Thread: Snake pit!!!

Default Snake pit!!!

I've been working in a old house out in the county with a snake pit in the basement!!! In a crawlspace in the basement I've found 7 sankes in one week!

Toby and I have been out snake hunting, (for pets) a few times this summer but didn't find squat. So Toby finally got him some snakes!
    Last edited by Ted; 01-03-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Cool at snakes!

Looks like you have a decent habitat set up for the snakes. If you haven't kept snakes before, You should use a full spectrum light source and a heat source ether in a hot rock or heat lamp.

Here is an article about caring for rats snakes. Says it better then I could.

While my kids were growing up we seemed to be the halfway house for wayward reptiles and amphibians. Got a lot of " my mom doesn't want me to have this any more."
    http://animal-world.com/encyclo/rept...s/ratsnake.php
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sorry fellas, I look at them and all I can think of is HOT SAUCE!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A few years ago we took a drive through Death Valley and stayed at the Furnace Creek Inn. As an appetizer they offered rattle snake fritters with hot sauce and it was a pretty awesome bite. And I don't even eat meat.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

No thanks! I went into a crawlspace , trapdoor in a closet and crawled several feet, fixed the wiring problem started back and saw two copperheads between me and the trapdoor. I called for the lady of the house and told her my problem, she grabbed her two kids and ran outside and locked themselves in their car. I stayed for around an hour and her husband came home and did me a real favor. He said he would take care of the snakes and he did, blew them all over with two rounds from his 12ga(didn't tell me first). I crawled out, went to my truck had a slug of my "snakebite medicine" I had picked up on my lunchtime shopping and quit for the day. Did I say I don't care for snakes? Well I don't.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

If you are in the trades long enough you'll run into just about any animal you can think of while under a house. I found myself under a house with about a six foot black snake. That was the color. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what kind it actually was. It was the only time in my life I ever played a drum solo. Unfortunately, it was my head bouncing off each of the floor joists as I made a very hasty retreat. I had more knots on my head the next day than you could count.

The only animal I never encountered was a skunk. Yeah, I'm lucky like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, on the home for wayward reptiles and every other critter. LOL

We had every kind of non-venomous snake you could want. Red rats, yellow rats, black racers, coach whips, rough green, garters, scarlet king, eastern king, blind snake, ring neck, ribbon snakes. We caught snakes for the local pet stores and at some point they started giving us store credit as partial payment and so we bought exotics from them.

So we had burmese pythons, ball pythons, retics, redtail boa, california kingsnake, asian water moniter, savanah monitor, nile monitor, iguans, various anoles, basilisks, bearded dragon, spectacled caiman. I had a couple of emperor scorpions also. A guy down the street had a big Eastern Indigo until the game warden came and made him release it. I was weeding around the fence and a big indigo that had been lying right up against the other side of the fence where I was working started moving. Scared the carp out of me! LOL Always was a good population of indigos in this area considering they are endangered. I have never heard of that species biting anyone. That's the longest snake native to North America.

Some of the reptiles wouldn't eat in captivity. So we either let them go after a couple of days of observing them or we dropped them in another cage as supper for the other reptiles.

Then there was the time we had a flood and we had gators swimming down the road. I grabbed a 3' gator and begged my mom to let me keep it in the tub.

Blog Entries

Ted, First let me say I'm not a snake person and let the ones I know or safe stay. Not sure what you know about the Florida Snake problem with Pythons? A short History in case you don't know or someone reading, two years ago Florida had some true Python hunter experts try and come up with the best number of them. The Hurrican that came across Miami, relocated a number of Snakes into the Everglades. Before the count, the Univesity of Florida did a study, showing on average 80=Plus eggs by each Femail. Now as to the age of the female they can lay eggs starting at 6 to 9-Months for older females. Now the Experts who conducted the count came up with approximately 300,000-Thousand of them 2016. Now on my own, I did a little math and came up with the number as of today May 2019 there would be close to if not more than 750.000 of them. That is not taking into account Ball Pythons and they have NO know predators. They grow anywhere from 10 to 20-plus foot long. It has been said Birds, Deer, wild pigs, and other Florida protected species are leaving Florida may be forever. Your thoughts? I'm no expert and I do not know why someone can't come up with a way to hunt and remove them. The last word I got via the news was they were tracking females to locate males using a tracker.
    Last edited by DogMan635; 05-20-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Yesterday evening we had a mockingbird nest by the back door with four eggs in it. Last night before going to bed I let the dogs out. I looked over and WHOA a snake! I wasn’t sure if it was a copperhead or not. After some investigation we determined it to be a corn snake. This morning the snake and eggs were gone.

That's one reason I built my house on a slab here in Arkansas.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Florida shouldn't worry too much, it'll be underwater soon and all them snakes are gonna swim to Atlanta, Montgomery, and the Caribbean islands (the ones that're left anyway.) Prime that Green Anaconda song will ya'?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Well I just had to look at this thread. I bailed on picking blackberries today when the sticker cover got too thick and my hackles went up over water moccasins. Looks like it's snake boots and brush pants early tomorrow. I'm getting those berries.

The blackberries here are still green, just beginning to get some color.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

@#$!# $@% !@# %@^%. They haven't even bloomed here.

I put on my snake boots and brush pants today and went on a dawn patrol berry pickin' hike. Temp wasn't bad until the hike back to the truck. Max was frisky when we started back for the truck. He is spoiled from the AC. And every year I blow off long sleeves... the first foray. I'll have long sleeves tomorrow. Blackberry cobbler tomorrow. I'm fat as a tick right now from eatin' while I'm pickin' but I had some on vanilla yogurt because I could.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

O.o

It snowed Monday........
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

We've been eating maters for a bit now. By the time you guys get them our season will be done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel