Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter garden

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there are at least 3 different amaranths that have taken a wild population around here and I'm very interested in using those as well. please pass along any info you find!
    If you enjoy greens you should get some collards going before it gets frosty. the frost will turn them shades of purple and make them sweet.

Did anyone see the raid on Rawsome. It is a raw foods place, & now the government is trying to say who can grow what in their own yards.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/17/raw-foods-raid-fight

Does anyone know about this, & what might be happening.

The whole thing is disturbing to me.
    Chari

"The past gives us experience and memories; the present gives us challenges and opportunities; the future gives us vision and hope."

William Arthur Ward

You should read about the Food Safety Modernization Act that was passed in December. While I don't believe it will cause the dire outcomes that some envision, I am concerned about the creeping incrementalism of government regulation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have forgotten what life was life before government regulations. Listeria and E. coli outbreaks to name a couple. Both from tainted raw milk. Selling or trading unpasteurized milk is against the law. If they choose to violate the law then they should expect to suffer the consequences. There is a reason it's illegal. People can die from drinking it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The people who drink raw milk get what comes of it. I understand the need for pasteurization. I am concerned about what is coming next.
    Chari

"The past gives us experience and memories; the present gives us challenges and opportunities; the future gives us vision and hope."

William Arthur Ward

Which is? I try not to invent things to worry about. I find there are plenty on the table without me inventing them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a friend who is vegan, and into the news sites that try to tell everyone that the government is going to stop allowing herb & natural remedies from being sold. Sorry if I sounded out there. She has a way of inciting panic sometimes.
    Chari

William Arthur Ward

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can always order stuff in from outside the U.S.
    Actions speak louder than words

Separate thread posted.

I do enjoy greens. But I am the only one in the family who does. Already, I think I'm turning into a leaf of swiss chard, I have to eat so much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    there are at least 3 different amaranths that have taken a wild population around here and I'm very interested in using those as well. please pass along any info you find!
    If you enjoy greens you should get some collards going before it gets frosty. the frost will turn them shades of purple and make them sweet.

Oh and last weekend we had a hard freeze. Pretty sure it killed the tomato and tomatillo. I thought the cayenne and potato were killed too, but now they are showing signs of new growth.

Everything else seems A-OK. Even had a tiny harvest:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I've stopped growing Swiss Chard. I'm the only one that eats it despite the fact that's it's a great veggie and a versatile one. But like you said, when you're looking at 20 lbs. of the stuff you start thinking maybe it's not the right one to plant.

grrlscout, I have dumped potato peels in the rabbit droppings under cages in the fall,turned it,and planned on haing some nice fertilizer come spring to turn into the garden.

But those darn potato peels had eye spots that decided to grow after the last frost of the following spring,nice bunch of potatoes that year!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Oh Nell, I wish I had such luck! In my three attempts, I have yet to successfully grow potatoes. Lots of potato plants, but no actual spuds.

The ones I have now are actually duds from last season. I thought I pulled them all out. But I guess I missed a few. I started seeing new greenery a couple months ago.

There's hope yet!

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post
    Oh Nell, I wish I had such luck! In my three attempts, I have yet to successfully grow potatoes. Lots of potato plants, but no actual spuds.

The ones I have now are actually duds from last season. I thought I pulled them all out. But I guess I missed a few. I started seeing new greenery a couple months ago.

There's hope yet!
    OL get thee some bunny poop and throw over them,they really seem to like it!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Latest: big ole radish, some carrots

Soon, an artichoke:

Plus, the usual lettuce and chard.

Grrlscout, Ive been struggling with root crops as we've not had enough warm
    weather and I can grow a few tater's but nothing to write home about..Greens?
    love 'em! and I can grow them bumper crop with ease with a little help from my
    chickens (or the by-product of)..I eat so much of them I have to tie coal oil rags
    around my ankles to keep the cut'worms from getting me........................BH51..

We're eating whites around here. You can take your pick of snow ice cream or snow cones. Neither fry up very well I'm afraid.

little cabin on the river. NE interior AK

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We're eating whites around here. You can take your pick of snow ice cream or snow cones. Neither fry up very well I'm afraid.
    We are eating quite a bit of those "whites" too.
    But my jar of sprouts is the 'go-to' greens this time of year !
    Grandma Lori
    "
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit
    ~Ed Abbey

Carrots:

And lots and lots of chard:

Hey Grrrlscout! I saw your marks around the Phoenix area for edible native plants! Very cool! And you garden too, awesome, I started a veggie garden last year, didn't do so great, nice big leafy plants with barely any fruit...trying again this year.