER the easier the ignition. Charred material works excellently with a mag/Fresnel lens. The 6X lens on my HBC tobacco box works really good with charred cloth , punk wood and tinder fungus.

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DomC; 09-10-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

just like many others.i have books and boxes of matches,long stem lighters bic lighters and zippos.i also have a magnesium striker..in which i used a grinding wheel from a bench grinder to file down some of the magnesium..in which i put into a plastic box/case..in which i plan on locating something better to keep it in..i do plan on practicing with the bow drill just in case i need to take that route some day...

Just for grins I have started reading this thread started in 2007
    Seems we have come a long way since rubbing two rock together........than again maybe not.

Does it seem like the cycle keep turning?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello the camp! I did not read the entire string of posts but i did not see cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly mentioned as a tinder. Use 100% cotton balls with a finger full of PJ and work it in. You can store a 1/2 dozen in a pill bottle. Pull one out and really fluff it up. One spark and it bursts into flame. They burn for up to 10 minutes. The spark can be from a ferro rod or a glowing ember on char cloth. Also, Tow Flax works great but is about $20 per pound. A pound fills two 1 gallon baggies.

Should have read them. There's probably 500 posts on PJ cotton balls. But Welcome home none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloduro View Post
    Hello the camp! I did not read the entire string of posts but i did not see cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly mentioned as a tinder. Use 100% cotton balls with a finger full of PJ and work it in. You can store a 1/2 dozen in a pill bottle. Pull one out and really fluff it up. One spark and it bursts into flame. They burn for up to 10 minutes. The spark can be from a ferro rod or a glowing ember on char cloth. Also, Tow Flax works great but is about $20 per pound. A pound fills two 1 gallon baggies.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    There is an Intro section at.....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Just one example od PJ and cotton balls...

Quote> post 361 this page.....By MItyg4rr
    ...Pine needles and dried grass make excellent tinder, as do vaseline cotton balls, dryer lint (starts ewith mere sparks, ask hundreds of home owners), and dry cattaiuls, yarrow, etc.
    <qoute
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Should have read them. There's probably 500 posts on PJ cotton balls. But Welcome home none-the-less.
    i read the first 5 pages of a 19 page string. No mention of PJCB. Yup should have read all 19 pages before trying to make my first post.

Paladuro...I think, I have many posts on the PJCB..I am one of the diehard PJCB fans...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Actually, my comment was tongue in cheek. However, PJCB starts on page 2 at post 31.

I believe the mention of flint should be firesteel. Flint is a striker that shaves off and heats curls of steel that can start a fire. Jute twine will also take a spark and burn although it does burn quickly so you need other fuel ready. Cut the twine into pieces and pull them apart to make a pile then hit it with a spark. When possible I like to carry items that have multiple uses like jute twine.

Well...flint is actually a type of quartz. Not a striker.

If you want to register your email address as your login that's fine but you are bound to receive tons of junk mail because of it. If you want it changed just let me know.

Yeah - apples and oranges. Flint = rock whereas firesteel = ferrocerium rod.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's really not a question of which is better per se. They are both tools. They both have their uses. The fero rod will provide you more fire in more environments so you'll get more for your money. However, if you do not know how to start a fire in a wet environment then those storm matches are gonna be pretty handy.

Ferrite rod screwdriver fake

Has anyone ever sold ferrite fire starters in forms other than a rod?

If you get pulled over by the police and they find a ferrite rod fire starter on you, you will lose it. A screwdriver in your toolbox that's exactly a fire starter in disguise you might just well keep it. I've seen some screwdrivers that sort of look like ferrite rods. The shaft is dark colored and it comes with multiple tips that screw in. Color your ferrite screwdriver silver or chrome so it blends in with all the other tools in your toolbox.

How about a ferrite fire starter backup in the forms of a credit card, or GI Dog Tag? You pass your striker down the edge.

I can honestly say that one of the last things that concerns me is getting my ferrocerium rod fire starter confiscated during a law enforcement encounter. Has this happened to you before? Any anicdotal evidence of this ever occuring during the existance of mankind?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You should buy this Magnesium Fire Starter - best and fastest option to start, unless you really want to do this as a proper survival guy. It's better to have something to start the fire just in case for own safety