Thread: trekking in adverse conditions

Default trekking in adverse conditions

as i look at the forecast and look back at this fall it has been cooler and wetter than normal(except the last two weeks-premo) but i still have bush projects to complete or start for that matter.
    I prefer to play in the winter, sunny day or rageing snow storm, ice cold or a warm winters day, to me nothing compares, i ask some nature buffs to come with overnight and always get turned down,
    Now with the cold rain, its miserable and i have to log in the bush, for the fire pile and for bush shelters, if in rain gear, it does not breathe well so you sweat, which is not good, i do have a rain cover for my pack and i keep clean dry clothes to change into, at camp i will keep a fire going in the pit all day long so when i get back i can just stoke it, put on a pot for a warm beverage and get into dry clothes.
    speaking of shelters, i had found allot of my cedars down this yr with the high winds so i bucked them into 12ft sections for future fencing, but right now they are peeled and stacked lean to fashion for a winter shelter, but the bark peelings i used as water proofing for between the logs works great.
    So just curious what others do in adverse weather especailly freezing cold rainy windy days- the worst imo. but the best as they let you appreciate the good days more..
    WE
    Last edited by wareagle69; 10-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I like to get out no matter the weather. I put on appropriate clothing and footwear and go. I usually have the woods and trails to myself. We had 3 big snowstorms (back-to-back-to-back) earlier this year and if I'd had a pair of snowshoes I'd have traveled. After the shovelling got done, that is.

Banned

I really like to hike and camp, But not so much in the snow....

Sunny and warm is my preference just never see it and to wait for it I would never do anything. For the most part I just try to ignore the weather and make the best of it. Even if it is warm here you have to pack like it wasn't because it can change in an instant.

Blog Entries

The worse the conditions, the more I want to be in them.

I just hate going in the woods on a beautiful day, I could be spending that time with the kids or getting something done. When it's nasty, I hit the woods.

You know the old saying, "If you don't like the weather in ___ wait a few minutes." That is very true of South Florida. Its gonna rain and storm on you if you ever want to get into the woods down here. I have different rain gear for different tasks. But, I like Dri Ducks for just hiking in. They are very comfortable against the skin and breathable. If your gonna be on a quad moving at any speed though that whole breathability thing works in reverse and the rain just pushes through the fabric. Never really wear the pants of a rain suit.

I have some good rain gear (Military Gortex) and boots (Danners) that work well around here. Rain is what I have to put up with the most. If I am hunting I use wool for the quiet. I also use the wool in the snow. I can get soaked and still stay warm. I have a set of White's Packs that work well for snow. Just have to walk slower in them (bulky).
    For shelter, if it is to wet I just do day trips. If I had a quad or a mule I might do more cause I could pack the heavier stuff I like to camp with in the rain. Otherwise, it is mainly car camping for me until spring.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Blog Entries

If it's raining, well there is drinking water everywhere, no need to carry extra! If it's cold, at least it's not too hot, same in reverse... Get the drift?

I only hate the cold and rainy stuff... But that's army's fault. Besides it's good to know what to wear and how to operate in all weather conditions.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

only thing I don't like is lightning, high winds and hail. I try to stay in if any of those three are present in quantity.

I don't like walking in deep snow or deep mud either, but usually do to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    only thing I don't like is lightning, high winds and hail.
    Lightning!!! I used to work in the stuff. I got a little educated and now it does make me pucker up. LOL

Still down here if you spend anytime in the woods it is inevitable.

within reason; i love cold and rainy. i could [and do] walk around for days in it and not feel down. i've often suspected i'm part mushroom.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My area has two seasons: Too hot and wet, cold and crappy.

We have three perfect days each year and even though I am retired, I am required to work on all three of them.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

everything that's not too hot and over -20f is heaven. granted; the low end of that spectrum is on the cold side, 40f and raining is perfect for me.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I think we have some crappy weather in the winter. Not real cold but we get a lot of freeze and thaw with some cold rain and snow thrown in the mix. That results in ice being mixed in with ground covers. If you plan on just a debris shelter in the winter the odds are you will have a frozen slurry of leaves and detritus from the forest floor. That's not so bad until you start up a fire or get cozy warm inside (depending on what you build). Then you have a dripping mud mess on your hands. You have to carry some spare plastic with you to use as a base before layering in your debris. Whether it's a lean-to or full hut you want something waterproof first. Once that's down the rest is pretty basic.

I like Gortex and wool so no matter what happens you still stay fairly warm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm thinking about this again and one of the worst parts for me is this time of year. I go out to the tree stand in the morning all bundled up and come back home half naked. The 20-40+ degree changes in temps throughout the day are what do me in. Easy to get a cold too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think we have some crappy weather in the winter. Not real cold but we get a lot of freeze and thaw with some cold rain and snow thrown in the mix. That results in ice being mixed in with ground covers. If you plan on just a debris shelter in the winter the odds are you will have a frozen slurry of leaves and detritus from the forest floor. That's not so bad until you start up a fire or get cozy warm inside (depending on what you build). Then you have a dripping mud mess on your hands. You have to carry some spare plastic with you to use as a base before layering in your debris. Whether it's a lean-to or full hut you want something waterproof first. Once that's down the rest is pretty basic.

I like Gortex and wool so no matter what happens you still stay fairly warm.
    You've been giving some good sense advice mixed in your posts lately. I hope others are taking note.

AS - Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while but thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.