Thread: Boots in the Field Journal - Volume 4

Default Boots in the Field Journal - Volume 4

Boots in the Field Journal - Volume 4
    Today was a nice weekend day, got up as usual about an hour and half before first light and cooked a big breakfast for the family. Then spent the morning helping clean the house, then I wormed all my dogs (I do it 4 times a year…when the seasons change), then had lunch and played with my son for a while.

About 2pm, it started to cloud up a little and cool off drastically. Being hunting season, any time the barometer makes drastic changes- I like to go look for Elk. Its been my experience, that drastic changes (specifically cooling) make Elk get active. Since, I have world class Elk hunting right out of my door, I can take a fairly casual approach to chasing elk. Sometimes, I just sit in my living room and use a spotting scope and glass the hills around my place looking for Elk. Other times (like today) I get a little more motivated and hike up to the meadows in the Nat’l Forest down the road.

So, I grabbed my backpack filled with essentials, my old Belgium BAR .270, my bino’s, some ammo, and my Gransfors Bruks hunters axe and headed to the hills.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I just sighted my .270 in a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 15 years. My dad gave me this gun and I shot it a lot in my teens and early 20’s, then I got a .338, then later a .375 H&H mag, and forgot all about the .270. However, the past couple of years financial hardships saw me sell some stuff, and suddenly I am back to where I started. And that’s all right by me…this is a nice light gun, doesn’t have hardly any recoil and is damned accurate…so, on a long, steep hike it’s a great gun. And, the .270 is a fine elk gun anyway…

The gun sock, was made by wife- BEFORE we were married. Its pretty cool- its felt and has my initials on it, and the symbol I put on all my stuff (kinda like my own cattle brand).

So to get to my hunting grounds, I walk about ½ mile from my house, then pull out the glasses, sit-down and look over the meadows above me for game, and then plot out a strategy if I see something, or take-off hiking up if I don’t….

The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

So, since I didn’t see anything- I started hiking…My basic strategy is walk-up to the meadows, then continue on higher to a good vantage point, that has good views of a whole lot of country. So, I try to mix-it up and cover a lot of ground quickly when I am in open areas…then still-hunt my way through timber stands (good time to catch my breath)….

The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

I really like to get up to the high country with commanding views. This is big country, and if you only walk around and see the stuff right in front of you- you might have to walk for days before you find anything…

But, if you get up high with a nice vantage point, you can cover a lot of ground with your eyes. You can literally see over miles and miles of prime elk habitat if you get high enough…

However, today…I didn’t see any elk. I saw two mule deer does, and a couple of other hunters, and some incredible views. Not a bad day for a walk!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very Nice Country, Thanks.

Looks like a beautiful place to go walking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A great place to clear your head and rest your eyes, if I ever saw one. Thanks for posting the pics.

Great pics thanks for taking us along.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Thanks for sharing that. You live in some gorgeous country.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.