Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Saws & Axes info.

Buhahahha. I assure you I'm a tad larger than 4'11" and 98 pounds soaking wet or not. The Cold Steel Hawk is a favorite..even for this big guy. I also have a hand crafted Crash hawk that's a bit heavier and just as treasured. I'm really beginning to question your posts. The SOG Tactical is 15.75 inches long and weighs in at 24 ounces with a 2.25 inch face. The Fasthawk is even smaller. The Frontier is 22 inches in length, weighs 24 ounces and has a 3.25 inch edge. The Frontier is a larger hawk than either of the SOGs.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That sounds like a lot of testing there AW........Thanks for your efforts.

When in primitive camp, Mountain man stuff I use a hand forged hawk, actually several.
    For wood prep I have a short handled single bit ax with a thick back, splitting and shaving tinder.

When hunting I just carry a small hand ax on my fanny pack.....
    If camping, a large cruiser ax is available.....Home Depot ? brand.

Actully don't use it them all that much.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i carry a Gransfors Bruks camping axe and a take down tube saw, between these two i can cut, chop anything i need !!

Not much of an AXE Man..more of a machete and knife, and yes, I do carry a folding saw...wait a minute ..forgot the brand,....Bathco or something like that.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Has anyone used an M48 hawk? I've never used one, but I hear conflicting reports about it. Some people think its the end-all-be-all of hawks, and others think its garbage. What's your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Wolf View Post
    Has anyone used an M48 hawk? I've never used one, but I hear conflicting reports about it. Some people think its the end-all-be-all of hawks, and others think its garbage. What's your opinion?
    No....Not much for "Tactical"...I would rather carry a useful tool.
    Carry the hatchet, but replaced the knife with a Mora.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What would your use be?

I prefer a ax, hatchet or tomahawk with a flat poll for driving stakes and such.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

All the trappers on Mountain Men use a small single but ax for most everything.,

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What would your use be?
    I am looking for another tool to tackle light brush and overgrowth. Something that can be both carried into the field for camping and left in my vehicle for day to day use.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I prefer a ax, hatchet or tomahawk with a flat poll for driving stakes and such.
    You know in "The Ax Book" by D. Cook its mentioned several times not to use the poll of an ax for hitting. Then it goes on to say how usefull the poll is for hitting things and its advantages over a double bitted ax for that reason. I use the poll on my axes, hatchets and haws for a hammer all the time. But, its usually something soft though.

In a pinch we have used the poll on a felling axe to straighten a bent rim in the back country. The rims damage prevented it from holding a proper bead and the air would leak out. A couple of well placed poll swings and she was good as new.

I now have small sledge for that purpose on the Polaris.

What is your preferred hatchet Randy? Like fjrmurph said he carries a Gransfors Bruks and I have seen others with hatchets that sell for about $120 and they swear by them. I have never used one.

I don't have a preferred per say but here are a couple I use a lot. I reckon that's preferred LOL.

Here's plumb I use often
    [/IMG][/URL]hotobucket.com/user/randytlee/media/030.jpg.html]Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]

I also have wetterings purchased for 20 dollar from Smillie's flea market in Anderson N.C. a few year back, don't have a photo of that one.

I have also been known to hit the poll of a ax with a cudgel to perform a task if need be, just takes finesse.

I'm really more of a ax man though. The ax leaning against the estwing is the one I use the most. The broad ax belonged to my great, great, granddad. The other ax to the other side of my preferred is a Kelly keen kutter that someone used as a wedge and broke the eye. My granddad straightened it out and welded it up with nickel rod, then welded a new bit from truck spring into it.

so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I can't justify spending 120 dollars on a ax or hatchet. Although I fooled with a bruks black forest axe last weekend and was smitten but still won't spend that much money. Don't blame a person that does though.

wanted to add after second thought I've spent more than that on a knife so really for a good ax $120 is not all bad.
    Last edited by randyt; 09-28-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added text

Blog Entries

I used several hawks that I have forged over the years and really enjoy them. About a year ago I purchases a silky saw from the arborist store online and have never looked back. Granted I am in Louisiana and a big knife or machete is a better choice than an axe or hatchet but I am simply amazed at the speed and efficiency that it processes TREES!! It will saw a tree that you would normally choose to chop far fast with few calories used, weighs maybe a pound and can fit in your pocket.
    I am not putting the axe or hatchet down but just sharing something that is just bewildering to see in action. I have yet to wear the blade out after a year of use. food for thought.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

I use saws and machetes much more frequently as well. And my folding saw sits on the side of my pack.

But, each tool does have its place and use. In our woods a saw and machete makes more sense.

This is an awesome multi tool ax head that's light and can easily be carried or attached to a backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...868e1a4c26cbb8

Have you actually ever used one?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah! I don't own one though

I don't believe I would spend $162 bucks on one....?

My experience is that things like this are a gimmick.....Sorry.

Not for me.

people do use axe, depends where you car going, if you are in thick forests, you definitely need an axe for chopping wood, maybe to make camp fore or a trap or other uses.

I have a few different types & sizes of hatchets including a craftsman, a splitting axe, a felling axe, a double bit axe, & a wedge.

For bush, i have a few different types of machetes', a vintage Indian kukri knife & a round of the mill kukri, couple hand chainsaws too, and an electric & a gas Craftsman chainsaw.

But now the number one thing I use is the speed dial, for Adams Tree Service... the beauty of getting older & lazy.