Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia puffing it's chest

Default Russia puffing it's chest

Default I read the article.

Objectively speaking, we'd feel the same way if we were in their predicament.

We also have the capabilty now to deliver a strike in 1 hour anywhere on planet earth , Im pretty sure that frightens alot of countries!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Yup this is crazy stuff. But as SemperFi said we also have these powers and would hopefully use them if we were also threatened with them. Good thing we dont border russia too much, aye?
    Last edited by EarthRocks; 11-18-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Russia (hardly the old Soviet Union) is the LEAST of our worries.
    And delivering a strike in 1 hour anywhere on planet earth would hardly buy us enough time to enjoy it.

Russia is doing what we should do. Talk up our "defensive" weapons, scale down the conventional military. Stop spending billions on hypersonic missile systems when we already are invincible in defense.

Somewhere along the line we will have to stop babysitting the world and looking for conflicts to involve ourselves in.

Which conflicts? You may ask.

Somalia-total waste of money.

Iraq-part 2- why?

Iraq-Part one- again, why? Is their neighbors don't give an at's rass about it, why should we.

Former Yugoslavia- we waited for the war to be over and then went and hung out in the center of a bad situation without doing anything to change it.

Vietnam- When your President can't say why you are spending trillions and sending our heroic young men off to a war that the government won't allow them to fully engage in; you may be wrong. (Vietnam Vets, you are my heroes. Thank you and Welcome Home)
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Amen, Winter.
    We've got the muscle. Now we need brains. Maybe it would have been more useful if we had brains first.

We have plenty of brains. The problem is those brains in charge are selfish a$$holes.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    We have plenty of brains. The problem is those brains in charge are selfish a$$holes.
    Not meaning to split hairs, but...if you're a selfish Ahole, you don't have brains.
    It's the difference between being good at chess vs. football. JMHO, of course.

It's rhetoric. Just like sending Marines to Australia. It's how one version of diplomacy is played. I once told a grand daughter if she didn't behave I was going to set her butt on fire. She ran to grandma and begged her to hide the matches. You really have to understand what they are saying to understand the real threat and it's not nuclear by any stretch.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I understand rick. I posted it above. Russia has no money for overt military activity. The best thing to do is remind people to not mess with you because you still have 1/2 the arsenel that spawned "duck and cover".

Yeah, they sorta have them.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But the delivery platforms need a bit of work.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

They only ever had 1/2 the arsenal they claimed, BUT, 200MT is still not good when it's a mere 20mt.

"Don't poke the bear"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

All it takes is one!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Default Fast forward to the 21st century

Russian hackers breach Springfield Illinois Water Utility and destroy pump.

Apparently, Russian hackers are targeting Springfield, Illinois's water. According to Wired's "Threat Level," last week a group of hackers breached the Springfield, Illinois water utility system and remotely destroyed a water pump.
    The breach was discovered on November 8, when an employee noticed a problem with the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA). The problem caused the water pump to burn out after being continuously turned on and off. The Department of Homeland Security's Industrial Control System-Cyber Emergency Response Team, when queried by reporters, revealed that a utility company in Springfield, Illinois was hacked."

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...y-destroy-pump

I read the report on this incident this morning. It appears the software company keeps a log of anyone accessing the systems so they can assist their customers. That log is what let them know the access came from Russia. The water company didn't know anything about it. Only that they lost a pump. However, they had several other pumps running and water service was never affected. Still...........

...still...
    this was just a water pump. Next time it could be much worse.
    What are we gonna do about it...send over a warhead?

having the capability to reach destination in 1 hour is a real advantage because these are not missle strikes , the advantage is the vehicle in question in maneuverable , in other words it can change its trajectory at a moments notice, this technology is so advanced that even our smallest bombs will be successful because they can be placed anywhere in the world ! I wouldnt count out Russia and its capability either , they are highly advanced , all these rogue nations like Iran, Pakistan etc,etc , there nuclear capabilities are directly associated with the russians (and germans), and Putin making a bid for the presidency again things are getting lively he wants the Kremlin ways back in power , he knows the chinese are getting there but arent quite yet and he wants to take back his share , think about it , we've complied with the nuclear treaty dismantling nukes but have the russians?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Russia (hardly the old Soviet Union) is the LEAST of our worries.
    And delivering a strike in 1 hour anywhere on planet earth would hardly buy us enough time to enjoy it.
    Very true. No matter where these things go its going to get ugly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Benesse
    ...still...
    this was just a water pump. Next time it could be much worse.
    What are we gonna do about it...send over a warhead?
    I have no way of know one way or the other but because of what as targeted I'd suspect this was an unorganized, unsanctioned attack. If that is true then the FBI's Cyber Security Division will track it back and probably work with Russian police to affect an arrest. Of course that stuff originates from here as well, sanctioned and unsanctioned.