Thread: Replacing Older Appliances

Default Replacing Older Appliances

I have a question on replacing older model refrigerators with newer ones. I have one I have been using for over 17 yrs. My best guess is it was produced in the 80's...it has never needed repair. I kinda fell into one that was produced in '94..I am undecided about changing them out or selling one or the other. Are the efficiency gaines worth the change? One thing that worries me is that the newer one is probably designed to fail at some point as is the norm of recent years..Anyone have any experience to share? I'll probably end up hanging onto both..
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I doubt there would be a big improvement from an 80's model to an early 90's one. If you were to buy a new one though, you would notice a reduction in your power bill.

The trick with newer models is to keep the grid dusted and keep it away from the walls by manufacturers spec. Don't enclose them in a small space. To be efficient they have to breath. But I don't think you'll see much difference between the 80s and 90s fridge either.

I wouldnt sell a working fridge if I had storage space I would save it for the day mine died. just a thought.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That too. Or use it for things you don't want in your good fridge. We used to get crates of lobster bodies and kept them in the downstairs fridge while picking them. No way mom would let em in the kitchen fridge.

Or those barrels of ground pork seasoned for sausage...

Or it's a good place to stash the survival beer...

I have an 80's model in the garage that I keep refreshments in. I have a newer one in the house. There's no reason you can't utilize both. I assume both have a freezer compartment so you can freeze some of the stuff you get out of your daughter's garden. I'm with Camp. I don't think there is much efficiency improvement between the two.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I found this on Wikipedia..It appears there might be a difference..Yes I will keep both! Yes, Rick both have freezers.. Maybe I'll just try it for a month and see!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

And, like Welderguy said, if either one quits you still have a backup which is pretty handy. My 80's model decided some time ago that it didn't want to defrost itself anymore so instead of getting it fixed like a normal person I just defrost it every 3 months or so.

I don't know about where you live but around here any appliance that has freon has to be "drained" by a pro before you can toss it. You can even take it to the landfill unless it has a certificate that it has had the freon removed professionally. That runs about $50 here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One can never have too many fridgs.
    Try out the newer one, but save the older one for spare, or garage/basement/porch/shop fridge.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't know about where you live but around here any appliance that has freon has to be "drained" by a pro before you can toss it. You can even take it to the landfill unless it has a certificate that it has had the freon removed professionally. That runs about $50 here.
    Here, if you have an appliance you don't want - set it out by the curb. It will be gone before the end of the day. In the odd chance that it isn't (not likely) the city will pick up old appliances at no charge (never could figure out that expenditure of tax dollars).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Best way is do as Crash says only put a FOR SALE sign on it. That will guarantee it to disappear much faster.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Here they no longer require you to drain them, the garbage man just hauls em off.

Also, the junkyard will now pay you to recover/ recycle the refrigerant and will pay you for the aluminum and such in the coil and that as well.

We put an old fridge in the unheated shed and it quit working once it got cold outside. It sounds odd to me, but I've had several people tell me they are not designed to work in near freezing temps.??

Give me your address. When mine goes belly up I'll drop it off in front of your house.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Here, if you have an appliance you don't want - set it out by the curb. It will be gone before the end of the day. In the odd chance that it isn't (not likely) the city will pick up old appliances at no charge (never could figure out that expenditure of tax dollars).
    Around here Crash,they only do that one time a year,AND the thing must be tagged that the freon has been removed.

Which is why the County spends thousands of tax dollars,cleaning those items (among other things,since you must also put trash in a .75 cent trash bag or it won't be picked up)out of the local creeks and ditches. Alot of flooding issues because bubba keeps dumping his trash out there.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

A quick search of the net on an idea I had..I thought what about converting the older fridge into a freezer? I found one ehow but couldn't get a link up..Any thoughts on my latest stroke of genious? I could really use the freezer capacity to stock up during hunting and growing seasons.

I'd say if the old fridge still works hang on to it and if it doesn't then gut it out, you can make a really good meat smoker out of them.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I'm no appliance king but I would think the only thing you have to do is allow enough air flow from the freezer to the fridge and you'd convert it. Most refrigerators have a single compressor for both units and some type of baffle that diverts the air from the freezer into the fridge part. The more air diverted the colder the fridge. The thermostat in the freezer controls the compressor and the dial in the fridge controls the baffle.

You can also leave it like it is, take out the shelves and add a keg. Drill a hole for the CO2 and a hole for the tap and presto! Instant keg cooler.

THANKS Rick! That is the way I viewed it working. The info on the net said I would need to change out the thermostat, but I am going to give it a go and let you know! Oh! and Cowboy and a whole keg...probably not a good idea!

Why would you need to change thermostats? It already is factory set for the freezer. All you want the compressor to do is run a bit longer to make the fridge cold. Look at your air intake on the fridge side. Where the air comes out. See if it doesn't come from the freezer. Then adjust the dial in the fridge and see if you don't get more or less air flowing into the fridge. There might also be a hole at the bottom of the fridge between it and the freezer to control the cold air to the meat bin. Open it all the way, turn your fridge to the coldest setting and I'll bet you have a side by side freezer or a top/bottom freezer in nothing flat.

I am following you Rick! Should have a report by the weekend!