Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wire snares

I'm sure there are lots of ways to snare game. Wire has always been cheap and easy to acquire for me and, truthfully, I'd never given much thought to anything else. I do have Thompson snares but I've never used them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like using s.s. trolling line for rabbits, squirrel and such. I've used thompson snares for coyote, beaver, bobcat and such. the thompson work really well. I like their locks and swivels but I've heard they are stiff but I've not noticed. I like the trolling line because it is light weight and incidental catches will break through. but I'll use whatever I have handy.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    Why does everyone in the survival "industry" suggest wire for snares? Why not use what professional trappers use, cable? You can get all different sized cable from your local hardware store. Buy a handful of washers and nuts and you can prefab a bunch of locking snares to throw in your pack. Down rigger cable is ideal for small game and 1/8" cable is suitable for bear and such.
    That was what I was referring to with R- P Outdoors I mentioned previously. Here is a link to the snares page of their website http://www.rpoutdoors.com/animalsnares.html.

I have done business with these folks since 1991 and they have excellent equipment. I never purchase anything less than a snare which will trap a beaver. One beaver is a lot of meat although they are a pain in the a$$ to skin, but if you aren't wanting to save the pelt it is a little easier.

done my fair share of beaver trapping. Ate my first beaver for Thanksgiving when I was in the 7th grade. We were poor and my Dad shot it just for dinner. I make all my own snares. I have not bought snares after I was shown how.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    done my fair share of beaver trapping. Ate my first beaver for Thanksgiving when I was in the 7th grade. We were poor and my Dad shot it just for dinner. I make all my own snares. I have not bought snares after I was shown how.
    I have made them and purchased them When I was trapping a lot I purchased a spool of cable and made them, now I only trap a little and have long since ran out of cable, so I buy a couple dozen every year or so.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I've picked off rabbits with snares lots. My auntie makes rabbit stew or "hausinfeffer". I've caught 30 rabbits in 34 snares. Only once did I do that. Then again I've caught 0 rabbits lots. I use 19 gauge steel wire. I bought a 160 yard spool at home depot for like $4 bucks. Always good times catching rabbits.

I think you nailed it, one can have a good day or bad, In a survival kit this has always to me been dead weight. One also has to hide the human scent, and have a suitable bait, or the knowledge to properly set and hide the wire.

Has anyone here had an opportunity to set traps with a wire and not used bait? Honest how successful was it?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I actually do it all the time. We have a boat load of chipmunks around here. I set a live trap with no bait and they trip it themselves. I set it up along a runway like the foundation of the house or on top or along the landscape timbers in my garden. Anywhere they would naturally run and they catch themselves. I even caught a small squirrel in one last week. I turned him loose for Ken's sake. Make no mistake, you can go days without catching anything and bait might attract more of them but traps with no bait does work all the time. The key is to find some place where movement is pretty consistent like a runway or trail.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Just not so. A two hour soak of my subsitence long line will feed you all year. Your statement needs to be clarified by saying best way to hunt rabbit, left it at that and stayed away from fishing all together. Pound for pound big game hunting takes less time and effort as well. You just can't justify that statement.
    Yeah, I lump long lines, trot lines, jug lines, etc. in with traps and wiers for fishing. Anything that allows the fishing activity to go on without me being there, as distinguished from sitting on the bank with rod & reel, is much better than "fishing" with rod & reel in a survival situation. I've spent too many hours recreationally fishing with rod & reel and not catching anything to believe that is a viable option in a survival situation. I have no basis for believing that success rate will magically improve just because my life depends on it.
    Unfortunately, like snares here in Arizona, trot lines, traps and weirs and etc. are illegal under our state game laws so to practice I have to build one, then immediately tear it down. But I know they work and if necessary I can use them to advantage. They, like traps and snares for land animals, allow pursuit and gathering of meat without spending inordinate amounts of time in the activity, freeing me to build and improve shelters, gather firewood, water, etc.
    And yes, any land animal can be caught in a snare or trap, up to bear and moose. The trap has to be properly built of substantial materials, but they work. As for what to do with the meat from a large animal, you'd butcher it, eat what you can, then dry, jerk, and/or smoke the rest, even make some into pemmican or other foods by combining it with berries, roots, etc. you find in the area. Only thing is to make camp some distance away from the kill site of large game to avoid problems with competing predators who may be drawn by the scent.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I think you nailed it, one can have a good day or bad, In a survival kit this has always to me been dead weight. One also has to hide the human scent, and have a suitable bait, or the knowledge to properly set and hide the wire.

Has anyone here had an opportunity to set traps with a wire and not used bait? Honest how successful was it?
    Are you sure you understand the concept of trapping? Maybe I have misunderstood your question, however, you do not usually need bait to snare an animal. You place the wire loop over the trail the animal is frequent to. This means the animal runs through the loop by it's own free will. Rabbits do not pay too much attentionto human odor in my expierence.

AF&AM

How about some pics of the snares y'all are using

well let me throw my hat into this..
    first off let me qualify this, i do not know scat about trapping, i just started my trapping apprenticeship this past monday, skinned my first two beavers last night, what i am about to talk about comes out of my trapping manuel that the ontario fur managers federation has put out, a 40 hour course is mandatory here plus being a trappers helper, allot of guys on the fire dept here are trappers so i have allot of expereince and opporunity at my disposal.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    well let me throw my hat into this..
    first off let me qualify this, i do not know scat about trapping, i just started my trapping apprenticeship this past monday, skinned my first two beavers last night, what i am about to talk about comes out of my trapping manuel that the ontario fur managers federation has put out, a 40 hour course is mandatory here plus being a trappers helper, allot of guys on the fire dept here are trappers so i have allot of expereince and opporunity at my disposal.
    page 53-58 cover snares, the basic componets are the snare cable, lock and ferrules, suspeneded snares are not legal in all parts of ontario so must consult local laws. airplane cable is highly reccommended but you can also use galvanized and stailess steel, multiple different sizes depend upon the type of animal you are wanting to harvest.
    thats about all i can say to that, other than the fact that i beleive that haveing the ability to set some snares will help my chances of surviving a survival event. any benefit is not a waste of time, but everyone has a different philosophy, me personally thats why i am getting certified as a trapper to help myself in every avenue i can..
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

A lot of interesting points of view here. The original post asked about what snare wire to include in a survival kit. If basic survival is your concern, the legality is a moot point isn't it? Go to any outdoors store and they'll have rolls of brass snare wire, I don't know what gauge that will stop a rabbit or squirrel for you. It's all you need. Do what AS said and familiarize yourself with snaring before you need to. Otherwise you will be wasting a lot of energy. What flanders said is true for rabbits. Away you go.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Simply put- 19 gauge.

22-24 gauge will work nicely for squirrel and rabbit. You can even use natural cordage if you use a spring snare.

To address the OP, the size of snare wire depends on how big the animal is you're trying to catch.
    Cable is used by professional trappers, but they're not carrying it in a personal survival kit. For a survival kit I prefer to carry 50-lb or 75-lb. braided fishing line, like Spyderwire, as it's light, makes good snares, a bobbin will carry many yards and it is so useful for other things such as sewing up torn gear, lashing up shelters, etc.
    For wire, the old mil surp boobytrap trip wire works well for squirrel and rabbit size animals.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Default What to do with meat...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't know what you do with all the meat from a big animal in a survival situation. Seems a waste but then so does starving to death.
    Just cooking can make meat last a couple days, smoking it, a little longer, jerky for weeks to months or more. If you can find a way to keep it cool, or freeze it, it can last months. Grandad had smoked hams hanging in the root cellar for months. Personally, I'd go for jerky/ dehydration if I didn't have cooling available. I have a hanging 24" x 24" 4 shelf screened unit, and a big mosquito net that can cover a good sized rack or racks depending on design. Fresh, cooked or smoked meat is also nice trade goods. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Also the offal can be used as bait and fertilizer, especially fish.

I have caught a lot of snowshoe rabbits with just 30 pound fish line. I've heard that rabbits are supposed to chew and get loose, but I have never had this happen. Haven't lost a single one from a broken line. Buy some of those little electrical connectors that they use for automotive wiring. It's a flat tab with a little hole in the center and a little blue plastic tube at the other end for crimping over a wire. Bend the connector in half to 90 degrees and crimp it at the end of the fish line. Thread the other end of the line through the little hole. Put it through from the inside of the 90 degree bend to make your loop. You will have a one way slide that only allows the loop to tighten like a beaver drowning slide. They are cheap, simple, scarcely visible, you can carry a hundred of them, and they are easy to set in the runways in the snow and work just fine.
    I've never tried fish line for larger animals, but they might work if you went to larger sizes. Probably not for canines, since they chew too much, but possibly cats might be caught.