Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45-70 for bears, etc.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

AK dosen't turn on the shower, he stares at it until it cries.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

It's not the fall that kills you, It's AS waiting for you at the bottom.

AS can kill two stones with one bird.

AS won a staring contest with the sun. Two feet away.

It is considered a great accomplishment to go down Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel. AS can go up Niagara Falls in a cardboard box.

AS does not know where you live, but he knows where you will die.

If you can see AS, he can see you. If you can't see AS you may be only seconds away from death.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I shot a bear with a .30-30 once, good thing for me that bear didn't have thumbs, what with having a .30-30 and all....oh right I had the .30-30 never mind. I know guys that use .45-70 exclusively for their elk hunting excursions. Any elk I saw them with on their return were defintitely dead.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

AS once counted to infinity - twice.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    AK dosen't turn on the shower, he stares at it until it cries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's not the fall that kills you, It's AS waiting for you at the bottom.

AS can kill two stones with one bird.

AS won a staring contest with the sun. Two feet away.

It is considered a great accomplishment to go down Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel. AS can go up Niagara Falls in a cardboard box.

AS does not know where you live, but he knows where you will die.

If you can see AS, he can see you. If you can't see AS you may be only seconds away from death.
    Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    AS once counted to infinity - twice.
    Really? I heard he lived in Detroit - about 240 miles from the nearest road.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

AS once lived in Detroit and all of the roads moved 240 miles away just to be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    AS once lived in Detroit and all of the roads moved 240 miles away just to be safe!
    they weren't...

So, getting back to the OP and the premise that semi-autos are faster....Its my opinion (and I would love to hear others thoughts on this) that both lever guns and pump actions are faster with a second shot when you take accuracy into consideration. The "theory" behind this is that the motions of opening and closing the action to reload the chamber also lines the shot up for an experienced shooter where a semi-auto leaved you searching for the target. I know that I personally have never noticed a faster second shot with a semiauto except maybe with a .22 where there is no recoil.

I really like the .308 round and have stopped many deer with it (with a pump Remington) but I'll never forget the deer I got with my NEF 45-70...it dropped like a house fell on it! I like the 45-70 but not enough to make it a first choice.