Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnose an infection?

Still wet behind the ears Glockster's Avatar

Default Diagnose an infection?

After playing with my "Son's" new toy I started thinking, This is good enough to see see bacteria and viruses. Granted I have not tried this with his microscope YET! but it is has 900x and 1000x is what I have used before at the hospital.

The one I got my Son is like that one below but Costco has them for $18.99 bucks! I got mine in the local Costco but don't see it one their website.
    http://instantoys.com/meade-28piece-...191-p-193.html

They have a better one for $250 but it does not look too EMP friendly and needs power to function.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...ngbacteria.pdf

More oil immersion info
    http://www.suite101.com/content/view...mersion-a62401

Google what each virus and bacteria looks like, print and keep it handy in the event you need it for reference. Can you say tribe Doctor LOL

Just some possibilities on the cheap... I'll let you know when I have more time IF it works as well as I think it could.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I shoulda sent you a swab of my thumb, but you might not want to play with flesh eating bacteria "around the house"...

WOW! Do you have that? I would love to see what it looks like but I think we would both end up on a list somewhere!

Banned

your_comforting_company: OMG! is your thumb still messed up? Are your hitch hiking days over? IF it is still messed up my goto liquid of choice is Colloidal silver. Silvadene cream is the about same stuff in an ointment form, it's used in burn units to prevent infections and to lessen scars from burns. Good to keep both on hand for those cut, bleeding or infected moments...

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Except where the infection killed flesh, I'm all better now.. Will take pics today as my "week after update". You can tell it did some damage, to be sure.

My youngest son has a microscope, but I don't think I'd be wanting to culture any bacteria or viruses in the field. I do think it would be a good idea, but really, if you are in the "wilderness" and fall ill, are you really any better off knowing you have staph, or flu? Unless you have meds with you, you'll still be screwed.
    I do think the idea could be practical, but a layman, like myself would probably mess it all up and end up killing myself with the wrong meds.. or start a new pandemic.

Just curious. Even if you identify something under a microscope what will you do? Bacteria is going to show up on any culture. You won't be looking at just one but several. In order to determine which is causing a problem you'll have to culture it and you can't do that in the field.

I'm just trying to understand the point of the exercise.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey Rick

I could be missing something as I have not tried this but I was thinking if you can maintain about body temp and have the supplies (easy) it would be possible to figure out what foe has infiltrated... If the materials and temp is not maintainable(winter) for culture then maybe a postmortem exam of the human petri-dishes could render some slide worthy samples?

Knowing if the infection is a virus, bacterium or fungus can tell a person about preventing contamination and or spreading even if treatment were not possible.

bacterial identification is *NOT* simple.

further, that first microscope posted is a toy. it is sold in the toy section for a reason.

if you want a good budget scope: http://store.amscope.com/b100a.html is a pretty good bet. i've owned an AmScope for years and it's great.

btw: viewing anything over about 800x without a spring oil objective and immersion oil is next to pointless. attempting to view inter-cellular structures without stains is outright pointless. even at 1200x some bacteria are hardly visible at all.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Canid is the guru here so I'll defer to him to keep me straight.

First, a single culture is of no value. You have to take two or three sets in order to substantiate any results. You also have to be concerned with both cross contamination of foreign bodies as well as infection control so no one else can be contaminated and you don't contaminate any other equipment. Not a simple task.

And, as Canid pointed out, just looking at a sample under the microscope isn't going to identify the culprit without stains to highlight them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i'm certainly not a guru, but i do love microbiology.

even the stains are only helpful for making basic determinations at a time [notably the well known gram's stain].

reliable identification often requires highly specialized procedures such as PCR to amplify genetic material for comparison against known organisms.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i'm certainly not a guru, but i do love microbiology.

even the stains are only helpful for making basic determinations at a time [notably the well known gram's stain].

reliable identification often requires highly specialized procedures such as PCR to amplify genetic material for comparison against known organisms.
    The blue dress?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Guys,
    From your posts I would have to figure you never clicked on my "More oil immersion info" link as it reads similar to your responses. Yes it is a toy! You will notice in my first post I stated the it is a *toy*... No I have not tried it with the *toy*... and Yes there is more to it some of which is shown in link. Nice Amscope link, I have been fortunate to use higher end microscopes that where hospital or university property to do such *NOT* simple tasks including spring oil objective, immersion oil, targeted culture mediums and assortment of dyes. I will hesitate with future posts until they are beat down proof and help you guys beat down member posts with what I'm a "GURU" at until we stop the flow of ideas.

Thanks!

Ah, you took it wrong. No one is beating you down. It's called discussion. You put out your ideas and I put out mine. If they conflict that's okay. People have differing views. It doesn't mean you're right or wrong and the same with me. It's just differing ideas. I'd hope we can debate things in an objective fashion. As I said earlier, I'm just trying to understand the point of the exercise.

Banned

I read that it was a toy he was referring to in the first post, I think its an Interesting idea, albeit over my head,,,, LOL

I think it's an intersting experiment Glockster, however flawed the gurus have proclaimed it to be.

In reality though, do doctor's perform cultures everytime you get an infection or sore thoat? Not typically they don't! They just give you an antibiotic and send you on your way, usually without proper instruction on it's usage. So, the whole point about needing 3 cultures and blah blah blah is kind of a moot point at best.

Antibiotics can be found in the wild. they can also be procured without high tech equipment. No, I don't know the exact process to procure them and I don't know the raw materials that can be utilized without procurement, or the correct dosage, yada yada yada.

Quote Originally Posted by RWC
    usually without proper instruction on it's usage.
    You could always read the label on the prescription bottle...just sayin'.

The label doesn't tell you to eat yogurt, or to space the doses out evenly, it does tell you how many to take and to finish them all. It doesn't tell you that you will likely gain weight as a result of taking the antibiotics. It doesn't tell you that your immune system will be negatively affected and that you will be more prone to infection in the future either. Just sayin'! LOL!

But, for the most part, unless cultures are run, the administration of anti-biotics is just geusswork that is done by certified professionals. I can do guesswork myself.

Banned

No Need to really guess either,, "Web MD" is pretty damn accurate, I have diagnosed problems my mother was having on Web MD, and sure enough, after a visit to her Doctor and Blood tests,, Lo and behold,,,, Same Diagnosis,,

I have to agree with your assessment, RWC. They most often do give it their best guess. The only difference between their guess and mine is they see those symptoms a dozen times a week and know what the most likely culprit is based on what is currently making the rounds. They only way I'd know that is by hearsay.