Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clothing/footwear Info.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Sarge, no we haven't tried the army bunny boots. They are popular with quite a few mushers and skidooers but we don't think they really lend themselves to hours of walking or snowshoeing, plus your feet are stewing in their juices in them and you can probably kill a moose with the fumes when you take them off.

It's gonna be the rest of the night before I get that picture out of my head.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nah Rick,with your attention span,you've probably already forgotten about it LMAO!

'Bout what?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thought so....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile Calk Boots / calks in general

Do they make carbide calks..??? Can worn calks be sharpened...if so how? It seems a shame to discard used calks. I have three pair of calk boots and it seems like the calks last two or three weeks, then the calks have to be changed. Do they make casehardened calks? where is the cheapest place to order replacement calks?

Yes, they do make case hardened calks. I don't know if these guys are the cheapest but they do carry them. I doubt you want as many as they are offering but you might call them and see if they will ship a smaller lot.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=25011
    Last edited by Rick; 01-03-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Calks...???

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yes, they do make case hardened calks. I don't know if these guys are the cheapest but they do carry them. I doubt you want as many as they are offering but you might call them and see if they will ship a smaller lot.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=25011
    Thank you, I buy lots of chainsaws and related stuff from Bailey's, I have two pair of their boots. I have been ordering calks from Hoffman Boots, they sell them for $.25 each. Hoffman Boots will ship via. US Mail, which is cheaper than UPS or FEDEX.

I don't think another company anywhere in the world matches them for forestry/wood products. I've bought a couple of pair of gaffs from them. We were issued pole gaffs when I worked outside but, as you know, those are too short to penetrate bark so I ordered some of the tree gaffs to replace them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Calks

I don't think another company anywhere in the world matches them for forestry/wood products. I've bought a couple of pair of gaffs from them. We were issued pole gaffs when I worked outside but, as you know, those are too short to penetrate bark so I ordered some of the tree gaffs to replace them.
    We order most all of our large powerheads, bars, and chainloops from Bailey's. Bailey's can no longer ship Huskies, but I have 14 Powerheads now and I am an old geez'ier.
    I have never used the redwood calks, only the standard calks. When I called Bailey's to ask if the redwood calks would last longer, they said, "no, that they would round off faster.

I use the calk boots in the winter for hiking on the lakes and rivers. That is why the calks need to be sharp. The rounded ones work fine in the summer.

My frustration is that it looks like I could braze a 3/16 nut onto a rod, then screw in the used, rounded calks, and sharpen them on a 2" belt sander. It is the "Homesteader" mentality coming out.

If you're just using them for ice, couldn't you use crampons? Here's a set you can put on over your boots and they have replaceable screws.

http://www.jordandavid.com/icegrips.htm

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Calks

If you're just using them for ice, couldn't you use crampons? Here's a set you can put on over your boots and they have replaceable screws.

http://www.jordandavid.com/icegrips.htm
    Rick, Thank-you......I must have 6 pair of those strap-on type. They are O.K. for city use, (car to store) But but you can't do five miles a day, day after day. They work well in the city because you can take them off and still have your boots on. Some of the problems I have had are the nylon straps get wet and freeze solid. Then you can't get them tight, and you can't get them off. On anything more than a few hundred yards the straps loosen, then the sole slips around, if you have mittens on and arctic clothing, adjusting the straps is a pain. Also sticks and stuff get jammed in between your boot and the strap-on. I now have three different type of calk boots for different conditions. 12" Packs that have calks and very thick felt liner (Hoffman Boots) also 14" rubber calk boots by "Viking", via. Bailey's; and a pair of leather 16" Lineman's calk boots made by White and sold through Bailey's. My next pair will be 6" Hiking boots with calks.

Well, I have to tell you, that was some good info on the strap ons. Things I never would have considered. I sure do understand the adjusting straps with mittens on. What a pain!

Default Clothing Info.

Looking for good quality Merino wool long johns. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Looking for a good quality vendor.

RBB
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Haven't seen a calk boot since I was logging in Alaska in the 1970s. Brings back some memories. They were sure good in a fight.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Logger clothing

I mostly wear Carhart Logger pants, they are very heavy denium 14.5 oz. have scads of pockets, and have large legs. When clothing is wet, and tight and your trying to hike up hill they bind. In the winter flannel lined loggers.
    When you think about it, logging clothes are made to last and work in the "WILDERNESS" that is where the trees are, or were.

What does "NOT" work is Tin stuff. Filson makes the very best clothing. And their wool whipcords are number one. But, all that Tin stuff takes generations to break-in. If your standing around in the rain it is great. for welding great, for hikeing not so great, for going in a lion cage for a smackdown great.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-05-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Do you wear some protective cover over them in rain? Rain gear, poncho, etc.? Wet cotton, even in summer, can get pretty uncomfortable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Rain...it never rains in Alaska

Do you wear some protective cover over them in rain? Rain gear, poncho, etc.? Wet cotton, even in summer, can get pretty uncomfortable.
    The short answer is no. even "Goat-tex" rain gear you are going to be soaking wet from your own sweat, if you are back packing. We use rain gear as windbreak gear. If your moving just be wet and uncomfortable, when you stop to glass, but on rain gear as a wind break. We generally are wearing hipboots, you fold them down when you are moving, and pull them up to cross streams, or break the wind. It is hard to put on Alaska weather, and if you live and work in the wilderness and sleep in a tent for three months in the late fall you are just wet and uncomfortable. That is why I get a kick out of the Bug-Out guy's who are going to leave America and drive to Denali National Park, and live off the fat of the land. Can it be done? Yes. I have a cabin there I have not seen in three years. That should give the Bugouters a clue.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Looking for good quality Merino wool long johns. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Looking for a good quality vendor.

RBB
    Marino wool is very nice for the under layers. The wool doesn't have the barbs on the hairs like other wools, in-turn no itchy or scratchy feelings. Smartwool is one of the best companies out there. It's pricy but holds up well and works. Check out their web site smartwool.com for their product line and then shop around for the best prices.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Filson makes the best

Filson merino are the best. Silk is great. silk on the bottom then wool works great. Expensive but great.