Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: survival with your dog(s)?

  1. #21
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,928
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ....and he's got your chair. You can tell a lot about a dog owner that gives up their chair for their dog.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel


  2. #22
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,502

    Default

    And for the ones that don't you can call them a lot of names.

  3. #23

    Default

    I have a bull terrier and I love it very much. He is my best friend.

  4. #24

    Default

    Stag hounds are the way to go, if it's a true survival dog you need.

    The early settlers of Australia would have died without the hounds they brought with them.

    These great dogs catch rabbits, pigs, deer and many other animals with great ease. They are extremely fast, powerful, and have very hard pads on their feet. When other breeds are crippled by worn pads, or by extreme cold or heat, the stag hound just keeps on going.

    It's a real joy having a dog with such incredible hunting abilities. They kill foxes with ease and half an hours hunting will usually yield 6 or 7 rabbits or hares.
    If a deer is in sight, it hasn't got a chance against a stag hound. It's just a mere formality spearing a deer, after the stag hound grabs it.
    The amount of meat a stag hound can put on the table is beyond belief.

    Just watching the stag hounds at full speed never ceases to amaze and fascinate me, the effortless velocity is only exceeded by the grey hound. Other than that no other dog can keep up with the stag hound.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    Having sight hounds in your arsenal is really handy in a survival situation.
    Last edited by gordy; 03-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

  5. #25

    Default

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    Sight hounds have to be on the list for survival situations.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    810

    Default

    If you plan to have your pup carry a pack you need to train them and let them get used to it. You do not need to fill the back with weights or something right off the bat and put the pack on them and expect them to go and climb a mountain. You need to let them get used to the pack before you start to put some weight in it. Let them wear the pack around for a week or two on some walks or around the house.

    Then in a few weeks start adding weight and see how they carry it. Check for hot spots because they can be problematic very quickly.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    If you plan to have your pup carry a pack you need to train them and let them get used to it. You do not need to fill the back with weights or something right off the bat and put the pack on them and expect them to go and climb a mountain. You need to let them get used to the pack before you start to put some weight in it. Let them wear the pack around for a week or two on some walks or around the house.

    Then in a few weeks start adding weight and see how they carry it. Check for hot spots because they can be problematic very quickly.
    Or, don't put a pack on your dog at all, that's the other option.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordy View Post
    Or, don't put a pack on your dog at all, that's the other option.
    Some dogs love to work and if they get to carry a pack they feel as if they are doing their job. It's your choice to have your dog wear a pack or to not wear a pack. One of my dogs enjoys wearing a pack quite a bit more than the other so he usually has it on, while the other only occasionally.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    Some dogs love to work and if they get to carry a pack they feel as if they are doing their job. It's your choice to have your dog wear a pack or to not wear a pack. One of my dogs enjoys wearing a pack quite a bit more than the other so he usually has it on, while the other only occasionally.
    Or, don't put a pack on your dog at all, that's the other option.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordy View Post
    Or, don't put a pack on your dog at all, that's the other option.
    Yeah I think I said that in the post you quoted as well. It's your choice to have your dog wear the pack or not.

    You do not have to post the same twice, seeing as I was stating what happens to working dogs that have a desire to work and the pack makes them feel as if they are.

  11. #31
    Neo-Numptie DOGMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    cyber space
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordy View Post
    Just watching the stag hounds at full speed never ceases to amaze and fascinate me, the effortless velocity is only exceeded by the grey hound. Other than that no other dog can keep up with the stag hound.
    How longs the race? I guarantee you there is not a stag hound in the world that can keep up with an Alaskan Husky in a 1000 mile race across a winter landscape. The Alaskan Husky is the most incredible endurance athlete in the world bar none.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

    Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    How longs the race? I guarantee you there is not a stag hound in the world that can keep up with an Alaskan Husky in a 1000 mile race across a winter landscape. The Alaskan Husky is the most incredible endurance athlete in the world bar none.
    Huskies are only good in the cold, get them in hot weather and they fall over dead, but staghounds are good in hot and cold climates. Stag hounds also have the hardest feet of any dog, so they are an all terrain animal.

    Stag hounds can move fast through deep snow when huskies are bogged up to their noses.
    Staghounds can hunt down and hold pigs and deer single handedly, but huskies get flipped and rubbed off.

    Sure if I wanted to drag a sled across Alaska, I'd use huskies but the Husky is not a hunting dog, and for survival purposes you need a dog that's an all rounder.

    All terrain, all weather, all hunter.

    Is a husky really going to catch up to and hold a deer, it's not it's skill set is it.

    Staghounds kept the early settlers of America and Australia fed, in the worst of times. Without the staghound many settlers would have died, it is a proven survival dog, because it actually puts food on the table.

    Husky is a good hauling dog (In cold weather), but I don't class it as an all-round survival dog. Least that's the way I see it.

    When I let slip the leash on a deer or boar, I know it's not getting away. And that's the surety that is needed in a survival situation.
    When my stag has the deer by the snout, it's easy to spear the deer in the heart.

    When my stag has boar by the ear, I can grab the hind legs and stab the boar in the heart.

    The dog does all the work effortlessly, and there's a huge amount of food from it.

    Getting a couple of deer and a pig, and a brace of rabbits is not a problem in a mornings hunt, easy.

    There is a good reason the settlers used stag hounds, they were on their own until another ship arrived a year, perhaps two years latter.
    Stag hounds were the dog that the settlers turned to, to feed them in dire survival situations.


    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    The great hound is unstoppable in full flight.
    Last edited by gordy; 03-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •