Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Sourdough recipe for: "Gourmet BEAN GLOP"

Or bachelor food.

Although I may make mine a little different, there's nothing like a pot of beans simmering on a cold winter day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Although I may make mine a little different, there's nothing like a pot of beans simmering on a cold winter day.

Plus you don't waste time on a ice cold outhouse seat......trust me.....as the cable guy say's, "GET'R Done"....

I wondered how the beans would turn out (or turn into) after seven days on the stove.
    Cooked some up yesterday afternoon; they'll be gone after tomorrow.
    I only cook beans about a pound at a time.

Blog Entries

And in other news... A Thundering Herd of Attack Geese made their first retreat in the face of a most vicious storm force "Beanado" Alaska has ever known. Tail feathers singed, the Geese just made it out.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Crash,may I remind you,that you live in FLORIDA??? You know nothing of cold winter days,all those past memories are just that,memories!

But the pot-o-beans are still good no matter where you live!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hey! It's gonna be in the 80's today. A fella could get a chill.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

After 32 years of marraige I can't eat "Real Man Food" anymore. I see what my bachelor friends eat and there is no way! I know a guy that made a banana pie for a church potluck. When finished he cramed it in a jar and took it to church and wondered why no one wanted his pie. Bean Clop? Sounds delicious... Have you considered a new name for it?

I would eat the Bean Glop while it is fresh. After a couple of days with it still on the stove, I'd be catious as to what stuff has gotten into it. Yes, heating the food up would kill the bacteria, but if it got cold enough for some gram-negative bacteria to start colonizing, it wouldn't matter if you killed the bacteria, it would still not be fit to eat as the bacteria will release the endotoxin after it has been killed. That is why some people will feel worse after being given antibiotics for certain infections.

But if it was prepared fresh, I'd eat the fool out of it. The thicker the better!
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned
    Blog Entries

The last batch cooked for three weeks, no problems.

History shows us that it was and is something done with not so many side affects, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. The original recipe does sound delicious, though.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    History shows us that it was and is something done with not so many side affects, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. The original recipe does sound delicious, though.
    This is a test run of living on my survival food, Baked Beans & Sardines are what I have the most of, and want to reduce quantity of. Plus I'll know I CAN do if I ever have to do it. Kind of a Boots in the field kind of thingie.

RX - Putting food on the fire and leaving it there has been an age old practice. It's not the same as cooking and reheating without the use of refridgeration, which is a no-no. But leaving it on the fire and adding to it was a common practice especially in Colonial America.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

With the cooler weather arriving, my wonderful bride made a crockpot full of bean slop. Oh, you mean Glop; nevermind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Ok, my thoughts were that perhaps the fire would go out, and there might be a couple of hours without any heat. It would have to take a lot of wood to keep it going 24/7, right. Anyways, the constant temperature would kill any bacteria. In lab, we also have to flame the mouth of tubes and bottles in which we are going to use for different bacterias. Not only is this to kill and foreign bacteria, but it heat the air and rises. This causes like a mini affect and keeps foreign material from falling down into the tube or bottle. I suspect that the constant fire would do much of the same thing.
    ~Rocky Balboa