Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Starter Info.

Magnesium flint is easy and good to have. Natural flint is just a smooth gray rock that natives made knives and arrow tips from. I’ve started fires with Natural flint but magnifying glasses and Magnesium flint are the easiest lol.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    This video is the best instructions on how to use natural flint
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzeY1...elated&search=

When you hit the flint with the steel your trying to cut the steel with the flints sharp edge. When you get it at the right angle at the right speeds the metal shavings fly off as sparks.

Oh and the squirrels, if its red squirrels they are so territorial if they hear a gray squirrel though gray squirrels are three times their size the reds are after them like vicious dogs. The big grays are so scared of them. I heard if a red catches a gray he’ll bite his balls off to get rid of the competition of them multiplying I don’t know if its true though.
    Last edited by owl_girl; 05-31-2007 at 02:56 AM.

lol thats prty vicious, i usually go for the greys , theres more meat on em and if you hang a live one up by the tail as bait youv got a chance to catch a weasel , you know how thoes guys love killing there food, cause if they hear a trapped squirrel they come running lol

i carry a glass bottle of my special emergency fire starter, it makes a big hot fire quick , its actually alot like napalm but is great to start fires in rainy conditions

flint and steel is a very reliable method but only if done with a good tinder such as char cloth, tinder fungus works great as well but must be very dry yet not crumbly dry. And actually spark comes from the metal yes unless useing ferrocerium where as the rod is actually producing the spark magnesiium is ok however is hard to keep together in wind and burns very hot and fast. i use flint steel char cloth and ceder wood chips is simple to get fire in wind or any weather except torrential rain .

get yourself a good fire piston from like wilderness solutions incredible even soaking wet will produce a coal with charcloth or tinder fungus is also kind of fun to produce a fire so easily without matches lil practice , right tinder = fire most everytime

Default Favorite tool to make fire

What is your favorite fire making tool? Matches? Metal Match? Bow Drill? other?
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

flint and steel work the best for me

Magnifying glasses work in seconds.

flint n steel and magnifying glass is very good but i must admit iam fascinated with the age old fire piston have yet to find something more reliable

i always cary a bic lighter those things are asome

Thumbs up Fire Making

As for being able to make a fire when needed, I always carry a mag stick with striker. I learned to do this while in the military (retired after 22 years). I have taught other friends that like to hike and camp how to make a fire. They all have used the mag stick numerous times when nothing else would work. My mag stick is with me ALL THE TIME!!!! I also carry other survival items at all times.

I like the old ways of doing it, like the Bow and Drill, also i use the battery way aswell

I think the bow way is the easyist to do if you dont have anything else but mostly i use a flint to light a quick fire

I think this is the easiest way to make a fire and for that I always use this method whenever I can

I carry a steel match, Flint, Sometimes a lighter

But it like to make it as reall as possible, say you where planing a walk threw the moutans and be back by daylight, you might bring food/water but i dought that you will bring things to start a fire with and thats where you need to know your stuff

i keep a magnesium stick, about 4 disposable lighters, a zippo, some steel wool(for use with flashlight), a fresnal lense, matches, waterproof matches, windproof matches, and several candels. i guess i just find comfort in knowing that if need be, i could cremate a frozen elephant.
    i still need a ferrocium rod, too...
    as for the axe, i find WD-40 works better.
    Last edited by LtAttiic; 06-10-2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added content

I keep a zipo and 10 books of matches. And a fire starter at ingles stores called fire starters, 4 for 2.00 they wark real good at hunt camp

Bic lighter and Spark-Lite firestarter.

zippo lighter and napalm lol

Blog Entries

Talking Best method.

In the October 2006 issue of "Backpacker" Magazine Les Stroud was one of three survival experts asked what essential piece of equipment he would never be without. His answer was a butane lighter to start a fire. I always carry several methods, including lighters and water-proof matches. The magnesium flint stick is so good that the US Air Force includes it in their pilots' survival kits.
    I also have the military flint wheel and the Gerber Strike Force...Ya never know!

SARGE.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin