Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Clothing/footwear Info.

Has anyone experienced the military's Mickey Mouse boot in winter? I'm a little skeptical of my Scarpa SL M3 if I step through a frozen bog. Completely waterproof rubber, wool insulation, air pocket insulation with adjustable valve (wow?!), and army-rated down to -60F. I can get one for $40, think it's worth it?
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Default mickey boot

Yes, used them. Good boot, good price. they fit tight around the heel and walk good. Hard to put on quickly.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Has anyone experienced the military's Mickey Mouse boot in winter? I'm a little skeptical of my Scarpa SL M3 if I step through a frozen bog. Completely waterproof rubber, wool insulation, air pocket insulation with adjustable valve (wow?!), and army-rated down to -60F. I can get one for $40, think it's worth it?

We locally wear them everywhere, I never lace them up, it is a pain in the butt. The "VALVE" should be kept closed at all time when on the Earth. If it is open water will fill the space between the three layers of rubber and two of felt. The "Valve" is for airborne use only. And I assure you that such pain you have seldom experienced like having your foot crushed. If valve is not open when flying in a non-pressurized air machine. The locked air expands in the chambers, making the boot 5 sizes smaller. They run $100.- pair here and up to $150.- for near new ones. The black ones (Korea) are almost as good as the white ones.

Are they worth it....only if it is cold.....Then they are priceless. Does your feet sweat yep. Sweaty, damp and warm.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-21-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Looking for good quality Merino wool long johns. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Looking for a good quality vendor.

RBB
    The best merino wool ljs are Ulfrotte or as called in the USA Woolpower. They come in several weights and offer every piece of inner wear you need. Not cheap but worth every penny. Store with cedar blocks or moth balls because I've never seen a wool attract those friggin' moths like merino.

Thumbs up Clothing Info.

All I used to wear was wool. Lightweight in the summer and heavier weight in the winter. Although I do wear my silk long underwear, pretty much, all year long (unless it gets really hot). And I do have a couple of sets of lt. wt. & hvy. wt. merino wool long underwear, that I layer (depending on the temp.) over my silks.

Last fall I started to see bamboo clothing pop-up in stores. Gloves, hats, etc. After reading about it, bamboo is the way to go, especially in summer. It keeps you very cool in the summer and very warm in the winter. Now don't get me wrong, I still wear my wool and silks, but I purchased 2 - 20yd. bolts of bamboo fabric, to make shirts, bandanas, leggings, liners for my wool mitts, etc. I took the bamboo and lined my wool leggings with it. It made them incredibly warm!

I like natural materials (except for cotton). As the saying goes "cotton kills"! Once it gets wet, it stays wet.

Wouldn't waste my time on any of the synthetic clothing, i.e. polar fleece, polypropylene, etc., I've tried it. Junk, as far as, I'm concerned!

For Merino wool check out www.firstlite.com. They have an excellent product.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Thumbs up

Chasing my wife through the woods = nekked.
    We will be watching another breaking news show about 'A Hairless Sasquatch spotted in the North Georgia Mountains.

More news at 10:00 AM
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Thumbs up Winter Wear

Here's my standard winter wear.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Silk Long Underwear Top
    Silk Long Underwear Bottoms
    Merino Wool Long Underwear Bottoms www.firstlite.com
    Merino Wool Turtleneck Top www.firstlite.com
    Merino Wool Crewneck Top www.firstlite.com
    Woolrich Wool Shirt www.woolrich.com
    L.L. Bean Wool Sweater www.llbean.com
    L.L. Bean Wool Glomitts www.llbean.com
    Wool Beret

I also wear a wool capote and wool pants, but I couldn't take pics of them. Don't have them with me. There back at the cabin.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned these yet, but years ago I lived a while in northern Minnesota and the locals turned me on to Steger mukluks as cold weather foot ware intended for arctic conditions. They are incredibly warm and incredibly light. I pulled out the inner boot so you can see it.

Last edited by Deer Sniper; 03-08-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Stephen K. Wood

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    We generally are wearing hipboots, you fold them down when you are moving, and pull them up to cross streams, or break the wind.
    Depending on the camp food, having your boots up to break wind might result with the boots being rolled back down. I know, its childish, but I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by SnipAR-10 View Post
    Depending on the camp food, having your boots up to break wind might result with the boots being rolled back down. I know, its childish, but I couldn't resist.
    Not childish at all. Besides, it is a time tested survival technique used prior to crossing deeper water --- acts as floatation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ND - I've had a pair of Glomitts for 2 years. Crazy warm and really handy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh. About the glommits, those things are fantastic. I've bought three pairs in the past four years. Only reason its been three is that a friend will see them, and want a pair, so I've given two sets away. I assume they should last a long time should I be able to keep a pair long enough to see. Mine are actually branded "Remington", black fleece looking with thinsulate. They were bought at Wallyworld for around $10. Great since they're warmer(for me) than regular gloves, yet when you need dexterity for something they flop out of the way quickly. A small note though. If you're making snowballs or similar activity, the snow WILL get under the mitt part and get to your hand if you're not careful.

Blog Entries

You guys have all sorts of hih tech things. When I go hunting let say, in autum I usually wer long underwear, old swiss bdu, some rubber boots, woll socks in them, leather gloves and a red hat so moose hunters won't shoot me. Thats it. If its cold I put on wollen shirt my grandmom made me few years back. Here rubber boots is a must as there is a lot of vipers around, but they can't bit through that guality Nokia rubber. (And no Nokia doesn't only make cellphones and car tyres, they aso make the best rubber boots there is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    BDU stands for "Battle Dress Uniform". The Newest one is the ACU which stands for "American Combat Uniform".
    ACU stands for ARMY combat uniform.

And just for fun, DCU stands for Desert Combat Uniform.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Freedom Is Not Free MilVetPatriot's Avatar

I agree, it does depend on what your looking for...
    And I didn't read through all the comments to see if this was already suggested, But i order a lot of my things to include cloths and gear from that magazine called "The Sportsman's Guide". They have awesome deals.
    Also try Cheaperthandirt.com
    Quartermaster.com
    -The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants-

ive just got a pair of bear grylls pants for my bday.love them but they were advertised with reinforced knees and bum area. i have no reinforced areas on mine a bit dissapointing but still a good pair of pants even if you dont like the show ,

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Anybody know anything about "Under-Armor"?
    I like it, I think it's great for warm and hot weather. Not for use in cold weather. There's all kinds of off-brands these days, so it's not that expensive anymore. Mine has held up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    One thing I have learned is don't be cheap on your boots, nothing is worse than treking 20 miles into the wilderness, your feet are now killing you and every step of that 20 miles back is excruceating.
    Yep! Boots are a pretty personal thing, the same one won't work for everybody. Find a boot that feels good even after you've walked a long time in it. Unfortunately, mostly a process of trial and error. My current favorites are ultralight gortex Bates with a side-zip. Perfect for my job, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    Last fall I started to see bamboo clothing pop-up in stores. Gloves, hats, etc. After reading about it, bamboo is the way to go, especially in summer. It keeps you very cool in the summer and very warm in the winter. Now don't get me wrong, I still wear my wool and silks, but I purchased 2 - 20yd. bolts of bamboo fabric, to make shirts, bandanas, leggings, liners for my wool mitts, etc. I took the bamboo and lined my wool leggings with it. It made them incredibly warm!
    Is this for real? Tell me more.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Native Dude is a fake, wannabe, troll that lied through his teeth. But only when his lips were moving or his fingers typing. The worm lives in Detroit.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Aaah. I figured it was something like that, except that it didn't look like he'd been banned.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Banned

But, They DO make bamboo clothes, http://www.bing.com/search?setmkt=en...othing+for+men