Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Bear Grylls Gerber?

Blog Entries

I kind of like the shape, and serrated edges have their place. I prefer plain edge though. I also like having orange on a knife in the woods so it is easy to find.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I've got two on order...one is for my son. This is nothing more than the Gerber "Prodigy" with the Grylls touch. I like the idea of the whistle, firesteel, & sharpener as well as the orange so's I can find it if I lay it down. I don't care if Grylls personalized it, it's still a good knife if it's made by Gerber. The Bayley S-4 Survival knife that bore Bear's name for awhile is a handmade jewel in the knife world.
    I knew it!!!!!! With all of your posts about his tush.......Sarge......you've got a man crush on him don't you. Go ahead......admit it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    I just can't think of a situation I have ever been in where a straight blade would have benefitted me. Try cutting climbing rope or webbing with a straight blade when it is wrapped around your leg and you are being dragged. With a serrated blade, you can cut it in one swipe. How many slices does it take with a straight blade? Want to test it with your life on the line?
    You are asking the wrong question. How many slices does a dull serrated blade take? The main problem with serrated blades is that you can't sharpen them easily. You have to use a special rod, and that is if you know how. Notice the BG knife doesn't have a rod sharpener. Also, since it is harder, your chances of doing it are lessened, so you end up carrying a dull knife. And, since it takes more skill, less people will be able to do it.

Okay, so lets say I have the skill and tools to sharpen my serrated blade. Can I make fuzz sticks to start a fire? Can I perform any delicate carving tasks needed for building? Is batoning easier? The only reason for serrations is to cut webbing and rope and bread. A straight blade can cut rope just as easily. Especially when you are being dragged. When you put tension on a rope or webbing, it is easier to cut. A sharp straight edge will cut a tensioned rope very quickly and in one slice. A dull serrated edge will take more.

For me a serrated edge makes no sense. Especially when it is located on the most used part of the blade. There is a greater chance of me having a sharp straight edge, then a sharp serrated edge. And, there is a very small chance that I will ever be dragged with my leg caught in webbing or rope. Of course, my straight edge will cut that like butter.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

If I want a serrated edge I would just get me one of those cool spyderco hawkbill knives(harpy/tasman etc....)
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    You're joking right??? That is humor isn't it?? He is above all else, an adrenaline junkie. He does dangerous things and inspires other to do stupid things. And let us not forget that he goes back to the hotel with the camera crew unlike Les Stroud.

I like ole Les too but seriously, you really think he's on his own? with a sat phone and a rescue crew over the hill! he has a good show with good info but his skill set doesn't really compare to bear Grylls.
    Bear's creds include things like service in the SAS which that alone carries quite a bit of weight with me, climbing Everest along with many other difficult
    ascents and on and on.
    Les' skill set is a bit more pedestrian in comparison, more like a camping trip trip without chow than survival, still interesting but hardly comparable.

Now if we can just team old Bear up with the WWF boys. We'll call it Survival in the Ring. Hey, it's all real, right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kkbmtgg View Post
    I like ole Les too but seriously, you really think he's on his own? with a sat phone and a rescue crew over the hill! he has a good show with good info but his skill set doesn't really compare to bear Grylls.
    Bear's creds include things like service in the SAS which that alone carries quite a bit of weight with me, climbing Everest along with many other difficult
    ascents and on and on.
    Les' skill set is a bit more pedestrian in comparison, more like a camping trip trip without chow than survival, still interesting but hardly comparable.
    Check out the Gryills vs stroud thread,,

I cant find the link,, Mods,, a little help please

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

From what I understand Bear was in the Australian National Guard SAS. Not the elite british unit.

That is sort of like saying you are in the Rhode Island Green Berets and will start training next year. When I was in Officer basic school we had NG officers that had been officers in their units for 15 years and had never been to basic. We also had two Green Berets from out west that had never been to basic or SF training.

His fame for the youngest assent of Everest also seems underwhelming when we now have blind people climbing that hiking trail. All it takes is enough money to get there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Thanks Rick, I couldn't remember the name,, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    From what I understand Bear was in the Australian National Guard SAS. Not the elite british unit.

That is sort of like saying you are in the Rhode Island Green Berets and will start training next year. When I was in Officer basic school we had NG officers that had been officers in their units for 15 years and had never been to basic. We also had two Green Berets from out west that had never been to basic or SF training.

His fame for the youngest assent of Everest also seems underwhelming when we now have blind people climbing that hiking trail. All it takes is enough money to get there.

Oh I hear ya KY, 21 SAS{British not Aussie} ain't about much right??? Only just one of the two finest special forces units in the world...That's all. BTW, the very unit that we modeled our own Operational detachment Delta from.
    And it does take just a little bit more than money to climb Everest, simple hiking trail that it is.

I've seen them both in Alaska. Bear dropped on top of a frozen mountain glacier and Les on the beach with a kayak. Les was having a hell of a time in what I consider paradise and Bear crossed the most difficult terrain this state has to offer with ease. I only know Alaska but I know it well and Bear kicked ***! You'll have to be the judge for any other environment you may know better but it's no contest from where I sit.

Seems that this is turning into a Bear vs whoever thread.
    If this is what this is about...Remember..........They are TV shows......

I like Gerber knives, my favorite being the Touche', (not made any more.)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

I have owned a gerber chamealeon for about 12-13 yrs now. It was a good little knife. If some one here gets one of these BG knives be sure to post a review.
    -Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Not joking. I know he is not popular here but I doubt anyone here could keep up with him off trail. TV is what it is but his climbing, hiking and swiming abilties are not matched by the others. I'm like him, walk home and leave the rest of them out there to eat bugs for week.

hahaha, you got that right. the man lacks fear and a gag reflex. I admire the guy as what he is, a soldier and explorer.

He shows survival skills, but how he travels is suicidal.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I have a Gerber Big Rock camp knife that is Ok. I have the one with serrations and wouldn't recommend it over any of my other knives. I don't like serrations on a primary knife.

As for the Gerber machete, mine rusted quick and I have found a cheap Tramantino and a decent folding saw are a much better investment. The Gerber axe is great. But, it is made by Fiscar and there brand axe is just slightly better made and costs less.

Blog Entries

Cool Got it!!! It's here!!!!

Got my BG Gerber yesterday as they were released early! Except for Bear's name & initials all over the thing I really like it! It's a nice knife to stick in a pack or take on a day hike! However, as far as a great survival knife goes it's never going to replace my Mora 2000 Survival knife! The Mora has cut through tough nylon rope by just pushing down on the blade, no "sawing action" involved. More on the BG Gerber as it develops!

For Gerbers that don't have all the BG stuff on it, check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nife&x=16&y=17

as I've mentioned before, the Gerber "Prodigy" is what the BG knife is based on!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Come on Sarege - admit it. You've got a man crush on Bear dontcha?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Come on Sarege - admit it. You've got a man crush on Bear dontcha?
    Well, now that you mention it, I do have this thing for sailors...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Well, now that you mention it, I do have this thing for sailors...
    I knew it!!! ..........hey - wait a second.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel