Thread: Chinese Tallow tree

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Chinese Tallow tree

I asked about this one in another thread, along with suggestions on using wax myrtle, but not a lot of info out there on actually DOING it, so I ask again, because I noticed the new pods on my grandmothers tallowtree. I know where several wild stands of these are and they are an invasive and noxious tree, with foliage that is poisonous to other PLANTS when it falls in autumn.

So the question stands, has anybody here taken the berries from the tallowtree (Sapium sebiferum) and processed them for wax (same question for myrtles)? Online info is rather vague about the process, and all I can find is that you boil them and skim the oil off the top.
    Last year I tried that, boiling them for about 45 minutes and never got a spoonfull of anything useful. If anyone has information or finds a link, please keep me in mind. It would please me greatly to contribute to the removal of this invasive and toxic species from our countryside.

Not sure if I need a higher heat, or maybe I need to crush them, or something, but I missed some detail in the process that must be necessary to get a product from the seeds.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

You squeeze the berries in a press. The resulting liquid makes a very sweet smelling bio diesel
    I know what hunts you.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What I can find says that first he waxy coating must be removed, (that's the part I want to keep), before crushing the seeds for cooking oil. Everything points to just throwing them in boiling water and waiting for the wax to melt off.. guess I'll just have to give it another try and see if I get any results.