Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt actions make poor survival rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by y2k View Post
    maybe I could get by with inferior gear, but why should I, or anyone else, take the risk? Guys have $30,000 in an SUV, thousands more in gear, and cry about an "extra" $100 or so for a fighting rifle (as vs a bolt-clunk?)
    You must be hanging out with the wrong crowd. Most folks I hang out with, their rifle costs more than their Pick-up. (BTW, what is this SUV thing).
    I would not call a Remington .308 a "Fighting Rifle". What battles has it been used in? (Outside of an occasional battle with Remington over the model 742 sorta kinda recall).
    Last edited by aflineman; 11-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

As I said, you don't need a rifle AT ALL for survival, unless combat is an issue. You want to fight with that muzzleloader? It won't be against ignorant barbarians with just bows, you know. 100 times as many people today, too
    You are absolutely right. You don't need a rifle to survive. because you won't. You realize comming off as a poser doesn't make you sound any smarter.
    I know what hunts you.

He showed his cards when he suggested a large collection of stored info from the the internet. He has no experience to add and can only regurgitate what he has read online with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    so, who were you quoting with "not liking"?....i dont see any posts in this thread when anyone other than you has used that phrase...

And as far as caring to demo, "Practically anywhere in the lower 48 states, you can see lights at night, if you'll just climb the tallest tree, hill, etc." I'd love to show you lots of places in the lower 48 that you cant see any lights at night...there are wilderness areas all over Montana and Idaho where you cant see any lights at night from the higest points around...I've been to lots of them- obviuosly you havent
    Don't forget Utah. I have been to lots of places in Utah were you can't see any lights, and that is standing on the highest peak in the state.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Ah bolt guns. I love bolt guns. Highly accurate, cheap, and more reliable. Anyways, aim more, shoot less.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Don't forget Utah. I have been to lots of places in Utah were you can't see any lights, and that is standing on the highest peak in the state.

oh without a doubt...Wyoming too. I just havent personally been to the spots in all the states, but I bet most of the western states and a few eastern ones have them
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

oh without a doubt...Wyoming too. I just havent personally been to the spots in all the states, but I bet most of the western states and a few eastern ones have them
    Yup. I can walk you to a few places around here where you will not see any lights at night. Heck, I can walk you to a few canyons within a mile of the house where you would not even get sat phone or SPOT service. Get stuck in one of those and you might be awhile before any human came visiting.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Wait, there are eastern states? Well that makes a lot more sense now. Now I know why people keep saying my state is a western state.

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    Yup. I can walk you to a few places around here where you will not see any lights at night. Heck, I can walk you to a few canyons within a mile of the house where you would not even get sat phone or SPOT service. Get stuck in one of those and you might be awhile before any human came visiting.
    When I took my son and the boy scouts backpacking in September in the Uintas, we climbed Bald Mountain. I have t-mobile with crappy coverage. But, on top of the mountain I had coverage with a bar. So, I made the mistake of calling my wife. I will never do that again.

"When are you coming home?"
    "Why are you still out, those boys need to come home?"
    "Your son is getting tired, you should come home."

Bolt actions can't do a thing that autos can't do better, or at least as well,.
    Hmm......??? REALLY???? Sooooo that must mean that almost all special forces, as well as law enforcement snipers have been wrong for years in their thinking and useage... Imagine that maybe you should call them and share your expertise. Sorry but your way off base here. For a lot longer than you've been around "bolts" have been a staple for precision shooting.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Thanks for pointing that out FinallyME and oldsoldier....
    I love my bolt action... though I would agree I wouldn't NEED it to survive.... Why would I get rid of it??.. especially where I shoot when hunting food not zombies.... and automatic weapons are illegal to hunt with... at least where I hunt.
    This guy is a complete moron.
    Guess he never heard that old adage " one shot , one kill."
    Hey y2k, any idea how many machine gun-toting soldiers have been taken out by a sniper?.... probably not... because you sir, are an idiot!
    Go ahead with your run and gun, spray and pray tactics...... it only takes 1 bullet, and you don't have to see it coming... jackass.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

Practically anywhere in the lower 48 states, you can see lights at night, if you'll just climb the tallest tree, hill, etc. you can then just mark the line of travel, and walk there the next day or two. So, unless it's shtf, there's no point in a "survival' rifle". Even if you're sick or hurt, a rifle is no help. you'd be way ahead to have a 1 lb .22 HG, and 5-6 lbs of survival type gear, instead of a 6-7 lb centerfire rifle and ammo.

All you really need is a satellilte phone, or just make a smoky fire and keep it going, someone will come to investigate it and save you. So you just need to keep the weather from killing you for a few days, and maybe have some water. If just lying around, you don't need food for weeks on end. I've known several men who fasted for over 30 days.

So survival, without a need to FIGHT, is long since just a fantasy. Fighting and bolt actions went out with the advent of the Garand, in 1940 or so. A bolt action can't even handle a pack of dogs, or get another hit on a fleeing cripple. It's a bad choice, and there's no reason to settle for such, when survival is the issue.
    is it only me, or does anyone else facepalm when they read this?
    bolt actions are slow , but a good portion of the time they are more accurute and you have time to think between shots. mabey you should think between threads
    Last edited by ravenscar; 11-13-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

I keep trying to figure out what some one like Carlos Hathcock would have to say on the subject. ROFL

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

idk, wait till i read "silent warrior" again and i'll have a better idea
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I keep trying to figure out what some one like Carlos Hathcock would have to say on the subject. ROFL
    Carlos wouldn't have to say anything. Tha last two record long range kills were with bolt action rifles. One in .50 cal the other in .338Lup. Both at nearly a mile and a half.

Between my bolt action .22 and my bolt action centerfires I pretty much keep myself fed. Deer and squirrels hardly ever ask what you just shot them with or if it was Y2K certified.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Y2K Certified!! KRS I am going to use that. That is funnier than crap.

"Survival, without a need to fight, is long since just a fantasy,.... "

Hmpff... a teenage girl died in my town... less than a mile from my house, about 2 years ago now.... from exposure when she got lost at night in the woods......
    A rifle may not of helped her... but I can guarantee a few shots in the air would have got the local law enforcement's attention.....

Somebody is sure living in a fantasy world.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Think we can get Y2K's opinion on the best survival knife?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Think we can get Y2K's opinion on the best survival knife?
    LOL,, Not for awhile !

So? Koreans eat cats. Lots of ignorant people in Alaska, just like anywhere else.
    What does it take to get banned?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.