Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

wow nativedude thats impressive , how big was the cabin?

Thumbs up

Thanks Marcraft!

It is 16'x20' with 7 1/2' side walls and 9' ridge beam. I fell the trees in the early summer of '04 and built it in the late spring of '05. I just finished the final touches on the dunne and food cache this past summer. I have lived there full time for the last year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    wow nativedude thats impressive , how big was the cabin?
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Blog Entries

Quite impressive, good to know someone round here other than WrEagle69 is living off the land Will be me in a few years.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Possible to get some pictures? Id love to see that cabin sounds nice and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Possible to get some pictures? Id love to see that cabin sounds nice and warm.
    I will try to dig up some pics. It is the first place that has ever felt like and I have ever truly called "home" in my 43 years.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Default Saws & Axes info.

I carry one and was wondering who else carries them. What kinds and how often you use them? I use mine every time I go out. The Sven Saw folds flat and weighs next to nothing. 1&1/2 inch wide and 22 inches long. It has made getting fire wood ready fairly quickly.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I have a folding saw similar to the sven saw and also one that fits in a tube andsets up like a buck saw they both work very well.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I used to carry one but then I started making my fire with long logs and letting the fire cut them for me. But a folding saw is definitely useful, don't get me wrong.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

I love my folding saw. I didn't even buy the best one out there either. Mine is a Coghlans sierra saw, and it really tears through logs. I like it because cutting a log is safer than trying to break one by hand, and there is something nice about having fresh cut firewood for your fire. It's really light too.

I carry the Sawvivor (available from Campmor.com). It's pretty rugged and collapses into a small package. There's also a bone saw blade available for it if you needed it for quartering game.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    I used to carry one but then I started making my fire with long logs and letting the fire cut them for me. But a folding saw is definitely useful, don't get me wrong.
    Yep, what he said.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Carry a hatchet so no need for a folding saw. Then again I find wood the size I need to I don't to cut as much.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

A saw can be so much more in the woods . It can keep pointy stick ups down and cutting slots for frames and things you want to have a good fit a lot of uses for a saw even if it is on your swiss army knife.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I don't mind letting the fire cut the logs but it seems like I need to watch it more when the wood is hanging out of the fire ring. I know it can't travel that fast but it makes me feel better knowing that every piece of wood is inside the rocks and less likely to travel.

I prefer to carry a modified Ghurka over a hatchet. It's pretty light, inexpensive, tough and works pretty well for chopping. Saves my straight blade, too. Of course, I'm not building a cabin out there, either. But for a debris shelters and such it works just fine. I posted some pictures and a write up on:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...?t=1034&page=2

Post #30 if you're interested.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Okay, three pages in I'll tell ya, I carry one full size custom hawk the Danny made me. It is a copy of my H&B that was given to me by an old friend who won it in Friendship. Donny's hawk is made of steel horseshoes, razor sharp and I decor. the handle. Good for chopping, throwing, and fighting.

The second is a little bag ax, it has a little pole on the back of it, and it is also razor sharp.

Blog Entries

Here is a pic of my large hawk and my bag ax.

http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

And, you can shave with either one of them.

Lightbulb

I see posts all the time where people state that their knives and axes are "shaving sharp", why would anyone try to shave with a knife or axe? One slip and you're the headless horseman!!

I have a straight razor that I use (when I used to shave.) Now that I keep "razor sharp", but my knives, axes, & hatchets are sharp enough to shave bark off of a tree, but if I slip shaving a tree I don't have to worry about bleeding to death or being the headless horseman!!

Blog Entries

It's an expression. You've been out of the woods too long.

I have two small hand axes. Whether I carry one or not depends on where I'm going and for how long I plan to stay out. I carry it on my belt.
    Walk softly upon the earth!