Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Bear Grylls Gerber?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I like bears Grylles better than the rest of the bug eating survivalists. He travels farther and faster than the rest and if getting home is your survival plan he stands head and shoulders above the rest. I have been pleased with all the Gerber products I have owned too.

I agree with that, Bears shows are aimed at teaching the relative novice how to stay alive, situations are constructed for just that purpose on that show not to try to pass a fast one on the viewer.
    The knife looks dandy but I don't much care for wasting valuable blade space with serrations, top of the blade serrations are OK but I want all of my cutting surface.

Sweat, there is a paper inside that gives you advice from Bear on how to survive. That should do wonders on thinning the herd.

I don't like the knife. I have a few Gerber multitools, and like them, but I don't like fixed blade Gerbers. I don't like the serrated edge. What good is the flat knife sharpener if your blade is serrated? I don't like the choice in steel. All the extra features are easily put on any other knife out there. I would rather get a Cold Steel anything and add the features and end up with a better tool. But, that is just me. It might work for you though.

Oh yeah, to the OP. I like the grohman knives. Good design. Good choice in steel. Never used one, so can't comment on quality.
    Last edited by finallyME; 11-04-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Gree with that, Cold steel is good kit though it's hard to beat homemade, no serrations please. I also like the older Al Mar knives{ when Al was still with us} good steel from a fine warrior, don't know too much about their products these days.

Awww but animal turds are my FAVORITE...

Re China: Doesn't bother me. They need jobs too.

My review will be in a while, as its going on Christmas list for the wife.

I carried a Gerber folder for several years.(Gator) Never had a complaint on the blade or overall knife quality. Still have the knife but seldom use it anymore. Probably give it to my 7 month old GS when he is a bit older. If I gave it to him now his dad would probably lay claim to it. lol Btw I waited till I was in my 50's to wake up one morning and say"I think I'll do the fixed blade thing. Still carrying the Old Hickory butcher and will till I wear it out. Again as I have stated before." Not an expert just passing on what works for me."

Oldtrap

I'm not into names and logo's as you may note. Just the job a piece of equipment does for me.

The design looks good except the serrations. I kinda like the gadgety firesteel setup.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

It's cool but my fear is all the bells and whistles will be cheap. At least that is the case with most all-in-one items. In order to make them affordable they have to use cheap items. Buying a good knife and then adding the same items to it might cost a bit more but will work much better and last much longer. However, if cool is what you want then this knife is perfect.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

The three finest survival tools I have found are all made by Gerber, the Gator machete Jr., the Gator axe and Gator axe II. It has been an easy decision to replace other tools with them but hard to choose between the three. For the same money get gerbers best. The Machete Jr is not as good as the axes but pound for pound a lot of cutting ability.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/products/gear/20

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I like bears Grylles better than the rest of the bug eating survivalists. He travels farther and faster than the rest and if getting home is your survival plan he stands head and shoulders above the rest. I have been pleased with all the Gerber products I have owned too.
    You're joking right??? That is humor isn't it?? He is above all else, an adrenaline junkie. He does dangerous things and inspires other to do stupid things. And let us not forget that he goes back to the hotel with the camera crew unlike Les Stroud.
    I know what hunts you.

I have quite a few Gerber produts myself most were purchased when all their products were made in the USA
    I know what hunts you.

Not joking. I know he is not popular here but I doubt anyone here could keep up with him off trail. TV is what it is but his climbing, hiking and swiming abilties are not matched by the others. I'm like him, walk home and leave the rest of them out there to eat bugs for week.

I have never felt the need to reply before, but I felt compelled after reading that people do not recommend serrations on their knives. I have owned knives with straight blades, and now they sit in a drawer in my room. I spend many of my days dirt biking, snowmobiling, rafting, and fishing. A good quality blade (not 420 stainless), is always with me. I just can't think of a situation I have ever been in where a straight blade would have benefitted me. Try cutting climbing rope or webbing with a straight blade when it is wrapped around your leg and you are being dragged. With a serrated blade, you can cut it in one swipe. How many slices does it take with a straight blade? Want to test it with your life on the line?

Bear's new Gerber-brand Knife
    Pros
    1. Made by Gerber
    2. Integrated Whistle, Sharpener, Hammer-Pommel, and Firesteel are very good ideas

Cons
    1. Integrated tools are of unknown quality
    2. Firesteel is a proprietary design - replacement may prove problematic
    3. Sharpening stone is probably a fine-grit unit which is not the best choice
    4. All the guady Bear Grylls branding is ugly

As to serrations:
    Serrations have their place. I know that rescue teams use them a lot for cutting rope and seatbelt webbing, etc. However, my experience has been that serrations are, as a general rule, used as a crutch by people who do not know how to get a knife blade truly sharp, including most of these rescue personnel.

Serrations basically turn a knife blade into a saw and personally, I see no use for them on any of my blades. I have no qualms about trusting my life to my pesonally-honed straight blades and would put them up against any serrated edge made in a comparison of raw cutting ability.

If you like serrations, great. You can rest comfortable in the knowledge that I will never be guilty of causing any shortage in their availability for you.

p.s. Oh, I almost forgot... I read through Bear's "Priorities of Survival" which is included with his knife and can be read on Gerber's website and they are pretty much useless.
    Last edited by lucznik; 11-05-2010 at 12:15 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The BG knife is nothing but the Gerber LMF in a bight orange marketing package.

It will perform to the same standards as any other Gerber LMF. Few of the features of the LMF appeal to me so I will not purchase one. I have other
    Gerber products I use constantly and I have always been happy with my Gerber purchases.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have a few Gerber tools and blades and I am happy with all of them.

I have bought a couple tools that while not really bad did not measure up to make it in my kit. The Gorge shovel was too heavy compared to other lighter shovel/picks that equaled them in performance. The other was the full sized Gator Machete that I replaced with the Gator Jr. machete. I often test things side by side in the field and much of it is personalized to suit my needs. To be fair the two items were OK and might suit someone else, just not me. No problem though, anything with Gerber written on it is good trading stock.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 11-05-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Rosebud - Why not cut your way over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.

Lucznik -Very good assessment.

Kyrat - I thought so, too, at first. Take another look at it. Either they've completely modified the handle for their buddy Bear or it's a different knife. But my first take was the LMF as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

I've got two on order...one is for my son. This is nothing more than the Gerber "Prodigy" with the Grylls touch. I like the idea of the whistle, firesteel, & sharpener as well as the orange so's I can find it if I lay it down. I don't care if Grylls personalized it, it's still a good knife if it's made by Gerber. The Bayley S-4 Survival knife that bore Bear's name for awhile is a handmade jewel in the knife world.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I just watched Bear's commercial for this knife that is posted on Gerber's website. From that I have a few more observations...

1. The handle of the knife and the access to the sharpening stone are both secured to the sheath with Velcro closures. I don't like Velcro. It's noisy, it gets gummed up with crap really easy, and it is not particularly rugged.

2. He demonstrated the whistle and it didn't sound very loud to me. Now, admittedly, this could have been due to some small technique failure on Bear's part when blowing it or it could have been due to a sound equipment issue, but I would want to test it to be sure.

3. The notch that they have cut on the back of the blade for use with the firesteel is right up by the handle guard. That puts the handle, your hand, and the whole blade of the knife in the way when striking sparks into your tinder bed. I would prefer they locate the notch farther out toward the tip of the knife. Of course, 30 seconds with a grinder is all it would take to solve that problem.

I just read through Bear Grylles survival tips and for the most part it seemed to be fairly generic information I have heard professed on this forum by many. One thing that stood out to me that I agree with whole hardedly is that he placed clothing as first and highest priority. This is great advice and a phylosophy I have developed myself over the years to the point I have less need for shelter, fire, sleeping bags, tents, etc.

The serated edge seems to only cover half the blade so everybody should be happy. Slice or saw.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 11-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.