Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Building an Arctic "Survival Pack" for day hikes.

SD, As you know I use a module system with my kit. That was just my basic hiking kit that will strap to my pack but I have an Arctic clothing kit module that straps to my pack also. It weighs 5 pounds and I can sleep in it so don't have to carry sleeping bag and don't need fires or shelter either.

I use all goose down. Gloves, hooded parker, vest and snow pants. They pack easy too. I just fold and stack them.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Then I use elastic straps with velcro to compress them.

Then put them in a water resistent stuff sack and have cinch straps to fasten them to pack.

It has to be -20 before I even think of pulling this gear out and take no notice of the cold after that.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-29-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    SD, As you know I use a module system with my kit. That was just my basic hiking kit that will strap to my pack but I have an Arctic clothing kit module that straps to my pack also. It weighs 5 pounds and I can sleep in it so don't have to carry sleeping bag and don't need fires or shelter either.

I use all goose down. Gloves, hooded parker, vest and snow pants. They pack easy too. I just fold and stack them.

Then I use elastic straps with velcro to compress them.

Then put them in a water resistent stuff sack and have cinch straps to fasten them to pack.

It has to be -20 before I even think of pulling this gear out and take no notice of the cold after that.
    I think I would be crying like a little girl even in warm clothes with the down clothing over it trying to sleep. I love my down jackets and I've tried 650, 700, an 850 lofts (I personally find 700 the warmest from the brands Ive used, but I know opinions vary widely). My down jackets are plenty warm down to 0 with minimal layering, as long as Im moving around. I couldnt imagine sleeping in -35 with just the gear youve described (actually I couldnt imagine sleeping in -35 period). How do you keep from the down losing its warmth when compressing under your weight when you sleep and where do you go to keep out of the wind? When I lived in Maine I noticed that when it got down to -15, I was extremely cold, but at -25 and it burned like hell to breath. But then again, no one has ever bragged that I was tough guy either lol.
    You can be prepared or be lucky and I'm not a lucky person.

The biting cold begins about -20 and any skin exposed is going to feel it. most of your body can be covered easily except for face. The way to stay comfortable is to hold warm air in the area in front of your face. I use hoods with wire in brim to hold shape and fur on brim of hood helps to hold air close to face. This is why wind chill feels colder, because it removes the thin warmer air aound you. Understanding this wind chill is not much of a factor for me. Warm air from parka is vented in my face and also warm breath heats it. I also have a face mask that vents my breath into a small brim around my eyes. Using this principal makes you more comfortable. Small details make big differences. It's not just having the right gear, it helps to know how to use it.

Compressing insulation does reduce its efficiency, but not completely and I have plenty to spare.

Staying of the ground helps a lot and why I use hammocks when possible.

I like goggles in really cold weather. My eyes tear really bad when the temperatures drop. I suppose it's nature's way of keeping them lubricated so they don't freeze but goggles really help. The problem I have is that my warm breath inside a mask will fog the goggles. If the temps are too cold the fog will freeze on the inside of the goggles forcing you to pull them off. A warm face mask makes a huge difference though.

We're suppose to be down to 5F this week end so I'm trying some of my stuff out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My favorite is the Seirus Innovation wind pro X-treme Hood and works well with goggles.

http://seirus.com/

Great thread. This was how I actually stumbled upon this site, I was researching what winter clothing gear was the best, most durable and comfortable. I seriously know nothing about these things but am in dire need. I tend to buy things and keep them for 10 years and it's time for new. I can't say I have found the answer yet, but learning quite a bit on the way!