Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mesquite beans

LOL! You mean the fiber content?

I had to do some googling, but that number is the Phosphorous/Calcium ratio.

http://www.answers.com/topic/phosphorus-and-calcium

If I'm reading correctly, too much Phosphorous will cause calcium to leach from the bones. But a good ratio means calcium goes into the bones.

Most references I'm finding refer to animal nutrition though. I'm not sure how important it is in human diet.
    Last edited by grrlscout; 01-12-2011 at 10:05 AM.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kinda...
    I was actually referring to the % In-vitro digestibility. 66.5% is pretty good.

See, the cells in our body are basically tiny nuclear reactors. They use chemicals to break bonds in the molecules of the food we eat to extract energy. The 34.5% waste is very efficient for beans. Lots of energy and not a lot of "toxic dump" (using an analogy here..)

It's been a while since I've looked into these dietary factors.

It is true phosphorous will leach calcium from bones.. but consider this: too much calcium can cause bone spurs. This is an important ratio if you are prone to osteoporosis, or spurs (like runs in my family). I actually take a lot less calcium than most folks. I don't drink milk so most of mine comes from the foods I eat. (and thanks for the reminder on P)

As far as the animal/human thing goes, humans are less succeptible to many of the things that affect cattle, horses, or pets. The numbers should be relevant to a dietician tho, if you know anyone who might give you a rundown on how to use them. I knew a lady who went to work at the hospital up town as the dietician.. Maybe the wife will run into her at her new job.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chemical bonds are cool.

I'm a nerd, LOL

Well, I'm just glad that someone can make sense of it!