Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building an Arctic "Survival Pack" for day hikes.

Banned

AS,,, Very Impressive,, More rep sent, Thanks !

(Love that stove btw)

WE, I started doing this stuff long before we had any kind of SAR in Alaska so I learned to stress good judgement regarding safety as first line of defence and self rescue as the most immediate help you'll get. I don't always know when I am coming back but do try to stick to a coarse but that often changes too. I will leave word but this is last line of defence. I wonder how many people do stupid things thinking they will be rescued. I used to prefer bright and highly visible items mainly because it is easy to loose stuff when it blends with the back ground. Our biggest difference is I expect total collapse any day and will not want to be seen or rescued. Some stuff is not available in camo but I keep a can of OD green paint on hand. If a person believes all is well in the world and can count on someone always being there to help them then you would be correct, just something I don't subscribe to.

Thanks Justin, but you would not be so impressed if you saw how I am moving this morning.

Banned
    Blog Entries

AS, have you ever read "Alaska's Wolfman" about Frank Grasser.....? I was thinking today about Filson "Whipcard" Pants, and even though they are a massive amount of money, I am thinking of ordering a pair, as they will last me the rest of my life. What got me thinking about it is your water crossings.

Grasser would walk two/three hundred miles and he always talks about his whipcords and how they were still warm when wet, and that the water would drain out of them. Filson gets $198.00 for one pair, but I see Carbella's has them. I would Love to own the whole suit.

AS thank you for sharing. That was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    AS, have you ever read "Alaska's Wolfman" about Frank Grasser.....? I was thinking today about Filson "Whipcard" Pants, and even though they are a massive amount of money, I am thinking of ordering a pair, as they will last me the rest of my life. What got me thinking about it is your water crossings.

Grasser would walk two/three hundred miles and he always talks about his whipcords and how they were still warm when wet, and that the water would drain out of them. Filson gets $198.00 for one pair, but I see Carbella's has them. I would Love to own the whole suit.
    I cut the legs out of neoprene chest waiders that I use like socks. They saturate in time but will retain warmth like a wet suit and dry out quickly. I also use canvas over rubber soled boots that dry quickly also. It was a natural evolution from hiking in hip boots Alaskan style.

Sorry I don't read much. I'll wait for the movie.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 10-22-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Sorry I don't read much. I'll wait for the movie.
    He got off the boat in Valdez and walked to Fairbanks, then walked to McCarthy and worked a summer in the Copper mine. Walked to Savage River, near Healey, then walked over to Big Delta. All cross country. boring movie. He was hired to follow the 40 Mile Caribou herd for over 400 miles.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-22-2010 at 06:08 PM.

I know people like this. A guy we call "Old Man Don" is not the smartest guy in the world but that serves him well in his endeavors. He worked on the rail road for decades walking the line driving spikes and his co-workers told me it is a mindless job and Don was perfect for it, but he has kayaked to full lenght of the Yukon river and hikes long cross country trips. He has hiked the ridge above the gorge I was trying to get to. He is 80 something and when he starts cutting wood it's 6 oclock in the morning and he's still going at 10 oclock at night. He recently went on a climb in South America and got tired of waiting for his guide. I think he was always a bit strange because he recieved electic shock treaments in the Army. I don't think they helped at all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, I a grip of stark'raving Terror I took everything out of the Day Hike pack, to examine the contents. The reason is that I use stuff-sacks, I put a heavy trash-bag inside the stuff-sack and jam the sleeping bag in, then fold over the plastic bag, and close the stuff-sack, then put the stuff-sack in a clear plastic bag. here was my panic, the stuff-sacks are over 40 years old, and are labeled with the contents (Example: 2# sleeping bag) or (Eddie Bauer Max Parka). But some times when breaking camp, with the pilot waiting, and the meter running, things go into the wrong sack.

So I started worrying that the Sack that says 5# peak-1 bag, might in-fact really be 5# of dirty underwear. So I disassembled everything, confirmed the contents, delete some things, and got the External Frame pack down to 25 pounds, including two light weight sleeping bags.

Later in the winter I'll add an old pair of down booties & more vis-queen.

One item I add when it gets cold is some rechargable hand warmers. Instant heat in an emergency can save your butt. Mine can be boiled in water to recharge and there is a piece of tin in them that will activate them. Tyvek is good for tarps also. I have some grippers that will give a good place to tie tarp. Stuff like that I keep in my pack and beyond what I call hiking gear. I call that back packing. If this is what you have in mind I will show you mine the next time I take it out. I'm contemplating a trip to do some winter fishing from shore and camping on the beach at night. I'll post invites on my page when I finalize plans if you get your stove thing worked out by then. Who knows we may even find an outhouse door washed up on the beach.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have 6 of those instant hand warmers in the kit. YES, this is very close to a Back Pack set-up, there is no stove, little first aid stuff, and very little food. My purpose for this pack is strictly if I got hurt, broke a leg, had a stroke, whatever. For me know one knows I am even gone or where I am, no one would ever look for me. Ever. So I am totally dependent on me. I have no cell phone, no radio, no flare gun. Also remember I am 64, fat, ugly, and not the brightest pumpkin in the patch. That said, I am cleared for departure, for a 12/13 mile day hike with the pack, I'll be taking the "NEW" just built trail out to "Gull Rock". Estimating 1:PM departure from trail head, with a 3.3 hour round trip time........Tally-Ho (That is pilot talk for good-bye---Tally-Ho).
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-23-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Now what kind of Alaskan would I be if I didn't know how to fly? Good try! This stuff is getting hard to fake from Detroit but you'll have to do better than that!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 10-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Are you leaving today? Looks like a nice day for it, have fun.

I have 6 of those instant hand warmers in the kit. YES, this is very close to a Back Pack set-up, there is no stove, little first aid stuff, and very little food. My purpose for this pack is strictly if I got hurt, broke a leg, had a stroke, whatever. For me know one knows I am even gone or where I am, no one would ever look for me. Ever. So I am totally dependent on me. I have no cell phone, no radio, no flare gun. Also remember I am 64, fat, ugly, and not the brightest pumpkin in the patch. That said, I am cleared for departure, for a 12/13 mile day hike with the pack, I'll be taking the "NEW" just built trail out to "Gull Rock". Estimating 1:PM departure from trail head, with a 3.3 hour round trip time........Tally-Ho (That is pilot talk for good-bye---Tally-Ho).
    Kinda reminds me of this:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well I am back Alive, Wow did I miscalculate the time and distance. It is closer to 14 miles on the new trail. And I was 2 hours & 25 Minutes out bound. And 4 hours and 20 minutes R/T for 3.18 miles per hour. I am not happy about that speed. Plus I am used up, and will hurt tomorrow.

Well I am back Alive, Wow did I miscalculate the time and distance. It is closer to 14 miles on the new trail. And I was 2 hours & 25 Minutes out bound. And 4 hours and 20 minutes R/T for 3.18 miles per hour. I am not happy about that speed. Plus I am used up, and will hurt tomorrow.
    Slow and steady wins the race, right? Point is you made it there and back unharmed. That's a good trip in my opinion. "Boots In The Field" I hope I have half the energy and drive that you do when I'm your age.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

two thumbs up! any pictures? Take some Ibuprofen post them in the morning if you have some.

Banned

Well done SD ! well done .

3 MPH is my speed. You can almost set your watch by it and I am faster than 80 percent of the people I go out with. Long legged athletic women are tough to beat!

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING?
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 10-23-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    3 MPH is my speed. You can almost set your watch by it and I am faster than 80 percent of the people I go out with. Long legged athletic women are tough to beat!

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING?
    So I've been told.