Thread: Hard Boil Fresh Eggs - with a twist.

Default Hard Boil Fresh Eggs - with a twist.

I saw somthing unusual in Maryland last month... Crabbers pouring a gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar into a large pot with boiling water and a bushel of Blue Point Crabs - -Ratio - appears to be 1-5 5 gallons of water to 1 Gallon or slightly less of Vinegar. Why? In Summary... Sweetens the meat and seperates from the shell... As we blog, I will procure a dozen of fresh eggs as I thought this might work for hard boiled! What do you think?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I saw somthing unusual in Maryland last month... Crabbers pouring a gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar into a large pot with boiling water and a bushel of Blue Point Crabs - -Ratio - appears to be 1-5 5 gallons of water to 1 Gallon or slightly less of Vinegar. Why? In Summary... Sweetens the meat and seperates from the shell... As we blog, I will procure a dozen of fresh eggs as I thought this might work for hard boiled! What do you think?
    It works,I either add vinegar,or salt to the water then bring it to a boil,never have problems peeling the eggs.

I have also heard to poke a whole in one end of the shell before boiling,to jeep it from cracking while boiling,and also helps when peeling them after.

(another trick is to drain the boiling water,and immediately place the eggs into a bowl of ice water until cooled)
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

I read somewhere that you can "boil" eggs with hot sand, but idk just though id throw it out there
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Once I've boiled them I run them under cold water as I peel them. The change in temp helps loosen the egg from the shell as Nell said.

Nell, adding salt to the water should raise the boiling point since the viscosity has changed. It could result in overcooked eggs. I don't add salt to any water that has to be boiled, like pasta, for that reason. Having said that, if it works for you...you know.

Older eggs work better to hard boil. I try to keep my older and newer eggs separated in the egg keeper so I know which ones are boilers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Once I've boiled them I run them under cold water as I peel them. The change in temp helps loosen the egg from the shell as Nell said.

Nell, adding salt to the water should raise the boiling point since the viscosity has changed. It could result in overcooked eggs. I don't add salt to any water that has to be boiled, like pasta, for that reason. Having said that, if it works for you...you know.

Older eggs work better to hard boil. I try to keep my older and newer eggs separated in the egg keeper so I know which ones are boilers.
    Rick, You are boiling them too long,LOL.

Bring the salted water and eggs to a rolling boil,place a lid on top,and turn off the heat,set timer for 20 minutes,and viola,perfectly hard boiled eggs!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

That how I to it without the salt.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Rick, You are boiling them too long,LOL.

Bring the salted water and eggs to a rolling boil,place a lid on top,and turn off the heat,set timer for 20 minutes,and viola,perfectly hard boiled eggs!
    My wife pointed to your post and said "see!" I dont do it that way but she does. I bring cold salted water with the eggs in it to a boil and leave it on the stove to boil for 7 minutes. I run it under cold water after the 7 minutes and viola..perfect hard boiled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    My wife pointed to your post and said "see!" I dont do it that way but she does. I bring cold salted water with the eggs in it to a boil and leave it on the stove to boil for 7 minutes. I run it under cold water after the 7 minutes and viola..perfect hard boiled eggs.
    I tell the Wife that I want hard boiled eggs and viola..perfect hard boiled eggs.

(I can't cook them worth a darn so I ask her nicely to do it).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I can see that both you guys walk on the wild side. Bravo!