Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what I did with a couple broken kitchen knives

Default what I did with a couple broken kitchen knives

I had a couple stainless steel large kitchen ( butcher ) knives that had broke near the handle, so I was board the other day and wanted to play with my new dremal so I made these. the skinner style blade is a thiner steel its overall lendht is 5.5 inches, the other is 7.75 inches in lenght and is a thicker steel.

I am not going to do any handle on the small knife, and will most likely do some wood scales on the longer one ,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

did you do your grinding slow enough to keep the heat treat intact?

those look like fun designs.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    did you do your grinding slow enough to keep the heat treat intact?

those look like fun designs.
    yes, plus I also kept the blade wet as I was cutting and sanding.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Well..... as a matter of fact I started making a knife last week out of a old kitchen knife myself. Haven't finished it, so haven't posted it yet. (Great minds think alike you know!)

Those are pretty cool! I like the small one alot!

Carefull now....this stuff is very addictive!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Blog Entries

Looks like we have a couple more lost souls in the knife making world. Hehehe. I like the bottom one best. It just looks like it would be a handy knife to have.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Well done. Be sure and let us see how the handles turn out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I had a couple stainless steel large kitchen ( butcher ) knives that had broke near the handle.

Tell the truth, you broke them just so you could make them cooler! Nice start, I cant wait to see them all finished.

I like em. I think they both would pretty handy to have. THe bottom one is also my favorite. Cord wrap, or slabs for the handles?

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Tell the truth, you broke them just so you could make them cooler! Nice start, I cant wait to see them all finished.
    LOL nope not these two, now I am however going to keep an eye out for some doners at the thrift store.

I am going to try and work on the handles today some .

Quote Originally Posted by p moore View Post
    I like em. I think they both would pretty handy to have. THe bottom one is also my favorite. Cord wrap, or slabs for the handles?

Paul
    Im thinking some oak scales since I already have some scraps of that laying around I just dont have any pinning material, I may try my luck at some crashcarta , I have some cool burlap camo material, and also a piece of blaze orange material.

My original intentions on the top knife was a light sturdy blade that would fit in an altoids tin survival kit. but I got carried away and it is way too long . so now it has found a home in the pocket of my bushman sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    Looks like we have a couple more lost souls in the knife making world. Hehehe. I like the bottom one best. It just looks like it would be a handy knife to have.
    Ive actually got a lot of carbon steel blades that ive cut and shaped but do not have the right equipment to finish the blades right ( belt sander) That and I am not too good at making handles , so one day I hope to flood ya all with my finished knives LOL .

What the heck are you guys doing at home, thats breaking your kitchen knives??? LOL

Sheez....talk about a rough crowd! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    What the heck are you guys doing at home, thats breaking your kitchen knives??? LOL

Sheez....talk about a rough crowd! LOL
    well around my place there also screwdrivers, prybars, and the last ditch chisel.

Well while sitting on the porch I started eyeballing the antler thats been hanging there for 6 months, well part of it is now the start of my knife handle. Here is a couple of pics of the start of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very functional looking.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

That works for me. Looks good.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

That looks great! Good job bro!

Oh come on! You don't need a belt sander. All mine have been done on a bench grinder for major removal, then a file then a coures stone. The handles have all been done with a dremal tool and then hand sanded.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is, START THE FLOOD!!!!!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Ive actually got a lot of carbon steel blades that ive cut and shaped but do not have the right equipment to finish the blades right ( belt sander) That and I am not too good at making handles , so one day I hope to flood ya all with my finished knives LOL .
    mine is the same way many knife blanks just no handles lol
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise