Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bolt actions make poor survival rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I keep trying to figure out what some one like Carlos Hathcock would have to say on the subject. ROFL
    LOL....that's the exact thought that popped in my head when I saw this thread.

As a side note, I talked to him, for a few minutes, one time....but didn't know it was him, until a couple of years later. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Marine Corps snipers use a bolt-action, Numpty! I'd accept a 30-40 Krag &/or a Springfield '03 any day of the week! Only guys who can't shoot for crap use the "spray & pray" method. The real hunters use the "one shot, one kill" method.

Here's the thing, all of your posts so far have demonstrated you're complete misunderstanding of the term "Survival." Shoot, you can't even survive this forum.

You can stand out on my front porch from time to time & not see any city lights, however power failures happen pretty often around here.

Want to see a real story about survival? The History channel, I believe it is, is showing a documentory on the survivors of the Andes plane crash. Keep talking "long-pig."
    Last edited by Sarge47; 11-13-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I missed a real winner, didnt I? Want to know what a bolt action can do that a used Remington 7400 cant? How about fire 100 rounds without jamming?

I've been catching up after a week of 17 hour days at work and I have been enjoying the great advice from Y2K.

Marine Corps snipers use a bolt-action, Numpty!
    My first thoughts was this too.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 11-13-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Well, been away for a while again, firewood you know, winter is comming.......
    Seems you boys have this under control......
    I like my bply guns aqnd beginging to lke my Single shots even better.
    Carry on..................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    What does it take to get banned?
    I recommend that anyone wishing to be banned go back and read all the posts Y2K made over the week. I think they will lead up to the quote you just used, revering to the intelligence level of Alaskans.

Y2 has the system worked out perfectly.

He really lasted longer here than he would have on some other forums due to the fact that we were baiting him for sport.

I would like to get him wound up on the survival knife thing though. He was already on the way with the arrowhead and multitool thread.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

He was actually given a 10 day ban fairly early in his posts. The thing is - is that it does not "go into effect" until he logs out. He is welcome to come back an work on his social skills. If not, his absence will be permanent.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Y2k is nothing more than a forum Troll.

If only I had a ban button
    Semper Fi

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    He was actually given a 10 day ban fairly early in his posts. The thing is - is that it does not "go into effect" until he logs out. He is welcome to come back an work on his social skills. If not, his absence will be permanent.

"Social skills", I like that, very tactful.

Reminds me of th "Does not play well with others" segment of the grade school report card.

Beats the crap out of going to "Re-education Camp".

Just remember, this poor guy does not have any more problems than Most of our politicians!

Same old isues, same wrong answers, must get everyone "straightened out", if you do not agree with me there is something wrong with you.

Can you immagine what the ovel office is like, and they all agree?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have spent many a night in the southern Nevada desert, farmlands/woodlands in northern Missouri and the southern Arizona Desert without seeing any lights even from the highest hill.

I have also shot "across the course" rifle matches against some old timers using the bolt action rifles, they were fast and accurate. They operated the bolt as it came down out of recoil. A lot of them were faster then the other shooters that were using the M-1 Garand or the the M-14.

I guess we travel in differnt circles. I am not ready, just yet. to give up my map and compass
    Last edited by Beans; 11-16-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

We are all ignorant (about something) , that is why we strive to learn more. y2k is just plain stupid! Ignorance is curable with knowledge, where as stupidity is opinionated without knowledge.
    I know what hunts you.

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

heres a suggestion, remember when your granny told you to go out into the feild and get a willow switch? he better come back with a good one!!!
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Quote Originally Posted by y2k View Post
    Practically anywhere in the lower 48 states, you can see lights at night, if you'll just climb the tallest tree, hill, etc. you can then just mark the line of travel, and walk there the next day or two. So, unless it's shtf, there's no point in a "survival' rifle". Even if you're sick or hurt, a rifle is no help. you'd be way ahead to have a 1 lb .22 HG, and 5-6 lbs of survival type gear, instead of a 6-7 lb centerfire rifle and ammo.

All you really need is a satellilte phone, or just make a smoky fire and keep it going, someone will come to investigate it and save you. So you just need to keep the weather from killing you for a few days, and maybe have some water. If just lying around, you don't need food for weeks on end. I've known several men who fasted for over 30 days.

So survival, without a need to FIGHT, is long since just a fantasy. Fighting and bolt actions went out with the advent of the Garand, in 1940 or so. A bolt action can't even handle a pack of dogs, or get another hit on a fleeing cripple. It's a bad choice, and there's no reason to settle for such, when survival is the issue.
    There are a massive amount of area's in the lower 48 that have no cell or satellite service at all...and if you walk up on any of those homes, you better be ready to be shot at. Not sure where this mentality that your little corner of the world is somehow a picture perfect image of how the country really works is...well...for lack of a better word, ignorant as all get-out.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Well, I glad thats over.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, I took that bolt action, used it like a ball bat, and beaned him in the head. As it turns out, a bolt action is a much better survival weapon than he figured.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, I took that bolt action, used it like a ball bat, and beaned him in the head. As it turns out, a bolt action is a much better survival weapon than he figured.
    Dang,,,,I hope that bolt action wasn't a Mosin.
    If you beaned him with one of those clubs, you may have killed him! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

There are people who "disagree" with the idea that the individual's freedom should be paramount, that 2+2=4, etc. Care to demo WHY what I said is wrong? You can't, or you would have done so. It's a fact that you don't need the rifle, unless combat is an issue, and it's a fact that bolt actions suck for combat. you can not like it all you want, but you can't change the facts. It's far smarter to like what has to be, since it will be, anyway, and all your "not liking" will accomplish is to make you unhappy.
    Tell that to the guy that just shot your *** 800 yards away.

Bolt actions can't do a thing that autos can't do better, or at least as well, and autos can do things that bolt actions can't touch. You don't need to live where you have to hunt, you see. you can hunt those critters with a used, $400 Remington autorifle, in 308, for cheap milsurp practice ammo,and fine performance with softpoints. Deer are big animals, shots beyond 300m are inhumane, the auto is plenty accurate enough for that. This 1/2 MOA bs has gone way too far. you don't eat crows or prairie dogs, and you can take all of them you want with a handgun, or with traps. ditto the deer, elk and moose, for that matter. Traps and snares work for you 24-7, and you can have scores of them working at the same time. You can only be in one place at once.

You snare deer with a horizontal loop, 6.5-7 ft off of the ground, and hang an apple, carrot, etc, about 1 ft above the loop. Bury half of a salt block nearby, leave sweet corn, apples, carrots there, until you see them pawing for the salt. Then just occasionally leave the food. They will frequent the area, and not care about your scent. Then, when need venison, set the cable loop.

Moose and elk are caught by foot snares, cabled to drag logs. Not as easy/effective as the deer snare, but when you catch one, you get a lot more meat. So you don't need to catch more than one a year. you need a deer per month, along with small critters and fish.
    True. But i disagree about the comment on how Bolt Action's can't touch things auto's can. Bolt Actions can hit accuracy that Auto's can't. The automatic reciever on an auto makes it a little more difficult to get a dead on shot. This is why most US Military or LEO Snipers still stick with a bolt action for a sniper rifle. Sure a Barret .50 caliber is an auto that can hit distance than a normal bolt action can't touch. But you have to think that, a Barrett is a .50 BMG round that was originally designed as an anti-tank round. Plus with a bolt action, there is little to no risk of it jamming.
    Prepared enough.

Forgive the intrusion of a newbie.
    I've lived in CA, MO, TX, NM, CO and AZ. I've travelled and/or worked in WY, MT, ID, UT, NV, MN, ND, SD, NE, IL, TN, GA, WA, OR, and others. In every state I've seen many places where there are no visible lights unless you bring one of your own.
    It may be my own poor social skills, but I have to ask. this Y2K character, was he born that ignorant or does he just work real hard at it?
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Blog Entries

Both auto's and bolt actions have their places. Pers. I would prefer a bolt action over an auto for many reasons. The top reason is conserving ammo. There is a reason why the M-16 and many other combat rifles went from a full auto firing to a 3 round burst.

One of the other reason for my choice of the bolt action, pref. a .308 is the chamber pressures. Full autos and semi autos can and will fail you with ammo with low pressures. Which is very common in military surplus ammo.

Having shot and owned a variety of diff. modern hunting and military rifles, I've found that in most cases the modern bolt rifle can use the mass produced commercial ammo along with the low pressurized military ammo. Where, military rifles that are use to the low pressured military ammo, have many many problems with the commercial ammo with higher pressures.

Military rifles are made to shoot the lower pressurized ammo because of the massive quantity of rounds and the length of time the weapon will be in service. You now get into the diff. headspaces and how commercial ammo, like the .308 may jam in military .308 rifles because the headspaces are set differently.

But then again I'm a Marine and not only are we Swift, Silent, and Deadly...we are also trained in One Shot One Kill.

As far as using a snare on a moose, hahahahahaha, from what I've read and seen, go ahead because they are mean bastards.

I can also take you to a few swamps in Georgia and the Pines in New Jersey where you can climb to the top of a tree and not see a thing.

Korean's eating cats, now that is a new one for me. Funny thing is when I was living in Korea and going to the markets, I never saw a cat in a cage or one skinned and hanging. I can't say that about the dogs as they were caged and sold as dinner fare and sometimes were hanging already gutted and skinned waiting to be purchased. Dog does not taste that bad, matter of fact cat does not either. We just won't talk about it here.