Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fried pine bark

It doesn't look bad at all, too bad its a very small layer.

That's some funny stuff! Rep your way.

If you salt it and fry it in grease, it is a lot better.

I learned about this as a kid. Bears, in the spring will strip young fir trees for the cambium layer. This is why I tell people all the time, if you starve in Western Washington you are just plain ignorant. Camus, cat tails, cambium, grass and a whole host of weeds may not be the best thing to eat but you will not starve to death.

Default pine bark

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Actually, my mother said turpentine. My father said fried cardboard, and I thought of burnt popcorn. I guess it depends to the individual.
    I never ATE the bark, I just cut the strips and chewed like gum, then spit out the wood. I am interested in trying it cooked. Anything has to be better than pine bark especially pitch pine.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-03-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited one letter that chaged the entire meaning of the post

Quote Originally Posted by Otzi View Post
    I never ATE the bark, I just cut the strips and chewed like gum, then spit out the wood. I am interested in trying it cooked. Anything has to be better than pine bark especially pitch pine.
    Let me guess, there was an "h" in that word instead of a "p?" LOL!
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Just wanted to say that I tried some and found it to be quite good. I even fried some with a little salt and vinegar.

Banned

I wonder if you fry it in bacon grease ??

Banned

I have had spruce and sasafrass inner barks fried and otherwise cooked, they were ok. The sasafrass was actually very good, tasted like stiff teaberry gum.

Have chewed pine tree inner bark since I was a small child, never thought to cook it. I wonder if it adds or subtracts nutritional value? F.G.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmGirl View Post
    Have chewed pine tree inner bark since I was a small child, never thought to cook it. I wonder if it adds or subtracts nutritional value? F.G.
    Wonder also if it matters whether Longleaf, Loblolly, Shortleaf, etc.... ?
    "YOU will show me the path of life." - Psalms 16:11

I'll definately try that, thanks for posting.
    Barefoot-the best kind of shoe, and the best way to run. Let's all run barefoot-together.
    PEACE!