Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Bear Grylls Gerber?

Default Opinions on the Bear Grylls Gerber?

What are peoples thoughts on this knife - http://bear.gerbergear.com/ besides a brilliant piece of marketing? I want a serrated edge, and the extras look handy.

Amazon has them on for 59.99

Btw: Here is a knife I currently use, mine was inherited from my grandfather and is dated 1971, still in mint shape, even the case.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r100s.html

Anything endorsed/designed or tought of by bear has no credibility with me.
    I know what hunts you.

You could probably do worse for a knife. You could probably do better, too. Gerber offers a limited lifetime warranty so if you ever have a problem with the blade they will stand behind it. If you just want something with Bear's name on it then go for it. Knives are a pretty personal item. Everyone is going to have an opinion and most are going to be jaded just because of who's signature is on it. But Gerber makes a good blade in my opinion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like it. I don't care who's name is on it. It has a whistle, sharpener, fire steel, hammer and blade.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Anything endorsed/designed or tought of by bear has no credibility with me.
    Yeah! What Sarky said!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I like bears Grylles better than the rest of the bug eating survivalists. He travels farther and faster than the rest and if getting home is your survival plan he stands head and shoulders above the rest. I have been pleased with all the Gerber products I have owned too.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I like it. I don't care who's name is on it. It has a whistle, sharpener, fire steel, hammer and blade.
    This is what I found appealing. I'd like the knife more without the big BG logo and orange highlights.

Banned
    Blog Entries

There is a good review at the Field & Stream site. All things considered, Price, firesteel, whisle, sharpening steel, it is a good beginners knife. I would suggest the Ka-Bar "Becker" BK-2 for about the same money.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelnwool View Post
    This is what I found appealing. I'd like the knife more without the big BG logo and orange highlights.

That is why they invented "Flat Black spray Paint".

I agree with rebel on this. With what all it comes with that's not too bad of a price. The few Gerbers I have owned were decent quality and served me well.

As always you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    There is a good review at the Field & Stream site. All things considered, Price, firesteel, whisle, sharpening steel, it is a good beginners knife. I would suggest the Ka-Bar "Becker" BK-2 for about the same money.
    I'm not even sure how to classify the term "beginner knife" I've used a knife my whole life but not sure of my rank :P

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm not even sure how to classify the term "beginner knife" I've used a knife my whole life but not sure of my rank :P

Beginner Knife: Someone who has NOT used a fixed blade knife there whole life. They wake-up as an adult and decide to buy their FIRST knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Beginner Knife: Someone who has NOT used a fixed blade knife there whole life. They wake-up as an adult and decide to buy their FIRST knife.
    What kid was not given given a knife at 6 years old and continued to cut himself with it till he was 30 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    What kid was not given given a knife at 6 years old and continued to cut himself with it till he was 30 years old.
    My nephew. His dad is a giant softy and thought giving him a 3 inch swiss army at 12 was a huge concern... I can't make this up

I can remember building all kinds of stuff with mom's kitchen knife and alder bushes since i was 10 Even built a dome shelter once with it.

My nephew. His dad is a giant softy and thought giving him a 3 inch swiss army at 12 was a huge concern... I can't make this up

I can remember building all kinds of stuff with mom's kitchen knife and alder bushes since i was 10 Even built a dome shelter once with it.
    Life seems to be a slow transition into the twilight zone! It's just not the same world any more.

As to the OP - I don't have one, but it looks fine to me. Just be aware that the name on it has probably added $20 to the price of the knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    As to the OP - I don't have one, but it looks fine to me. Just be aware that the name on it has probably added $20 to the price of the knife.
    The price on amazon is 59.99USD. I recently prices a no features Gerber at Canadian Tire for 49.99 CAD. So for the extra bits, I think the price is still reasonable.

I think I'm gonna get it.

Let us know how you like it once you take some of the shine off.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gerber makes decent knives IMO. Just make sure the "BG" on the handle doesnt talk you into squeezing the moisture out of animal turds to keep hydrated.

I like Gerber knives as well, some are now made in China, but what isn't?
    Looking for ward to your review.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27