Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Bear Grylls Gerber?

Blog Entries
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned

could you repeat that please

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, OK, Seems that we have a redundant thread going. (y'all know this part right?)

And by the looks of things, it's against the rules to buy a knife, destroy it, report on it, then expand on the report in post, on your own blog site, in the text, instead of in the signature.

But if, say some else, reports on the reporter, of the purchaser and destroyer, of the knife and all the reporting that goes with it, and puts a link to the blog, in the text, it's OK?

Seems to me a waste of good rules.
    But of course everyone concerned already knows this as well, Right?

So, what did we decide?
    Was the gerber BG knife worthy of all the gyrations?
    There ya go....enjoy!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Why didn't they extend the tang another 1/2 inch and attach the pommel to it? It just seems stupid to make it encapsulated.
    I second that, makes little sense to me. Charge an extra $5 and extend it the rest of the way to support its stated purpose of 'hammer pommel'.

Uumphf! Right in the gut...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    That test is retarded. If you and your knife are on fire for 5 minutes, you no longer need a knife.

A Ka-Bar USMC knife will not survive the above test, yet it works for it's task.
    I have used the Ka-Bar as a field knife for over 40 years. I was issued my first one in 1961. As I have stated before it may not do all tasks great but it does all tasks "good enought".

When I inventory my "make do" stuff I am always surprised at the amount of knives that are stashed; Pocket, Fixed blade (nothing larger then my Ka-Bar except for one machette), and folders. When I make a new/another bag/kit the first thing that goes into it is a knife then fire materials.
    There is an absent of knives with a Gut hook.
    It appears that the only thing that outnumbers the knives are fire making "thingies",
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Banned

The older Kabars easily pass all 14 tests... the new ones do not, they are too brittle and do not carry an edge even close to the older ones. Good choice in a knife Beans.

Actual in use, in kit knives, I do not have that many, I depend on my SRK mostly. Fire making I do have many redundant items and systems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    Uumphf! Right in the gut...
    I'm sorry if that hurt.

Blog Entries

I have an Ontario KA-Bar that was issued to me back it the early 80's. The edge is really swayed do to many years of sharpening. The stick tang is bent up right at the guard. It got bent while trying the skin a 4ft bull shark.

I retired this knife when I retired form the Military and bought a KA-Bar D-2 extreme which I put away when I received the AK bush knife.

Right now I've been carrying an EESE R-4 when I go a field.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, OK, Seems that we have a redundant thread going. (y'all know this part right?)

And by the looks of things, it's against the rules to buy a knife, destroy it, report on it, then expand on the report in post, on your own blog site, in the text, instead of in the signature.

But if, say some else, reports on the reporter, of the purchaser and destroyer, of the knife and all the reporting that goes with it, and puts a link to the blog, in the text, it's OK?

Seems to me a waste of good rules.
    But of course everyone concerned already knows this as well, Right?

So, what did we decide?
    Was the gerber BG knife worthy of all the gyrations?
    You pretty much nailed it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

great entertaining thread guys!i am certainly no knife expert but have broken my share -right now i carry a nice little Mora and a big ugly Ontario Afghan -i think they compliment each other

Banned

I am still sad that Gunny Ermy is hawking goods.......and too boot at SMKW ....one of my most fav knife stores to go to when I am in Gatlinberg

So...are you talking the new SRK or the old one? I bought the old one with CarbonV steel at the PX in Iraq for $40. I guess the new ones have a different steel. I attached it to my body armor and used it to break up ice in the cooler. I used my EMT shears to cut open the MRE's, much safer. I have recently painted it camo like I did to my rifle. The blade is not painted.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Older one, have not tested the new one. I bought 5 of the older ones and keep 3 back. One is on my BOB and the other on my belt. I have heard a lot of bad about the SRKII actually and knifetests only gave it a 5 blades out of 7. I will stick with my older SRK, it has proven itself to me time and time again.

The Mora's that were tested, both received only 1 1/2 to 2 blades each, failed way too many of the crucial elements when testing as a survival/rescue type knife.

Uhmmmm MREs peel open at the top, no need to cut them, that allows them to be resealed while heating or just to keep what you do not eat, but to each their own I guess. The new first strike meals have a sealed zipper top that can open and reclose with a zipppppp after it is first opened.

Cute spiderman gear too there LOLOL

Looks like BG has gone comerical, or maybe just Gerber....Sportsmans Guide:
    http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=784457

Just a couple of questions? What's the black thingy on top of the spider man suit? Why a spider man suit?

Dang! A Bear Grylls machette?! Now we're talkin'!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Looks at Rick and gets blow torch ready to make tomato stakes from the BG long knife.... see, I told ya all it was 17-4/704 SS (Sportsman Guide ad depicts the steel used)......gag, puke, spit.... Blah blah blah, 17-4 makes great airplane parts, it totally blows for knives though.

On Gerber's site I think that steel is listed for the scout knife but not the ultimate knife. I wonder if they are different alloys.

Blog Entries

The following taken from KnifeArt.com for all you lubbers of Carbon V.

Carbon V is a trademarked term by Cold Steel, and as such is not necessarily one particular kind of steel; rather, it describes whatever steel Cold Steel happens to be using, and there is an indication they do change steels from time to time.

Carbon V performs roughly between 1095-ish and O-1-ish, in my opinion, and rusts like O-1 as well. I've heard rumors that Carbon V is O-1 (which I now think is unlikely) or 1095.

Numerous industry insiders insist it is 0170-6. Some spark tests done by a rec.knives reader seem to point the finger at 50100-B. Since 50100-B and 0170-6 are the same steel, this is likely the current Carbon V.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just a couple of questions? What's the black thingy on top of the spider man suit? Why a spider man suit?

Dang! A Bear Grylls machette?! Now we're talkin'!!
    Well, you wouldn't need to carry paracord, just shoot our own....Now why didn't I think of that!