Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fire starting kit

Default My fire starting kit

I finally got around and actually took a picture of my fire starting kit. Some might find it overkill/heavy, and some might find it quaint. I find it perfect for my needs.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It consists with 3 methods of ignition; matches, lighter and fero rod, and three artificial tinders; lint, P-jelly, and wet-fire. I might change the lint to cotton balls after having some lint not catch fire. Every thing is contained in an NBC decon container that I bought at a surplus store fore $2. The matches are also in a waterproof match case. The petroleum jelly is in the carmex container. I found it doesn't leak when the temp is warm and the p-jelly is less viscous. You can see that my fero rod is almost wore out. This is what happens when you teach boy scouts how to use it. When I replace it, I will probably put two rods in the kit; one with a handle and striker, and one without (for space). That way I will have one to practice with and replace frequently, and one to always have "full".

The philosophy of use is that first the fero rod is used. If I can't start with the fero and the lint and p-jelly, then I use the lighter. If that fails, I use the matches. I should only use the matches and wet-fire if my life depended on it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Looks like a good fire kit , I like the carmex jar for the pj I will have to incorporate that into my kits.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Wow, that Decon container brings back a lot of memories. I'll start looking for one. Thanks.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Banned

Looks good !

FM, I like it! Like redundant methods!
    I don't like using lint as seems that with some fibers, they just tend to melt, so it's cotton balls for me.

I carry Carmex, as well, find that it burns pretty good as is, PJ does work better, and Carmex can be used on your lips, both ends, but I would suppose that PJ would work as well.

I have only one comment with your kit, I don't like keeping all my eggs in one basket, as it were.

I tend to spread out redundant resources in various bags, kits, pockets, everywhere I can think of........just wouldn't want to be in the position where I had the horror of needing something and I don't happen to have it with me.
    But that is just me...........Nice job!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Wow, that Decon container brings back a lot of memories. I'll start looking for one. Thanks.
    When I first thought about the decon container, I tried to remember where I put mine. Then I saw it at a surplus store for cheap, so bought it. A few weeks later I found my original container from Uncle Sam. It still had the practice wipes inside. I have bought a few more cases to give away to scouts as a prize.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63
    I don't like keeping all my eggs in one basket, as it were.
    I agree with you. This isn't everything I carry for starting a fire, but it does represent all my methods. It is good to spread things out. It is also good to have something you can grab. The idea is that if I were crossing a stream or doing something were I might loose my pack, I could take it out and attach it to my body for the duration of the risky part. My knife would be another item to do this with as well.

Wise man, I totally agree, I assumed that was the case, just a comment discussing my past mistakes.
    Nice kit.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Did you realize you have a second ferro rod on the base of the match safe?

Another handy trick is to put PJ covered cotton balls inside a soda straw and fold the ends over and tape them. You can drop a short section into the match safe. I also drop an exacto knife blade in the match safe to use as a striker and emergency blade.

I would also consider replacing the lint with steel wool. You can use a battery from your flashlight to short sparks into the Steel wool, as well as using your spark rod on it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nice kit. I don't like dryer lint at all. I like PJ cotton balls. I have them in straws, tin foil as I think Mac and Crash showed, and in a Airborne tube.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have only one comment with your kit, I don't like keeping all my eggs in one basket, as it were.
    Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Although, it would pack nicely and it gives all kinds of methods depending on the situation you might find yourself in. Nice setup!

I was taught to keep the important gear on your person. Fire is high priority for me so a lighter rides in my right front pocket whenever I leave the house. Other gear for fire is in the various packs and hunting vests and in the glove box.

It's a great kit! Its good that you included the ignition strips for the matches. I know someone who brought matches (inside a waterproof container) on a camping trip without any method of igniting them.

Well, I have to tell you I was intrigued with your fire kit. Specifically the decon container. I picked up a couple at Spruce Mountain Surplus for 2.50 each.

http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/AmmoStorage.html

Go down to line 17.

I ordered the combo but he was out of the large container so he sent me two of the small ones. I stuck in a 35mm film camera with PJ cotton balls, a BIC lighter, a magnesium fire starter and an orange match safe like you have. I still have a bit of room to add some tinder or char cloth or something like that. The lid seals pretty darn tight and it's a pretty heavy duty box.

I had been carrying my fire starting stuff in a zip lock bag so this is a lot better. I packed the kit along with an Esbit stove in a cheap Alice pouch that hangs on my pack.

I really appreciate you posting on your kit. The decon container is the bee knees for small kits like the firestarter. Thanks!!!

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks good Rick. I think you did a better packing job than I did. That film canister is big. I have been trying to think of other kits to put together with the decon container. They are really robust, waterproof and cheap. I am putting another fire kit together to offer as a prize for a fire starting contest I am doing on the 20th this month. Hopefully I will have a bunch of new scouts that show up.

I think they would make a great personal first aid kit, a hunting/fishing kit to store snare wire and fishing gear, a handy drinking cup, personal hygiene pack, ammo storage, spare parts for whatever weapon you carry, whatever your imagination can conjure up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    exactly what I thought as well! Think I have one somewhere too.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

I use a GI necklace, with Campmor's matchcase ( which is also a whistle and compass)and magnesium bar on the necklace. Vasolined cottonballs in the case. Gets a fine fire going really fast, even with totally soaked wood. Normally, tho, I use one of the butane lighters to ignite one wick of the can-candle, and use the candle to ignite the fuzz-sticks. Sometimes, I'll use the magnifying glass to ignite the candle, too.

I love it! I actually just went out and bought one. I paid $5 for mine though. (I think because it's Vegas everything is double.) Love the idea of it being a firestarter kit. I have some airborne tubes that I have packed with wet tinder and the little orange strikers. I definitely need to get some good matches for each of my kits. The only matches I have never had luck with are the ones you have in your picture f M. I could never get one to light. Sorry I'm rambling on, just excited to have another container. My wife thinks I am a hoarder when it comes to containers and I think she's right. Whew ....there I said it.

Rckcrwler - Just get some strike anywhere matches and soak them in paraffin. That's all I did with mine. You can use a double boiler or the microwave to melt the paraffin. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull them out and drop them on some aluminum foil to dry, which is about 2 seconds. When you go to use them just knock the wax off the head and strike. I've found that any type of file, like on a multi-tool, works really well but the container has a striker on the bottom.

awesome fire kit. It makes me realize I need to work on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Rckcrwler - Just get some strike anywhere matches and soak them in paraffin. That's all I did with mine. You can use a double boiler or the microwave to melt the paraffin. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull them out and drop them on some aluminum foil to dry, which is about 2 seconds. When you go to use them just knock the wax off the head and strike. I've found that any type of file, like on a multi-tool, works really well but the container has a striker on the bottom.

Sounds good, Thanks. I'll give it a try. The new strike anywhere matches definitely don't compare to the ole' Ohio Blue Tips!