Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

I'm with volwest and owl girl apparently....I don't carry one. Usually carry a full-sized kukri (like a machete but more versatile IMHO). Makes very quick work of reasonable size wood and doubles as a large fixed-bladed knife and is fairly lightweight. I have a machete too, but for some reason, I'm personally not as proficient with it.

I like axes and think that if the workmanship is there it is hard to beat, I have several swedish axes that are of good quality that I like a lot, some of the CS hawks are interesting with a little modification. I like folding saws also but again they need to be of high quality to work efficently. In camp axes and saws are great but in the survival role a large all purpose knife may be the better choice.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Default Scandi "Axe"

As a Finn I perfer a traditional Lapland leuku instead of an axe. I usually carry just a puukko knife if I'm out and about for a day trip. For a longer trip I carry a combo of puukko and leuku. Leuku is big enough to use as an axe and with puukko I can do everything else I need to... simple and practical tools in a same sheath!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

I got a great Hawk I take everytime I hit the forest, also have a hatchet that works well but don't use it as much as my Hawk.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Only reason you'd need an ax over a knife, or in addition to a knife, would be if you are trying to fell or manage large chunks of wood. If you are doing some major bushcrafting by building a canoe or permanent structure, yes by all means bring one. But other than that a folding saw will suit most needs.

Hatchet should never be brought unless space is an absolute concern. For each 6" of handle gives about 100lbs or more PSI on the downstroke, not to mention 6" of half-wrist-thick wood doesn't weight much and should never be undermined by a hatchet. Let's put it this way, a 1.5lb head on a hatchet may take you an hour to chop thru a tree. But the same head on an armpit-to-hand length ax handle will do the job in at least half the time, and with less stress on the arms. The weight difference is only the small amount of extra wood you have in the handle.

Now that I've said my peace, the best ax would be multipurpose ax of the length described above. 1.5-2.0lb head is the best, anything more should be put on a longer shaft and be used for felling. The 1.5lb head on a 2-3ft shaft can fell, cut, limb, pound (though I do not recommend ax heads for pounding as it can destroy the eye), etc. Carbon steel, of course, ground to a concaved razor edge using file, stone, leather in that order.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Blog Entries

Nope take my Hawk everywhere
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I always carry an axe when I'm out camping. Once I forgot it, and had to break all of the fire wood by hand. Needless to say, it was a small pile of wood,(sticks and twigs) and barely got me through the night.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

I've got a small, Buck Backpacking hand axe as well as a "Boy Scout size Axe. Add one large and one small Bow Saw to the mix and I'm ready for as much firewood as I can handle. If I was going to build a cabin I'd want a chain saw, but lacking that a full-size double-bit axe w/ maul & wedges. Can't be to prepared. I also have a Gerber folding saw that has two blades as well as the smaller ones on my Victorinox Swiss-Army knives.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have a Mini Axe. Pre 1900, 8oz, little thing. It is too light for throwing. It is for cutting. I also carry a folding saw in my pack and TDW(The Dear Wife) has one too. TDW has a Vaughn sounding 8oz hatchet on her BOB and a Estwing Sportsman's hatchet in her pack.

An axe is a great tool and I never thought that throwing one was an option. What if you miss? You just gave someone, with an attitude, a weapon! IMO not a good thing!

I also think knowing the proper way to use one is important. Like any tool it has its uses. It takes skill to use one right. Smacking a tree freely, without thought is dangerous. Like a tool we need to learn how to use it, keep it in good working order and respect it.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

its just my personal preference but i carry a kukuri magnum (18") and think it works way beter then any hatchets i have used (albeit i never bought expensive ones) though it isnt as good for chopping wood i have a great need for its brush clearing skills so depending on where your going (you wont need to clear brush in a camp)try either out for a bit and find which you prefer

Blog Entries

Question Yo Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    its just my personal preference but i carry a kukuri magnum (18") and think it works way beter then any hatchets i have used (albeit i never bought expensive ones) though it isnt as good for chopping wood i have a great need for its brush clearing skills so depending on where your going (you wont need to clear brush in a camp)try either out for a bit and find which you prefer
    I've been checking out the Cold Steel stuff and they sell 3 Kukri Machetes. !st one for about $20, 2nd one for about $125, and the third one for about $500. which one do you have?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

i have the longest one , i dont think they have it on there sight i got it from SIR for $50 at 75% off , its epoxy coated with a 20'' blade

Blog Entries

Good ole hawk is best to me
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    $175.00 but thats just my choice.

thats a throwing axe isnt it ?

Blog Entries

Yup, also got a camp hatchet but no pick as of yet this does the trick every time I use it for other uses though.
    Last edited by Beo; 11-09-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Beo thatis a nice looking hawk I have a large book on knife and hawk fighting that is real informative. I take some of the cold steel hawks and modify them to suit my taste for actual utility use iI prefer a hammer poll over a spike but a spike is got cool written all over it.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Don't let Beowulf fool you guys, he's great with a knife and can make them as well but it takes him like 2 weeks for one knife cause he'a a perfectionist. I still got a skinner he gave me back in 89, looks good and holds a fine edge but as with all his stuff he tends to go traditional or from the 1700s which I'm sure he's ranted on.

Nice hawk,Beowulf,although I question the utility of the backspike.I prefer a carpenters hatchet for survival/camp chores.That would be a fine weapon to have at hand once the bullets ran out.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I've been checking out the Cold Steel stuff and they sell 3 Kukri Machetes. !st one for about $20, 2nd one for about $125, and the third one for about $500. which one do you have?
    I Have a Kukri machete also. Mine is a KA-BAR 17" long machete with a 12" blade. I love it for cutting down small trees. Me and my dad had a race who could cut through a tree faster. He had a hatchet and i had the machete. I won! I won because i keep it sooo sharp, you could drop a greasy hair and it would split iut right up the middle.

Thumbs up

This is the knife I carry. And these are the hatchets and axe I used to build my cabin and furniture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nativedude; 01-12-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.