Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building an Arctic "Survival Pack" for day hikes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Building an Arctic "Survival Pack" for day hikes.

In the summer I had three packs all set-up depending on the probability of having to overnight in the event of an accident. Low-High or moderate.

But for winter there is really only one option, and that is plan for High risk. In the summer one might crawl out if they broke a leg, but your not going to crawl out through five feet of snow.

Almost everything I do is solo hiking or snowshoeing. Having almost enough sleeping bag @ -16F below zero would get me just as dead as having NO sleeping bag. So I have cut some large sheets of 6 mill vis-queen to replace the bulk of a tent, plus trying to set-up a tent on snow if injured would be hard. So I plan to keep it simple, vis-queen, two light weight sleeping bags, plus what ever I can add up to about 35 pounds.

I prefer external frame packs, but this kit will also double as a survival kit for the snow machine, and it demands no external frame which would snag on tree limbs & Alders.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-20-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Do you carry any kind of phone (sat or cell), radio or PLB? Even having all that gear with a broken leg needs some kind of rescue response.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Do you carry any kind of phone (sat or cell), radio or PLB? Even having all that gear with a broken leg needs some kind of rescue response.
    No.....mostly because of the cost. But they don't work very well here because of the high mountains. And no one knows I am gone or where I have gone, even I don't know where I am going when I leave. I should either get a S.P.O.T. locator or a small mobile aircraft radio.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, as all the gear needed to be someplace, I decided to build two, one very large day pack which ended up 34# and the external frame pack ended up 32#. I put the new temporary/interim survival gun on the day pack, and it is the same (27" OAL) as the pack, so it should work good. It is a 20 Ga. with 18 1/4" barrel & 27" Overall.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-20-2010 at 04:01 PM.

I am wondering why build this kit now? You have spent many years out there not really having a pack like this, so why now? Thought it would be interesting to learn your thought process. Sounds like a great kit to me and very wise to carry it.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    I am wondering why build this kit now? You have spent many years out there not really having a pack like this, so why now? Thought it would be interesting to learn your thought process. Sounds like a great kit to me and very wise to carry it.
    Doug, I don't have a good answer for you, I think part of it is getting old and realizing that I am no longer nine feet tall and bullet-proof. And another factor is this Forum. I have been very lucky as far as accidents. I guess I feel that as long as I have made it to 64 I might as well take some precautions to enhance my chance of making 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Doug, I don't have a good answer for you, I think part of it is getting old and realizing that I am no longer nine feet tall and bullet-proof. And another factor is this Forum. I have been very lucky as far as accidents. I guess I feel that as long as I have made it to 64 I might as well take some precautions to enhance my chance of making 70.
    Funny you should mention that.
    Seems that I have been packing more and more over the years, partly because I can afford it now, and partly because I enjoy being more comfortable, I guess.

I can remember duck hunting, with my Ked sneakers, (cause you could wash them) jeans, jacket, and a old 12ga SS.(2 shell rule)

We (yeah, there were several other crazy kids besides me) would take off our socks and put them in our pockets, so as to have something dry to wear on the walk/bike home.

Now I have just about any boot combination you can ask for, and still, get cold, LOL.

Deer hunting same thing but with hand me down black and red wool coat, winter shoes/boots (one new pair of school boots per year), and over shoes.
    Same SS 12ga, same 2 shell rule.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with, as I swear it gets colder and colder every year, even here in Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

See and I thought it was with age comes wisdom or something like that. Having walked your property I can see a real need for this kit and I'm glad you put it together. Now the question is, will you carry it with you?
    Last edited by doug1980; 10-20-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Have you thought about a sled? When I ran my trap line in Idaho, I had a 4' plastic sled that I drilled tie downs holes into the top rim. I could easily carry 100# of gear.

You could take a lot more with you and you could use the sled to help get yourself out.

I use the same kit all year. It contunues to evolve and using web gear and MK-3 knife are the newest changes. I'm heading out early tomorrow and will take some pictures of gear when I pull it out on the trail. Not sure when I'll be back, this trip is about reaching an objective not keeping a schedule.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-02-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post

Now the question is, will you carry it with you?

Well, Alaskan Survivalist is going to do a death march with only Web Gear, So I thought I'll do that. But I have chickened out, so yes I am going to hump one of the 35'ish Pound packs out to Gull Rock and back. It is only a bit over 12 miles, but I'll have the peace of mind, knowing I could camp anyplace and be warm. I was planning to do the 12 plus miles in 3.2 hours, but now I'll figure on 4.0 hours R/T.

Well, Alaskan Survivalist is going to do a death march with only Web Gear, So I thought I'll do that. But I have chickened out, so yes I am going to hump one of the 35'ish Pound packs out to Gull Rock and back. It is only a bit over 12 miles, but I'll have the peace of mind, knowing I could camp anyplace and be warm. I was planning to do the 12 plus miles in 3.2 hours, but now I'll figure on 4.0 hours R/T.
    12 miles in 4 hours is better than I could do I bet. Don't have too much fun with that. I kinda want to do that myself.

My considerations are this.

The first thing that becomes obvious is I don't want to carry a ton of crap.

I also know there are one of two things are needed to sleep in the cold, total comfort or total exhaustion. I know which one I will have in abundance.

Heat and warm meals are just as important on the move. It must be accomplished light and fast.

This is an off trail hike and there will be obstacles. Water crossings and canyon walls. The objective is 35 miles away.

Days are getting shorter and I will have to travel in the dark.

A solo trip of this nature at this time of year is dangerous and no time to use untested gear or unproven methods. I'll stick to what I know and have used before.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-02-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    My considerations are this.

The first thing that becomes obvious is I don't want to carry a ton of crap.

I also know there are one of two things are needed to sleep in the cold, total comfort or total exhaustion. I know which one I will have in abundance.

Heat and warm meals are just as important on the move. It must be accomplished light and fast.

This is an off trail hike and there will be obstacles. Water crossings and canyon walls. The objective is 35 miles away.

Days are getting shorter and I will have to travel in the dark.

A solo trip of this nature at this time of year is dangerous and no time to use untested gear or unproven methods. I'll stick to what I know and have used before.
    Wise counsel, nose to the wind, keep your powder dry.........

AS,

Can you show some pictures of the pack? Maybe with it on?

Also, I have never seen an outdoors man with an umbrella. I wouldn't use one down here because lightning. But, I got to ask why you choose one?

AS, also looks like snow snake remedy?
    Gotta be careful.............

Default This Weeks Drill, 40 miles in 16 hours!

Eagles have always been a good sign of fish present and as a fisherman I take it as a sign of good things to come. The day was off to a good start!

I easily made over 100 water crossings like these.

And even crossed the Knik river half a dozen times!

And yes it was 20 degrees and I was sopping wet. These are glacier fed rivers and very cold too! The goal of this trip was Colony Glacier 35 miles away. This is the view of Knik glacier as I rounded wolf point about 15 miles away. I have to get past the Kink river gorge where the glacier meets the mountain and then lake George before I get to Colony glacier. The wind was hitting me in face from this point on.

At this point I’m still ten miles away.

This was as close as I got. I rode my old 4 wheeler to the glacier and know it is exactly 27.5 miles so I figure I had hiked 25 miles at this point. This is where I had to make the decision to turn back. I was encountering liquefied sand on my water crossings, very dangerous solo.

There was also a storm brewing on top of Kink Glacier. The Gorge was just around the next bend too. It was a hard decision but a good one. I wanted to do most of my water crossings before dark and something I did not know at the time is my right knee would go out on me 5 miles down the trail.

There was plenty of bear sign and I did have to take a different route because I was smelling a dead carcass but did not see any until after dark when one paralleled my coarse for about half a mile.

My camera does not do well at night but off in the distance you can see I made it back about fifteen miles from the glacier. Ten of it with a limp.

I was still able to make the small water crossings but the larger ones where getting hairy in the dark. At this point I came to 2 islands in the wash with trees and could shelter so I climbed them to set camp for the night. I was close enough for my radio to reach home so I called my wife and told her I was stuck on the river for the night. While I was doing that I saw a car drive down the Knik river road and I was a lot closer to the road than I thought (½ a mile). The river was between us at this point so she brought my kayak. My spot light lead her right to me in the darkness. So cool to be sleeping in a warm bed tonight. That reminds me, I said I would show SD my kit when I pulled it out on the trail.

I set up camp fast! Pop the umbrella open and wedge it in some driftwood for a wind break. throw my gear off, start the coffee, pull up a log and put my gloves on it for a soft place to sit. Coffee was ready in less than five minutes. Stove also warms area behind umbrella.

Volcano stove has been stripped down to just stove and cup. I did not use bottle because I could not find cork for it and that meant I had no use for the rack that holds it either. BTW SD the Drop zone has then for 25 dollars with the cork. Great for winter kit!

Then I carry a couple of Mountain house meals that I can just pour water from stove in to bag and it’s ready in a couple minutes. Coffee, sugar and cream with a shot of brandy warms me up. Swiss Army knife, titanium spork and lets not forget good oral hygiene. Oh and toilet paper. In plastic bags to keep it dry. Toilet paper works when I need a little extra to start a fire. I always wonder why I see Vaseline cotton balls and other stuff to start fires in peoples kits and don’t see toilet paper?

On the straps of web gear I carry radio on one and compass, pace beads and monocular on other. The Monocular has enough slack in attachment to swing to my eye without removing and radio can just press button to use.

Things I did not get around to showing on the trail. In black pouches are Army poncho and hammock for setting up camp, Spotlight, Paracord, Saw, Hat and gloves to make my gear warmer if needed and a stuff sack that I use when I remove clothing and strap it to back.

You’ve seen my knife and gun before. This is all I need and even in a river wash like this I can find good places to pitch tarp. This piece of drift wood and a few rocks would had supplied me with firewood and supported poncho.

I have more elaborate kits but none weigh over 20 pounds and at that level I can stay out indefinitely.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-02-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Alaskan Survivalist: Very, Very Impressive. Truly Boots in the field. Good photos. Good essay, thank you.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-22-2010 at 08:33 AM.

SD
    two things, as i get more and more into SAR i have changed over alot of my gear from tactical to ,oh lets say more "practical" i guess, there may be a better word, what i am getting at is allot more of my gear is SAR orange, more visible, ifn i am not hunting(and even then) whats wrong with orange tarps for visibility.
    secondly, as i do the same as far as solo trekking, but i leave a detailed description with my wife, maybe i would suggest to you is call the state patrol dispatch and leave a return time with them or even the local SAR team a time in and out and A/O just if something happens you will at least know rescue is on the way
    ps- i still keep all my tactical gear on the ready, i just have come to appreciate the effectiveness of more visible gear, nothing better than being seen from the air by the chopper.
    Last edited by wareagle69; 10-22-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

AS, well thought out, and great pic's, Thanks!
    I always enjoy others pic's when they take us along.
    Now, about that there snow snake remendy.........?