Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Clothing/footwear Info.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Carhart, the complete line. I worked in them for more years than I care to think about. If it's 40 degrees or above and raining you either get wet from the rain or your own sweat, I don't mind rain.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Filson merino are the best. Silk is great. silk on the bottom then wool works great. Expensive but great.
    Filson's outerwear is great, very traditional and classic design, the best out there! They only offer a few pieces of underwear though.

I also wore Carharts when I worked outside. I wore the coveralls and I had the coat with the removable hood. Didn't work out in the rain, though. We had a saying about rain in our trade. "First drop is God's fault, the second drop is yours."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Filson cost

Your right good stuff but very expensive, If I live 20 more years I have plenty to last. Which works out well when you are retired. If I could swing it I would have one last pair of Filson Whipcords. I wonder if they have gee'zer discounts.

Blog Entries

In the winter, I prefer wool under, canvas outer, and buckskin if it's really cold.

Even under modern cammys, I will wear my wool leggins and wool shirt, with a canvas pull over with cammys outside.

When the wind is blowing hard, wool unders anything in the middle with a good buckskin pull over and leggins.

During working hours, I have a pair of Carhart insulated overalls that I call wussyalls. They are awsome! and waterproof and can be used with only a pants and shirt. Have to give the eng. one for that, as I use to get on them, until I got a pair.

Maybe they offer AARP discounts. (Ancient Alaskan Retired Person).
    Last edited by Rick; 01-05-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Good one

I like that, or maybe AARP "Aching Alaskan Retired Person"

It's your story. I give you permission to tell it any way you want.

Blog Entries

Question How about...

Anybody know anything about "Under-Armor"?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I don't think that stuff will work, Sarge. It's shaped a bit like a wedge from looking at the picture. I'm more like a bobber. .....

Thumbs up Love them silks. . .!!

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Filson merino are the best. Silk is great. silk on the bottom then wool works great. Expensive but great.
    I wear wool or a wool/silk blend of various weights. Light weight in the summer and heavy weight in the winter. No matter where I go I carry my silk unders. Both longs and shorts. They are lightweight,very compact able and will keep you cool in the heat and warm in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Anybody know anything about "Under-Armor"?
    I had some "UA" the first year I was in AK. Didn't last long. L.L. Bean has silks that are very tough, wear like iron, wash & dry quickly. I have had mine (4 pair) for 6 years now. (I cut 2 pair down to shorts and t-shirt for summer) I wear them daily. I hand wash them every 3-4 days and hang them by the fireplace to dry. Just got 2 new pair, from the family, for Christmas. . .Whoo hoo!

I have 2 pair of medium weight wool/silk blend to wear over my silks for those minus temp. days -- Very warm with my HBCo. wool trappers pants over top and my HBCo. wool capote coat.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Default UtiliKilts

Kilts how about Utilikilts www.utilikilts.com/ You will love the Mock_U_Mercials
    Last edited by Smok; 01-07-2008 at 12:52 AM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Blog Entries

Wink Yo Tony UK

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    Kilts how about Utilikilts www.utilikilts.com/
    Tony U.K., Here ya go lad!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Clothing for Rainy Trekking

Looking for recommendations for clothing (shell, pants, base layer) that will be comfortable in 35-50 degree weather and in anything from mist to heavy rain. As you may expect I tend to perspire heavily and so need something that breaths well and wicks perspiration. And is underclothing just as important as outerwear in staying dry?

Corndog - I use wool for my base layer. I have a pair of rain pants (for heavy rains). I either bought them from Cabellas or Backcountry. Otherwise just my poncho.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.

I cant say I have ever had the need for much wool...but carhart makes some dandy
    thermals but you had beter buy them big because they will shrink after a few washings. as for the under armor its good stuff but too pricey to crawl around in the
    swamp with and I get these creepy spandex flash backs every time see it...footwear
    500 mlgs of thinsulate in any quality boot seems to do the job around here. cant
    imagine strapping on spikes ...wouldnt wont to get in a A@# kicking contest with you guys.

Im an Air Cadet who is interested in the Aircrew survival portion of the association, and i am wondering what i would need for a weekend by myself and a few otehr frends to practice our survival stuff

a plan of activities and skills to learn and practice, then i would recommend a compliment of gear/equiptment suited to your area as you would take on any camping trip.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Shuck -

Go to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. The more we know about you the better we are able to assist. When you want to do this. Where you want to do it. What skills you have, all help to narrow down our suggestions.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-19-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Tony U.K., Here ya go lad!
    YAYAYAYAY Finaly I can take even more of Gods Necter

A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.