Thread: A Question about schools.

Blog Entries

Default A Question about schools.

Currently I'm a full time student in the South-Savo Vocational school. (secondary level education). I study Wooden boat building. We students learn more traditional than industrial way of making them.

Couple pics of a WIP boat.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    (I took the pics)

As part of my studies I have an chance to go abroad as an exchange student. And as the school(city/government/taxpayers/me) pays for the trip I thought why not go somewhere I would not otherwise go. In this case, the USA. Unfortunately my school doesn't have standing partner schools in the US so I'm doing a little bit of research on possible places I could have the school to contact regarding this matter.

I was figuring that since you guys generally know and appreciate quality craftsmanship you might know schools in the States where they teach this craft.

Ps. This might also give me a rare chance to meet up with some of you guys since I really don't have the $$$ to fly there for Jamborees and such...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Some of the East Coast folks might be able to help you. There are not too many conventional boat builders in the Midwest. Sorry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

How about fiberglass?
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Last edited by BENESSE; 11-03-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Great link Benesse, Thank you!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are two instituations I can think of immidiately that might have a program that your present skills would transfer too.

Berea College in Lexington, KY and University of North Carolina at Chappel Hill.

Both are well respected and accredited institutions with excellent program at the graduate and undergraduate levels in traditional crafts. Both also have international programs.

UNC is espically well known for the preservation of traditional skills.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your help! I'll get together with the head of our international programs with the names of all the said schools.

I have no first hand knowledge of any of the boat building schools, but if you Google "boat building school" and then insert a state (Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, etc) you get quite a few returns.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Maine has quite a few. My BIL apprenticed with a builder somewhere around the Sabago lake area but I dont remember who and he isnt a BIL anymore so I cant just ask. He was paid to learn the skills. It might be worth looking for builders and asking if they would take on a new apprentice.

This particular link is "The Mother of All Maritime Links" (post #6)
    http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/...nk-01.html#top

I actually got caught up in reading it and it's just amazing how much there is about all sorts of things--just check out the contents.

This publication has school advertisements:http://www.woodenboat.com/