Thread: Curly Dock / Rumex Crispus

Wastelander

Default Curly Dock / Rumex Crispus

This is the 7th episode of 'Tales From The Wasteland' in it Dogmeat and I go over the curly dock. Curly dock is a crisp salad vegetable, but must be eaten in moderation. Cooking will allow you to eat much more of this plant and there is actually a number of recipes on the internet for it.

WARNING: Rumex contains tannic and oxalic acid. It must be eaten in moderation (part of a salad, not a salad of it) or cooked in several changes of water to remove these acids.

Curly Dock is a versatile plant~Vinegar, salad dressing, soup, salads, cooked greens, the list goes on. It's a great survival food because in the winter when the ground is covered in white you can scout a field and see the dark red seed heads sticking up. You can eat the seeds raw or roast them, I've even make bread from grinding the red seed/grain in the winter (they make good flat breads/ or additives to other flours/wheat gluten. As curly dock flour is gluten free it don't raise well) The acid in Curly Dock that makes it sour is the same that is in one of my favorites: Wood sorrel, pickle weed, false shamrock, whatever you call it. Oxalic acid, contained in plants, usually isn't enough to hurt you unless you have gout. If ya have GOUT THROW IT OUT. Thanks for the info!
    CRYSTAL

Winnowing dock seeds drive me insane...

Quote Originally Posted by cbeshore View Post
    Curly Dock is a versatile plant~Vinegar, salad dressing, soup, salads, cooked greens, the list goes on. It's a great survival food because in the winter when the ground is covered in white you can scout a field and see the dark red seed heads sticking up. You can eat the seeds raw or roast them, I've even make bread from grinding the red seed/grain in the winter (they make good flat breads/ or additives to other flours/wheat gluten. As curly dock flour is gluten free it don't raise well) The acid in Curly Dock that makes it sour is the same that is in one of my favorites: Wood sorrel, pickle weed, false shamrock, whatever you call it. Oxalic acid, contained in plants, usually isn't enough to hurt you unless you have gout. If ya have GOUT THROW IT OUT. Thanks for the info!
    Hadn't heard the part about gout.....Thanks for the heads up......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ymmm. Ever eat saurkraut and weinies? Well, cut up some weinies, Cut up the curly dock, add a little water, and boil a few minutes. This is the only wild edible my daughter actually likes!