Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building an Arctic "Survival Pack" for day hikes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING?
    Yes, the survival pack needs to be lighter, I need to be in "GOOOODER" physical shape. And hiking 3 to 5 miles on the Hope Road is not comparable to a fairly hard hump on a trail. Also I think we should do a Meet & Greet at Gull Rock, invite sjj & Doug 1980 and your friend. I want to over night at Gull Rock next week-end.

I got your PM and responded. Lets see how our work schedules line up. I posted it on my page and we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 10-24-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Eagles have always been a good sign of fish present and as a fisherman I take it as a sign of good things to come. The day was off to a good start!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I easily made over 100 water crossings like these.

And even crossed the Knik river half a dozen times!

And yes it was 20 degrees and I was sopping wet. These are glacier fed rivers and very cold too! The goal of this trip was Colony Glacier 35 miles away. This is the view of Knik glacier as I rounded wolf point about 15 miles away. I have to get past the Kink river gorge where the glacier meets the mountain and then lake George before I get to Colony glacier. The wind was hitting me in face from this point on.

At this point I’m still ten miles away.

This was as close as I got. I rode my old 4 wheeler to the glacier and know it is exactly 27.5 miles so I figure I had hiked 25 miles at this point. This is where I had to make the decision to turn back. I was encountering liquefied sand on my water crossings, very dangerous solo.

There was also a storm brewing on top of Kink Glacier. The Gorge was just around the next bend too. It was a hard decision but a good one. I wanted to do most of my water crossings before dark and something I did not know at the time is my right knee would go out on me 5 miles down the trail.

There was plenty of bear sign and I did have to take a different route because I was smelling a dead carcass but did not see any until after dark when one paralleled my coarse for about half a mile.

My camera does not do well at night but off in the distance you can see I made it back about fifteen miles from the glacier. Ten of it with a limp.

I was still able to make the small water crossings but the larger ones where getting hairy in the dark. At this point I came to 2 islands in the wash with trees and could shelter so I climbed them to set camp for the night. I was close enough for my radio to reach home so I called my wife and told her I was stuck on the river for the night. While I was doing that I saw a car drive down the Knik river road and I was a lot closer to the road than I thought (½ a mile). The river was between us at this point so she brought my kayak. My spot light lead her right to me in the darkness. So cool to be sleeping in a warm bed tonight. That reminds me, I said I would show SD my kit when I pulled it out on the trail.

I set up camp fast! Pop the umbrella open and wedge it in some driftwood for a wind break. throw my gear off, start the coffee, pull up a log and put my gloves on it for a soft place to sit. Coffee was ready in less than five minutes. Stove also warms area behind umbrella.

Volcano stove has been stripped down to just stove and cup. I did not use bottle because I could not find cork for it and that meant I had no use for the rack that holds it either. BTW SD the Drop zone has then for 25 dollars with the cork. Great for winter kit!

Then I carry a couple of Mountain house meals that I can just pour water from stove in to bag and it’s ready in a couple minutes. Coffee, sugar and cream with a shot of brandy warms me up. Swiss Army knife, titanium spork and lets not forget good oral hygiene. Oh and toilet paper. In plastic bags to keep it dry. Toilet paper works when I need a little extra to start a fire. I always wonder why I see Vaseline cotton balls and other stuff to start fires in peoples kits and don’t see toilet paper?

On the straps of web gear I carry radio on one and compass, pace beads and monocular on other. The Monocular has enough slack in attachment to swing to my eye without removing and radio can just press button to use.

Things I did not get around to showing on the trail. In black pouches are Army poncho and hammock for setting up camp, Spotlight, Paracord, Saw, Hat and gloves to make my gear warmer if needed and a stuff sack that I use when I remove clothing and strap it to back.

You’ve seen my knife and gun before. This is all I need and even in a river wash like this I can find good places to pitch tarp. This piece of drift wood and a few rocks would had supplied me with firewood and supported poncho.

I have more elaborate kits but none weigh over 20 pounds and at that level I can stay out indefinitely.
    Nice pics. Thanks!

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK, I have decided (However Painful) to admit that I went in the wrong direction. And declare the first two packs a failure on both ends of the scale.

The NEW Plan: Build a light weight pack in the 10 to 15 pound range, for day hikes on snowshoes. This pack will be short on everything, and have my lightest weight sleeping bag, bevy sack, but include my max Eddie Bauer Expedition Down Parka and a large chunk of vis-queen.

The second pack will, be more for if I am over run, and attacked by the proverbial "Golden Hoard" or crazed motorcycle gang on snow machines. This pack will be 50'ish pounds, and will resemble a arctic winter back packing set-up for a week long outing/camping trip. This pack will also work on the snow machine as I have a huge SWT.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-13-2010 at 01:52 PM.

SD, most people have some kind of preconcieved notion of how to approach thier outdoor activities. Whether it be leave no trace eco types, primitive survivalists or military trained survival types they are locked into thier singular mindset. I am an all of the above kind of guy with the added Alaskan experience of throwing out all the rules and just getting the job done. I have a couple other kits and thoughts for you. First most of what we bring is for comfort or convenience. All that I really is a knife, poncho, gun and a cup/canteen. The rest is a kiss. Knive and guns have been talked to death and I think most would agree about the Army poncho so I will just briefly touch on the last item. I prefer some kind of stainless steel cup for forageing, boiling water and cooking. Its all you really need and a couple I like are the Jumbo sized Sierra cup and Colemans stainless steel cup. If you want to carry more realize it is for either comfort or conveniece.

My basic kit weighs in at 6 pounds and I don't even bother with light weight gear at this level. It is packed in a Brittish web gear pouch. It hangs on my gun belt and heavy elastic suspenders is all that is needed to carry it.

This may set some people off but in this kit I use the same British Crusader Canteen/Stove/Cup Bear Gryles uses. I also have some utensild I drilled a hole in and use S-biner to hold them together.

All my kits are 4 season kits but when weather gets severe and I have to get the job done I use this British Web gear. I carry heavy durable items but I carry less of them. This kit weighs in at 9 pounds.

This is where I go Alaskan and don't screw around. No rubbing sticks together or trying to start a fire with one match like a Boy Scout. I bring a propane torch to start fies and a small folding stove so for cooking I don't even have to build a fire. I also have a single burner lantern to walk through the night. In an emergency like falling through the ice is no time to be stuck with preconcieved notions or some kind of higher morality. If used just when needed will last a long time too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Guess the one big thing we see differently on is the need for a sleeping bag. And I know my feelings on that issue will not change. Maybe because I have spent much of my life freezing to death, have frost'bitten fingers and toes, and they can not take much cold without sever pain.

I do want to publicly thank you for changing my feeling toward camouflage everything, I am fully enrolled. And today I am painting a snow and brush camo on one pack, and I bought a knee length winter camo cotton smock when last in town.

I do respect you opinions on this subject, My needs for my survival are slightly different based mostly on age, and having no plan "B" if I get hurt, (No phone, and no one knows I am not in the cabin warm and happy).

But we don't see things differently. I just look at things from "ALL" angles. I have done exactly what you are talking about. In my "bug out forever" kit I carry a sleeping pad, bivy and light bag. This sleeping system weighs 6 pounds and brings the total weight of kit up to 25 pounds. It is heavy with tools to build a cabin and new life with and the bag is just so I am not fooling around "surviving" while I'm trying to do it. It's strapped on the bottom of pack in black stuff sack.

I have another pack I use that is more travel oriented and weighs in at 18 pounds. I have names for my gear and call this my "REI Comando Kit". It uses a lot of ultralight back packing gear and brings most of the comforts with me and just need to pitch camp.

I do some strange things like naming my kits, guns etc, but another thing you may find strange is I always include atleast one of my "charmed" items in each kit, hence the old canteen hanging on the side of the last pack.

I also have modular kits that strap to each of these for specialized purposes. Should I get into that to. It will show I look at this from "ALL" angles.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 11-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I do want to publicly thank you for changing my feeling toward camouflage everything, I am fully enrolled. And today I am painting a snow and brush camo on one pack, and I bought a knee length winter camo cotton smock when last in town.
    It has become a critical part of my plan. Despite the rumors of my aledged toughness my plan is to be hiding in the woods and let the tough guys (or feeble minded) do all the "running and gunning".

Blog Entries

I make my living ATVing to the Knik glacier. I have been into The George valley many times. I even tried to hike from just down stream of the Knik glacier into lake George only once.
    Last edited by klkak; 12-15-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have super respect for both Kevin & Alaska Survivalist.........so please don't turn this into a peeing contest. I really respect and value both of you. What we learn from each other is what is important.

Sorry SD. I had no idea but just deleted post anyway.

Around here, we'd never think to camp in a river wash just because it might turn into a river over night. That would obviously depend on the weather and the length of the river. Since a good many of those in AK are fed by glacial and snow melt, is a wash safer to camp in up there? Or is that just a winter time thing?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I have super respect for both Kevin & Alaska Survivalist.........so please don't turn this into a peeing contest. I really respect and value both of you. What we learn from each other is what is important.

Sorry SD. I had no idea but just deleted post anyway.
    Um, what did I miss?
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I want to make or buy a stove like this one (Volcano Stove) Alaskan Survivalist posted. It needs to be less than 4 1/4" outside Diamiter, and the inside needs to be atleast 3 7/8" any ideas what to make one out of..........?
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-15-2010 at 01:45 AM.

I want to make or buy a stove like this one (Volcano Stove) Alaskan Survivalist posted. It needs to be less than 4 1/4" outside Diamiter, and the inside needs to be atleast 3 7/8" any ideas what to make one out of..........?
    I've got the Swiss Army Volcano Stove. They are made from aluminimum. I picked mine up from these guys (looks like they're out of them for now, but other vendors probably have them) http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-1.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Brand new for $9.00. I don't know what shipping will set you back.

http://www.supplydump.com/swiss-army-volcano-stove

You might also call the Drop Zone, Ammo Can and G.I. Joe's in Anchorage, see if they have them and what the price is. The next time you are in the big city you can pick one up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's pretty close to what I paid ($10).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I paid 25 bucks at the Drop Zone and still consider it a deal. I have added a little to my kit also. The small butane canisters fit in side the cup.

Exponent Ultra F-1 stove, Titanium spork and lighter all carried under cup.

I practice tactical movement and I can have meals fast and lightweight helps when traveling far and fast. The Butane stove will run out of fuel but the stove itself weighs about an ounce so worth carrying until I come across more fuel and provides the best of both worlds.

PS I did some modifications also. The sprork was shortened saving weight and I added green string for camo to bag and I added the plastic speed ties to the string. I use the ties on all my winter kit including boots because easier to deal with either wearing gloves or using frozen fingers and are faster to deal with.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-02-2011 at 03:03 AM.

What first aid / safety gear do you keep in your packs that are specifically in response to trauma or issues related to the cold that you wouldnt carry if it were warmer out?
    You can be prepared or be lucky and I'm not a lucky person.

I don't carry first aid kit. I just leave it alone and it heals all by itself.